Pro12 General Discussion

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Pro12 General Discussion

Post by The Doc »

johng wrote:
The Doc wrote:
johng wrote:Final venue.

Glasgow v Ulster = Ibrox
Leinster v Glasgow = RDS
Leinster v Munster = LR or RDS (Quite possibly LR
Munster v Ulster = LR or (More likely) TP
1 out of 4 right I'd say. Why play a final in Ibrox in front of 10k.

Or a half full Aviva
Ibrox or Rugby Park in Kilmarnock are the only places available AFAIK.

RDS for Glasgow no question

Thomond Park the most likely for Munster v Ulster

LR for Leinster v Munster is well possible, otherwise RDS

Which one of those is the right one?
Don't think it will be LR for any of the games... Certainly not Munster home game. And history says knock out Pro12 games are not sell outs in the RDS even for derbies... Big call to rent LR and have 20k at it. Would need to be confident of 35k+

Ulster won't bring 10k anywhere... Let alone Scotland. Crazy to use Ibrox.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

johng wrote:Final venue.

Glasgow v Ulster = Ibrox
Leinster v Glasgow = RDS
Leinster v Munster = LR or RDS (Quite possibly LR
Munster v Ulster = LR or (More likely) TP
If leinster are in it, the final will be in the rds as explained before.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

the drop in the welsh crowds are terrible (ours especially), really bad news for the league as a whole.

Glasgow vs Ulster at Ibrox? 1 big sash sing a long!

All jokes aside I'll be amazed if at least 1 of leinster or Munster don't make the final
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

JB1973 wrote:the drop in the welsh crowds are terrible (ours especially), really bad news for the league as a whole.

Glasgow vs Ulster at Ibrox? 1 big sash sing a long!

All jokes aside I'll be amazed if at least 1 of leinster or Munster don't make the final
Love your confidence but I'm assuming you didn't see the last round of games :D

Don't think either Leinster or Munster have "gimme"'s - far from it. If Munster get their act together I'd have them as marginal favourites. Think ours is pretty much a scratch game tbh
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Maybe if Munster played their home league games in the south of france or england their attendences would go up :P
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
[Jackass]
Seán Cronin

Post by [Jackass] »

Any word on if there's a new sponsor lined up for the league next season?
Pro12 Champions, Amlin Challenge Cup Champions, British & Irish Cup Champions
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

[Jackass] wrote:Any word on if there's a new sponsor lined up for the league next season?
Quote from part of GT article re the New European Competition. Full article can be found on Europe Comp thread.

"Gerry Thornley
Tue, May 13, 2014, 12:00
First published: Tue, May 13, 2014, 12:00
Will Heineken, whose rumoured title sponsorship of the Pro12 looks very out of sync with their interest in major pan-European or global events, be interested in having any involvement?"

Interesting scenario if they drop Europe for the Pro 12. With the alcohol advertising ban in France they would still be able to advertise their brand in four of the six HC countries. (Five if Sky show games in England as well).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Hornet wrote:
[Jackass] wrote:Any word on if there's a new sponsor lined up for the league next season?
Quote from part of GT article re the New European Competition. Full article can be found on Europe Comp thread.

"Gerry Thornley
Tue, May 13, 2014, 12:00
First published: Tue, May 13, 2014, 12:00
Will Heineken, whose rumoured title sponsorship of the Pro12 looks very out of sync with their interest in major pan-European or global events, be interested in having any involvement?"

Interesting scenario if they drop Europe for the Pro 12. With the alcohol advertising ban in France they would still be able to advertise their brand in four of the six HC countries. (Five if Sky show games in England as well).
I didn't quite understand why it looks out of snyc, why shouldn't Heineken sponsor the only international league in Europe? The other two, are isolated one country leagues, one of which by law they can't sponsor the other with falling attendances and falling tv tune in and seems to be run by a crowd of shits in the likes of Craig, Wray etc. who throw their toys out of the pram when they don't get their way.

