Hurley for the 12 shirt.

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Hurley for the 12 shirt.

Post by simonokeeffe »

ceemec wrote:Ah Munster produce players and have really stepped up their efforts in recent years reaping rewards.

The inside centre thing is just bizarre though. 15 years since a Munster man started at 12 in the HEC.
Definitely, in back three especially last few years, plus fine line of front row forwards who look like they steal gates for a living :)
Out of curiosity who was it?
going backwards Downey, Mafi, Devillers, Mafi, Halstead, Henderson, Holland then who was last Munster rared lad?
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Cian Mahoney, about 120 HEC games ago.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

ceemec wrote:Ah Munster produce players and have really stepped up their efforts in recent years reaping rewards.

The inside centre thing is just bizarre though. 15 years since a Munster man started at 12 in the HEC.
Incredible stat

A pretty similar scenario in Leinster where hookers and scrumhalves haven't exactly been local boys. Considering the success of both clubs and their academies it is unreal that such deficiencies exist

Who and when were the last Leinster man started at 2 or 9 in the HEC

Jackman is the only hooker I can recall although I'm sure the Blayneys had a few starts between them. Scrumhalf I can't recall a Leinsterman. Reddan, Boss,Whitaker Easterby and O'Meara have owned the 9 shirt between them for years. Kieran Lewis May have started a few games. I can't think of another Leinster man this century.

ANYONE
Last edited by All Blacks nil on January 9th, 2014, 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Don't think hooker was too bad. We had Brian Blaney before/at the same time as Jackman and then Shane Byrne before that.

We were unlucky that Cillian Willis got injured when he did and if Ciaran Scally hadn't got injured then he could well still be our 9 now, although I have to confess I'm going on what everyone else says about him, never saw him play myself. Thought Dave Moore and POD would be brilliant players for us once they came through, funny how things work out.

As much as I've faith in Luke McGrath, I do think Shanahan was a loss.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

Captain Average wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:GM, obviously I disagree about passing and kicking, just don't think they're good enough for 12 so no point arguing.
Remember his kick for Howlett's try against Gloucester in 08? It was top notch. He's a decent kicker imo
I scored a brace against Terenure in 2002. It was top notch.

That it was a long time ago seems irrelevant.
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

All Blacks nil wrote:

Incredible stat

A pretty similar scenario in Leinster where hookers and scrumhalves haven't exactly been local boys. Considering the success of both clubs and their academies it is unreal that such deficiencies exist

Who and when were the last Leinster man started at 2 or 9 in the HEC

Jackman is the only hooker I can recall although I'm sure the Blayneys had a few starts between them. Scrumhalf I can't recall a Leinsterman. Reddan, Boss,Whitaker Easterby and O'Meara have owned the 9 shirt between them for years. Kieran Lewis May have started a few games. I can't think of another Leinster man this century.

ANYONE
Except for the Blaney brothers and Shane Byrne. Isn't Jackman from Carlow?

Brian O'Riordan started a few games at 9
Last edited by suisse on January 10th, 2014, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Don't think hooker was too bad. We had Brian Blaney before/at the same time as Jackman and then Shane Byrne before that.

We were unlucky that Cillian Willis got injured when he did and if Ciaran Scally hadn't got injured then he could well still be our 9 now, although I have to confess I'm going on what everyone else says about him, never saw him play myself. Thought Dave Moore and POD would be brilliant players for us once they came through, funny how things work out.

Apologies with regard to hookers. I completely forgot Byrne. Between himself and Jackman they probably had 6 or 7 years starts between them.
Still struggling for a Scrumhalf this century outside of Kieran Lewis
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

All Blacks nil wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Don't think hooker was too bad. We had Brian Blaney before/at the same time as Jackman and then Shane Byrne before that.

Apologies with regard to hookers. I completely forgot Byrne. Between himself and Jackman they probably had 6 or 7 years starts between them.
Kieran Lewis is a centre. Brian O'Riordan started games at 9 about a decade ago
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

As pointed out above Willis was the one in the last decade that got away. Really thought he was going to do the business and then he got injured and bounced around the game. Classy player though.

And yes, he did start ERC matches.

Still makes it no less shocking we can't produce scrummies.
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

fourthirtythree wrote:As pointed out above Willis was the one in the last decade that got away. Really thought he was going to do the business and then he got injured and bounced around the game. Classy player though.

And yes, he did start ERC matches.

Still makes it no less shocking we can't produce scrummies.
According to the Leinster website Willis started 3 HEC over 2 seasons 2006/07 and 2007/08 and O'Riordan started 2 games in 2005/06
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

suisse wrote:
All Blacks nil wrote:

Kieran Lewis is a centre. Brian O'Riordan started games at 9 about a decade ago
Kieran Lewis was also a wing
And a former Munster player in later career :)

Alain Rolland probably the last Leinster grown regular 1st choice 9
All Blacks nil
Mullet

Post by All Blacks nil »

Jaesus

Rolland is 47
goreyguy
Shane Jennings

Post by goreyguy »

Harris Wright played some HEC before he left, think it may have been off the bench.

still Birch isn't that long ago..

It's weird Munster have a factory of Hookers and a decent production line at SH, while Leinster have really struggled at producing players at those positions..
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Willis, Keane and BOR all in Cheika's time.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I know you are talking about starters but it is worth pointing out that John Cooney has played in a HEC Final.
Four Stars
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

So lads did any of ye make it to the game.
How many tries did Hurley create or line breaks did he make.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

He scored a try! :lol:

Damn! I haven't seen any highlights or heard anything about the rest of his performance though.

Thought Munster used Downey more effectively on Saturday though, they're a different side when they do that.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He scored a try! :lol:

Damn! I haven't seen any highlights or heard anything about the rest of his performance though.

Thought Munster used Downey more effectively on Saturday though, they're a different side when they do that.
I believe it was Albert Camus who said when you have a one trick pony you may as well get it to do its trick
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Congrats to Denis Hurley on scoring the first of what, hopefully, will be many tries in his new role as a 12.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:He scored a try! :lol:

I believe it was Albert Camus who said when you have a one trick pony you may as well get it to do its trick

No doubt you'll be as philosophical when the Clermont pack arrive into the Capital Comedy Club (on a team bonding session no less!) and chase you around the stage Benny Hill style.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation