Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
ronk wrote: I'd fully sympathize with them seeing oit their contracts in full (post COVID) and then taking a hit on renewal. The owners signed irresponsible contracts and there are clear and strick rules that punish clubs.
Absolutely. It is going to be tough for some squads to maintain morale and cohesion. Kyle Sinckler signed a deal with Bristol worth somewhere near £500k p.a. [source: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/rug ... sh-3626356 ] before the lockdown, and that is what he should be paid, because that's what he's contracted to be paid. But it's very plausible that he could be playing in the front row with team-mates earning 20% or 15% or 10% of what he's on who are playing far more games for the club.

According to this Telegraph article [source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... squeezing/ ], 32% of Premiership players earn between £30k & £70k and a further 23% earn between £70k & £140k. You would imagine that the lads in the 23% bracket are the ones who will feel the crunch most.

Lads who went into the 2019-20 season looking to negotiate their next deal will have either been very lucky, or very unlucky. If they got the deals done in December/January/February, they have probably signed at the highest point of the rugby market for a decade. If they didn't get their deal signed before the lockdown, they'll have missed that highpoint by a matter of months and their offer will be very much lower. Lads who are up for renegotiation next season will be in the same boat.

This article explains the new cap quite well: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... y-cap-mean and this one fills in some other areas: https://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... y-cap-mean .
Last 2 links are the same. We have seen the same timing issues here. Ferg is retired, Kearney may go too. Guys like McKeon and Adeolokun suddenly cut in Connacht. But Fardy renewal was already done and Munster can still make their big signings. It’s just timing.

So it is. PRL are retiring from the field of battle without their champion, Saracens, and leaving the initiative to France.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote:
Morf wrote:
JB1973 wrote:Rugby salaries are going to tumble in the next few years and tbh that's not such a bad thing, it was getting out of hand especially in France. Hopley and co better get their heads around the fact and learn to live with it
I think the wage disparity has greatly increased. I think it's reasonable to suggest the majority of players had far more modest increases in pay and might feel a slash of wages by 20-30% across the board quite acutely.
Wage disparity definitely increased. There's no cap on the wages of 'franchise players' [two per club] in the Premiership, so somebody like Piutau can earn £900k/£1m p/a [rumoured] without affecting the cap.
I'm sure there's dozens of appropriate disingenuous austerity lines to use here "We all partied .." etc.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -escalates

PRL and RPA at each others throats. This thing got nasty quickly.

I thought that George Kruis was shooting himself in the foot by deciding to leave England and go to the Japanese Top League. Now I think he had a crystal ball.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

hugonaut wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -escalates

PRL and RPA at each others throats. This thing got nasty quickly.

I thought that George Kruis was shooting himself in the foot by deciding to leave England and go to the Japanese Top League. Now I think he had a crystal ball.

Its not even the PRL, its most or all (there is some disagreement on that) of the PRL member clubs acting independently of the PRL. Its turning into Game of Thrones over there
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Professional rugby is in a very tricky spot right now. CVC might swoop in and get that 51% they were looking for originally.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote:Professional rugby is in a very tricky spot right now. CVC might swoop in and get that 51% they were looking for originally.
Don't think there's any chance of that as each of the Unions is ultimately controlled by the votes of Amateur Clubs. certainly in Ireland and England, the Clubs would summon an EGM and would win any vote on a "Takeover'.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Leicester statement confirming the contract terminations
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/cl ... ent-200710

Notable that they never even thank the leaving players for their service. Not a shred of class.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

ronk wrote: July 11th, 2020, 1:45 am Leicester statement confirming the contract terminations
https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/cl ... ent-200710

Notable that they never even thank the leaving players for their service. Not a shred of class.
I think Andrea Pinchen, the chief exec, did in a semi-sincere way in her own statement on it but I'm not trawling through a 50 minute video to check wording.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

A plan to ring-fence the Premiership and create a draft system of young players is being considered by the RFU
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/53608795

I could see three of the four provinces in Ireland really going for this draft system lark.
Up Wexford
Bookworm

Post by Up Wexford »

The Brits are at it again, premiership rugby back this weekend. London Irish V Bath and Sarries v Bristol on Sat look like the standout fixtures from a Leinster perspective. I watched Seanies comeback game around Christmas I think and honestly London Irish were kind of muck, but I would like to see the Declan Kidney experiment go well. And our first look at the newly chastened Saracens
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

I see BillyV didn't take the knee, but Mako did.

Where's that Munster fan with the boating shoes when you need him?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Apparently some Sale players who didn't take the knee during a recent game have recieved death threats.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

blockhead wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:24 pm Apparently some Sale players who didn't take the knee during a recent game have recieved death threats.

Good on them for not doing it. :happy clapper:
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

What were they taking the knee for?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

For my sins I watched London Irish at home to Quins - in the Stoop (BCS opens at the weekend). God they are dreadful. Now, they were without most of their first XV and had a load of academy players (incl. Ireland u19 sh, Caolan Englefield), but my god - Kidney and Kiss are to rugby coaching what Leopold and Loeb were to childcare

I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Geordan Murphys Leicester suffered a 54-7 defeat away to Wasps. Don't think he is long for this coaching business. Us with long memories wont give a fcuk!

BTW Leicester No14? Harry Potter, I kid you not. What a burden.

In another game Stuart Hogg limped off with a leg injury in the 2nd half, now he would be a loss for them.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

blockhead wrote: September 10th, 2020, 12:19 am Geordan Murphys Leicester suffered a 54-7 defeat away to Wasps. Don't think he is long for this coaching business. Us with long memories wont give a fcuk!

In another game Stuart Hogg limped off with a leg injury in the 2nd half, now he would be a loss for them.
Did Hogg leave chiefs?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

paddyor wrote: September 10th, 2020, 2:41 am
blockhead wrote: September 10th, 2020, 12:19 am Geordan Murphys Leicester suffered a 54-7 defeat away to Wasps. Don't think he is long for this coaching business. Us with long memories wont give a fcuk!

In another game
Stuart Hogg limped off with a leg injury in the 2nd half, now he would be a loss for them.
Did Hogg leave chiefs?
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

The even posted a poor attempt of a funny video to Twitter when announcing the signing of Harry Potter. They used a clip from the film where the sorting hat is deciding what house to put Harry in, and played "Leicester Tigers" over Gryffindor.