The new Euro comp is unlikely to have one title sponsor and seems to be going down the associated brand route, one of the major fallouts from the PRL/LNR action IMO would be a reluctance on the part of previous sponsors of ERC to get on board with the new product after having existing relationships so soured. Plus I'd bet a large amount of people will still call the new cup the Heino anyway.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

TerenureJim wrote: The new Euro comp is unlikely to have one title sponsor and seems to be going down the associated brand route, one of the major fallouts from the PRL/LNR action IMO would be a reluctance on the part of previous sponsors of ERC to get on board with the new product after having existing relationships so soured. Plus I'd bet a large amount of people will still call the new cup the Heino anyway.
I think a bigger problem is that the brands themselves will have problems with the value they'd extract from such an arrangement. Its one thing for the Champions League, the premier club competition of the worlds most popular sport with massive global penetration to do that way, its quite another for a sport that is a minority sport even in each of the participating countries to attempt it. There isn't enough consumer focus on the competition to split it 6 or 8 or however many ways.
I have Bumbleflex
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Dave Cahill wrote:
TerenureJim wrote: The new Euro comp is unlikely to have one title sponsor and seems to be going down the associated brand route, one of the major fallouts from the PRL/LNR action IMO would be a reluctance on the part of previous sponsors of ERC to get on board with the new product after having existing relationships so soured. Plus I'd bet a large amount of people will still call the new cup the Heino anyway.
I think a bigger problem is that the brands themselves will have problems with the value they'd extract from such an arrangement. Its one thing for the Champions League, the premier club competition of the worlds most popular sport with massive global penetration to do that way, its quite another for a sport that is a minority sport even in each of the participating countries to attempt it. There isn't enough consumer focus on the competition to split it 6 or 8 or however many ways.
Very well said, much and all as we may love rugby on here, it is a minority (but growing) sport even in the 8/9 major playing nations (NZ aside) which doesn't have the mass appeal/reach of something like major football events or olympics where the event is a brand in and of itself that sponsors want to buy into.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Dave Cahill wrote:
..something which seems to have escaped the attention of our PRL friends.
Dont Panic!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

planetrugby.com pro12 team of the year

Payne (Ulster)
Hassler (Ospreys)
Henshaw (Connacht)
Reid (Leinster)
Matawalu (Glasgow)
Biggar (Ospreys)
Davies (Scarlets)
Copeland (Cardiff)
Murphy (Leinster)
Strauss (Glasgow)
Gray (Glasgow)
AWJ (Ospreys)
Nel (Edinburgh)
Cronin (Leinster)
Kilcoyne (Munster)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote:
It's all about merit. Different leagues should sort different sponsorship so they can later have a better case for fighting over the split later.

The size of the pie isn't important, the size of the slice isn't even top priority — it's all about having a slice that is bigger than others.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Dave Cahill wrote:
McCafferty said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that the new competition may still be called the Heineken Cup, if that is the case then they may have changed their minds and are doing serious boot licking at present as last reliable report I heard was they actually don't have any sponsors yet.
Same goes for PRO12 as the messing around by the Welsh and English has done untold damage all round in the sponsorship plans.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Dexter wrote: ..something which seems to have escaped the attention of our PRL friends.
We have friends in the PRL?
Four Stars
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

Lar wrote:
Dexter wrote: ..something which seems to have escaped the attention of our PRL friends.
We have friends in the PRL?
The WRU certainly don't !
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

rooster wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
McCafferty said in an interview a couple of weeks ago that the new competition may still be called the Heineken Cup, if that is the case then they may have changed their minds and are doing serious boot licking at present as last reliable report I heard was they actually don't have any sponsors yet.
Same goes for PRO12 as the messing around by the Welsh and English has done untold damage all round in the sponsorship plans.
Might as in, we wouldn't rule it out if a deal can be made.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

I could be wrong but I thought where you have one deal finishing and a new sponsor coming in, no announcements are made until the competition finishes. It would be slightly "impolite" to Rabo if there was a big statement saying the enxt sponsor would be "XYZ" which would effectively take away from their involvement in the semis & finals.

Trying to think back to when Magners finished up and Rabo took over - I don't think anyone knew the name until the off season
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The Doc wrote:
I could be wrong but I thought where you have one deal finishing and a new sponsor coming in, no announcements are made until the competition finishes. It would be slightly "impolite" to Rabo if there was a big statement saying the enxt sponsor would be "XYZ" which would effectively take away from their involvement in the semis & finals.

Trying to think back to when Magners finished up and Rabo took over - I don't think anyone knew the name until the off season
It wasn't announced officially until that June
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Does this also explain the sponsor of the Heineken Cup?