Super 15 2014

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ceemec
Shane Jennings

Re: Super 15 2014

Post by ceemec »

Amz wrote:Great final!

Kinda pleased it was McCaw who gave away final penalty.
Every penalty he conceded was punished. 3 conceded, 9 points scored. Will be a bitter pill for him to swallow.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Lamb of BOD wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Hadn't heard of Foley before but he's an all round class act as a ten. Bit like Jonny sexton
He's been a revelation for the 'Tahs this season. He's still a very young man - although he looks older than he is - so is likely to improve. Australia might well have their nex long-term outside half
He's not really someone who has just exploded onto the scene this season. He was playing for Australia last year and has 50 Super Rugby games under his belt. He's 25 in a month.

Very good player but he has been a bit rigid in the past. The huge boost for him this year is having Beale outside him who is taking on a lot of the creative element to the backline. If Foley is going to be the outhalf for Australia, they need to persist with another fly half type player at 12 (which they've been doing with Toomua). With that said, Foley is certainly improving as you say.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I think a part of Foley's ascent is down to them not being so obsessed with getting one of the maverick tens (Cooper, Beale, JOC) on the field. He's a proper ten and both the Tahs and Australia have much more control and a better structure with him in there.

Some incredible tries today. Such a pity we couldn't get AAC!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think a part of Foley's ascent is down to them not being so obsessed with getting one of the maverick tens (Cooper, Beale, JOC) on the field. He's a proper ten and both the Tahs and Australia have much more control and a better structure with him in there.

give it a year, dont forget BOD was his rolemodel so he'd love to fill his boots
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Is Cheika the first coach to win a Heineken Cup and Super Rugby title?
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Cianostays wrote:Is Cheika the first coach to win a Heineken Cup and Super Rugby title?
Pretty sure he is actually.
Cianostays
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Cianostays »

Donny B. wrote:
Cianostays wrote:Is Cheika the first coach to win a Heineken Cup and Super Rugby title?
Pretty sure he is actually.
That's a great bit of History for him to look back on and smile about when he retires. Genuinely thrilled for him.
The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day.

Gerry Thornley 23/3/09. 'Nuff said.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Delighted for Cheiks. Some really astute coaching also cf.:
  • Placement of AAC as a "2nd Row" catcher for their restarts;
    The depth of his entire chase line at 'Tahs restarts;
    Use of Foley and Beale as inter-changable out-half;
    Use of short-side to keep momentum of attacks when using forward ball carriers;
    Kicking behind Crusaders left wing;
    Passing to ball-carriers two and three out
All fairly mundane stuff but exactly the sort of details that usually the NZ teams focus on.
All in all a great final, with Kane Douglas showing a far bit of dog, both in the tackle and rucks. Playing seriously hard for 80 mins which was great to see.

Aussies will be a serious side this season and have a big aggressive set of forwards available but several of the Sup 15 franchises have worked out how to limit the threat of Israel Falou
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Read is an astonishing player.

Nice to see the touch judge calling some offsides as the ref seemed to have forgotten that rule, especially for the Crusaders.

Very enjoyable match and a helluva kick to win it.
Avenger
Seán Cronin

Post by Avenger »

Delighted for Cheika.
He was a massive part of installing the winning culture we sometimes take for granted now.
“The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else.” - JOHN MADDEN
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

enby wrote:Read is an astonishing player.

Nice to see the touch judge calling some offsides as the ref seemed to have forgotten that rule, especially for the Crusaders.

Very enjoyable match and a helluva kick to win it.
I thought Read was cr@p when he first started :lol:

Couldn't understand how himself and Adam Thomson were All Blacks,he's arguably the best player in the world now though.

Great to see Beale playing so well again. There was a great shot of himself and Cheika embracing at the end and pretty sure Beale kept shouting "I effing love you!!" In his ear.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Ive thought this for a while but Aussies could be darkhorses for world cup, not afraid of BNZ, other teams in group can take points off each other
Just need Foley to stay fit and ideally one or two of the backline miscreants to behave for a year
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

simonokeeffe wrote:Ive thought this for a while but Aussies could be darkhorses for world cup, not afraid of BNZ, other teams in group can take points off each other
Just need Foley to stay fit and ideally one or two of the backline miscreants to behave for a year
Absolutely. Hard to believe they were such a shambles a year ago. Absolutely dreadful against the Lions and then lost their new captain to Europe, along with a few others. Seems like a very together group to me and I think the players really believe in McKenzie. I said at the time that I really feared for rugby in Australia but thankfully things look much better now, even if players are still heading to Europe.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

I'd hold fire on the Australian side yet. This season the Waratahs have been excellent but it's very, very reminiscent of 2011 when the Reds won the title and Cooper and Genia were scintillating. The Waratahs set piece was still pretty poor with Kepu, TPN, Skelton, Hooper and Palu in it who are 5 likely players in the RC. I just can never see them being successful until they sort out that set piece.

Australia look a bit more cohesive these days but they haven't really played anyone decent yet.

I'd say they should consider it a successful tournament if they finish above 3rd. I can see South Africa and NZ still battering them on the road and grinding them into submission.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:I'd hold fire on the Australian side yet. This season the Waratahs have been excellent but it's very, very reminiscent of 2011 when the Reds won the title and Cooper and Genia were scintillating. The Waratahs set piece was still pretty poor with Kepu, TPN, Skelton, Hooper and Palu in it who are 5 likely players in the RC. I just can never see them being successful until they sort out that set piece.

Australia look a bit more cohesive these days but they haven't really played anyone decent yet.

I'd say they should consider it a successful tournament if they finish above 3rd. I can see South Africa and NZ still battering them on the road and grinding them into submission.
Moore and Slipper make a big difference to set piece as does Horwill, Pocock to come back too
Although Genia finding form again would be a huge help
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Moore won't play until 2015 and Horwill has been axed from the starting side.

Even if they were present, I really don't think SA and NZ would be worried when Australia visit them.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:Moore won't play until 2015 and Horwill has been axed from the starting side.

Even if they were present, I really don't think SA and NZ would be worried when Australia visit them.
good thing world cup isnt til 2015 :P
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Thought the tahs win would've drawn Johng out of his annual sabbatical.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Peg Leg wrote:Thought the tahs win would've drawn Johng out of his annual sabbatical.
Shush! The Johng is sleeping. Let him (and us) enjoy his rest! :-)
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I think a part of Foley's ascent is down to them not being so obsessed with getting one of the maverick tens (Cooper, Beale, JOC) on the field. He's a proper ten and both the Tahs and Australia have much more control and a better structure with him in there.

give it a year, dont forget BOD was his rolemodel so he'd love to fill his boots
He's already 30 isn't he? Do we really want another thirty something centre?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am