Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

tigerburnie
Enlightened

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by tigerburnie »

paddyor wrote: October 4th, 2022, 9:52 pm https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/157 ... XlbkM8IyRA

Relegation on the cards for Worcester. Probably made to sell the P shares
The "P" shares will be taken up by PRL if Wuss go bust, if they are just relegated and continue in the Championship, then they keep the shares for one year.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Duhan van Der Merve wouldn't be a bad signing if we need an "injury" joker on the wing
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

paddyor wrote: October 5th, 2022, 1:26 pm Duhan van Der Merve wouldn't be a bad signing if we need an "injury" joker on the wing
I just came here to say something similar. Even if we could pick him up for the rest of the year that would be a good signing. We are very thin on the
ground at wing with injuries and Ireland.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

But he won't be of any help when our Irish players are away because he'll be away too with Scotland
I have Bumbleflex
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Edinburgh have snapped him up already so no chance, but would he have been a good fit? Players who transfer nationality and then leave the country as soon as they've qualified don't sit well with me.
Anyone But New Zealand
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 5th, 2022, 4:34 pm But he won't be of any help when our Irish players are away because he'll be away too with Scotland
Not the same as before with shortened schedule and no test games
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Good Journalism from the Graun here. Scoundrels

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... are_btn_tw
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote: October 5th, 2022, 11:55 pm Good Journalism from the Graun here. Scoundrels

Anybody who can follow, or interpret, the content of this article should immediately apply to Goldman Sachs / SEC / World Bank for a job as Head of Section in Financial Forensic examinations. There are so many cul de sacs, non-sequiters, unexplained transactions, as to make this a bigger mystery than it already seemed. Never mind Asset-Stripping, this chronicle reads like straight forward fraud, with complicit accountants/ auditors.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:58 pm
paddyor wrote: October 5th, 2022, 11:55 pm Good Journalism from the Graun here. Scoundrels

Anybody who can follow, or interpret, the content of this article should immediately apply to Goldman Sachs / SEC / World Bank for a job as Head of Section in Financial Forensic examinations. There are so many cul de sacs, non-sequiters, unexplained transactions, as to make this a bigger mystery than it already seemed. Never mind Asset-Stripping, this chronicle reads like straight forward fraud, with complicit accountants/ auditors.
Thanks for that, RTB. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one had difficulty making head or tail of it all. One particular bit, however, stood out for me. One of the two cowboy owners, Goldring,

"...had been barred by the Solicitors Regulation Authority from working for any law firm without clearance. Between approximately June 2016 and April 2017, during a stint as a 'trainee solicitor' at a now-defunct Manchester law firm, he “caused or allowed” the disappearance of €8.3m of a Saudi client’s money..."

Sounds like living dangerously ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I'm not exactly an expert on the premiership but to me it looks like the league is in serious trouble. Too many clubs with too much debt and the danger is a snowball effect could happen.

-There's usually 6 matches per week. That could be cut to 5 meaning less tv money.

-There might be a bigger gap opening between the top and bottom sides. We've see how the likes of Zebre and Dragons can drag a leagues competitiveness down and stuck the life out of people's interest. With 6 games, if 2 other teams fall into zebre territory then it leaves a max of 4 competitive matches per round.

-That could be the death spiral that will take a long time to get out of. I think they will look for a B&I league once they see the writing on the wall.

It's a shame to see historic clubs in so much trouble.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 6th, 2022, 2:58 pm

Yeah look don't get me wrong, it's as clear as mud but they've presented the facts as best they could without crossing any red lines. E.g. they apparently had to sit on this for a long time.
As the club’s accounts were frozen, the owners raised the majority of the August payroll through a £600,000 three-month loan at 20% interest from a petrol-station company, charged over the stadium car park. On 1 September, in an email seen by the Guardian, the creditor who wrote to Sport England offered to replace that with a £780,000 loan, which would have covered the entirety of the payroll. If a suitable buyer could be found, who would keep rugby at Sixways, he pledged to release the charge to them for nil gain – an interest-free loan in other words, on the condition that rugby remained at Sixways. Whittingham and Goldring chose to stick with the original.
I reckon with a bit more editorial leeway(and who knows there could be criminal proceedings which could be prejudiced by a full expose) they could give you a much clearer picture of the whys and hows. The part about one of them losing Saudi client money suggests they know a good bit more about them than they let on. It's still worth doing even if they can't do it clearly, you can still see it's dodgy as f%~k?
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

dropkick wrote: October 6th, 2022, 8:01 pm I'm not exactly an expert on the premiership but to me it looks like the league is in serious trouble. Too many clubs with too much debt and the danger is a snowball effect could happen.

-There's usually 6 matches per week. That could be cut to 5 meaning less tv money.

-There might be a bigger gap opening between the top and bottom sides. We've see how the likes of Zebre and Dragons can drag a leagues competitiveness down and stuck the life out of people's interest. With 6 games, if 2 other teams fall into zebre territory then it leaves a max of 4 competitive matches per round.

-That could be the death spiral that will take a long time to get out of. I think they will look for a B&I league once they see the writing on the wall.

Wales fly-half Dan Biggar is to leave Northampton at the end of the season.

The 32-year-old joined Saints from the Ospreys in 2018 and has helped them achieve two top-four finishes in the Gallagher Premiership.

Director of rugby Phil Dowson revealed financial constraints played a major part in the decision, saying: “It has been well documented that, for this season and next, the salary cap for Premiership clubs is lower than it was previously.

“There is also a reduction in marquee players from two to one, which presents an additional challenge in building a balanced and competitive squad. We have to start putting a longer-term plan for the team in place, so these are all factors we have considered in making this decision.”
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Did we maybe put the curse on them with #jokeofaleague? Because that sure as hell sounds like where they're headed.....
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dropkick wrote: October 6th, 2022, 8:01 pm I'm not exactly an expert on the premiership but to me it looks like the league is in serious trouble. Too many clubs with too much debt and the danger is a snowball effect could happen.

It's the difference between 3 of 6 matches being televised and 3 of 5 matches being televised.

Forcing down salaries is very painful, but probably better in the long run. The RFU won't step in for 1 club because of moral hazard but they'd have to if it was bigger.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

https://twitter.com/AlexMLowe/status/15 ... 8Rm64OJLRg

Wasps cancel wekends game as heading into administration. Apparently Mike Ashley was in the running to take it over but pulled out.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Project Undercover Chap has reached its climax.

Come home Agent Richardson, excellent work.
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That league has been run terribly over the last 10 years or so but it’s awful to see this stuff happen.

John Ryan back to Munster already? I hope he picks something up quickly anyway.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Very worrying if Wasps go the way of Worcester, huge name in European rugby.
Would Matteo Minozzi be available for a few months?
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Sad times.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English