Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by paddyor »

tigerburnie wrote: May 5th, 2023, 4:10 pm For a club to be financed by another union, the home union has to agree. Scotland looked at funding London Scottish a while back and were re-buffed.
Plus the RFUs payments to PRL are contingent on EQ plyers per matchday squad IIRC. You'd have to fill that revenue loss yourself. Would probably be cheaper to sign some sort of general agreement with PRL.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Gloucester finished 10th of 11. They won 7 games in total. The pay off for sending the espoirs to be massacred in the RDS was a further 2 wins in the remaining 12 games in the GP. Can't have done their confidence any good to get pummelled in the return with a near 1st choice 15. Maybe the moral of the story is if you're gonna go French I think you have to "commit to the bit".
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

BBC News - London Irish: Premiership club given 30 May sale deadline or risk suspension
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65603484
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

IanD wrote: May 16th, 2023, 2:23 pm BBC News - London Irish: Premiership club given 30 May sale deadline or risk suspension
Sort of seems wrong from the outside where Wasps can feck about for months with no sign of any money.............or coaches..............or players...........or a ground to play in.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

tigerburnie wrote: May 18th, 2023, 12:11 pm
IanD wrote: May 16th, 2023, 2:23 pm BBC News - London Irish: Premiership club given 30 May sale deadline or risk suspension
Sort of seems wrong from the outside where Wasps can feck about for months with no sign of any money.............or coaches..............or players...........or a ground to play in.
It does but the flip side is that if London Irish run out of money five weeks into the season and drop out, the league would be ridiculed for letting the same thing happen two years in a row.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

RTE news : Wasps have Championship licence revoked by RFU

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/0518 ... ed-by-rfu/

Any chance of the Winning Lottery numbers 😜😜🤣🤣
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

Schumi wrote: May 18th, 2023, 1:29 pm
It does but the flip side is that if London Irish run out of money five weeks into the season and drop out, the league would be ridiculed for letting the same thing happen two years in a row.
:roll:

Alternatively the league would be ridiculed for [ insert ridiculous action of English Premiership Operators here ].
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/ ... ugby-union

From the above link.

"There could also be significant repercussions for the new owners of Worcester, who had been hoping Wasps could relocate to their Sixways stadium in Worcester this season and, in the process, earn them £600,000 in annual rent. Holland had loaned Worcester’s owners, Atlas WWRFC, the sum of £1.15m as part of an agreement to secure a three-year lease to play at Sixways. With Wasps no longer in a position to play professional rugby, this loan will now have to be repaid."

Hard to see both clubs restarting as professional teams any time soon.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

The loan from Holland was only for 21 days, the deadline is almost up, so the man who owns the Wasps name that he bought £150k or thereabouts, will soon be the owner of the Worcester stadium, which at the moment only has the Worcester ladies team playing there.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

I tend to take an accelerationist view on this. The worse things get the more quickly English rugby will settle on a model that actually works. There’s obviously a sufficient market to sustain a pro game there. Maybe not to the same degree as France, because League is so much stronger in England, but still! Surely it’s dawning on them now that they can’t just ape the premiership soccer model, unless a few theocracies want to buy Falcons & Sale to launder their images.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Twist wrote: May 19th, 2023, 11:16 pm I tend to take an accelerationist view on this. The worse things get the more quickly English rugby will settle on a model that actually works. There’s obviously a sufficient market to sustain a pro game there. Maybe not to the same degree as France, because League is so much stronger in England, but still! Surely it’s dawning on them now that they can’t just ape the premiership soccer model, unless a few theocracies want to buy Falcons & Sale to launder their images.
Acceleration can happen in the other direction too, and just because there's an addressable market doesn't guarantee that a bad outcome won't happen.

The latest rumours for Heineken Cup are eliminating one of the last successful vestiges of the good times: the double header in the group stage. And also moving a final to USA, which would kill another. They're actually talking about a weird new structure with zero derbies against the nearby team in your group. Imagine a URC where Leinster are directly competing with Munster but never play them. More travel for smaller audiences, how will that finish?

London Irish, Worcester and Wasps all escalated crises.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

I hear one of Lancaster's first signings is marcus smith. interesting, given they just offloaded finn russell to bath. Smith is on a rumoured £450,000 with Harlequins right now. must be a massive contract.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LI are all but gone according to the times. Players and staff making plans for next season already
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

paddyor wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 4:51 pm LI are all but gone according to the times. Players and staff making plans for next season already
Very sad if true. Following their struggles to get back into and stay in the top flight, it would be a real shame to see them gone.

English rugby is looking in a very sorry state, which is not good for the sport.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

Does that make the premiership 9 teams next year (of which 8 will be in the Champions Cup)

Not helped by the CVC arrangement meaning they lose a % of revenue for the lump sum payment which they have already spent. I wonder have they bottomed out now... Will the remaining teams hang in there.

I hope the CVC arrangement doesn't rebound on us and the IRFU

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

The Doc wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 7:46 pm Does that make the premiership 9 teams next year (of which 8 will be in the Champions Cup)

Not helped by the CVC arrangement meaning they lose a % of revenue for the lump sum payment which they have already spent. I wonder have they bottomed out now... Will the remaining teams hang in there.

Well, looking at the budget and squad of Newcastle, they’ll be making up the numbers next season so a de facto 9 team league. Apparently Ealing and Coventry have applied for the challenge cup spots.

As to the rest of it, who knows. They lose 3 home games for the season. Can probably cover most of the cost with season tickets staying at the same level. Maybe having 3 less mouths to feed from the tv deal will help make up some of the shortfall caused by the cvc deal
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

The Doc wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 7:46 pm Does that make the premiership 9 teams next year (of which 8 will be in the Champions Cup)

Currently 11 in Premiership next season, 10 if the chat re LI is true. Yes English press reports have Ealing, Coventry and Jersey wanting to play in the Challenge Cup next season. England are supposed to provide 5 sides.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

neill_m wrote: May 23rd, 2023, 9:14 pm

Currently 11 in Premiership next season, 10 if the chat re LI is true. Yes English press reports have Ealing, Coventry and Jersey wanting to play in the Challenge Cup next season. England are supposed to provide 5 sides.
Lazy journo it seems, Jersey have said they never applied.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Does seem London Irish are doomed.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Saracens legacy continues. I wonder does anyone feel their HEC wins were worth it now....
Dont Panic!