Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by fourthirtythree »

You get the impression that there's going to be a fair amount of movement this year.

And I guess a lot of agents want to get in early before the money runs out ...
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

A lovely story about Jimmy Gopperth, his kicking tee and its inventor:

Jimmy Gopperth 'blown away' by offer to extend rugby innovator's legacy

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... h-22503456
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Rumours of another salary cap breach, not as bad as Saracens mind. Top 6 club in the GP and it’s not Saracens. My money would have been on sale but the top 6 part rules them out.
Rugby paper
English rugby is bracing itself for another salary cap scandal after Premier Rugby launched an investigation into a potential breaking of the rules.

Blindside understands that coaching staff and players have been interviewed by the salary cap manager about a potential breach.

The chief executive of the club, who are currently in the top six of the Premiership, has also been implicated and has faced a grilling.

The club under suspicion isn’t Saracens, who are currently second in the Premiership table after spending last season in the Championship after being found guilty of breaching the cap in 2019.

After being deducted 35 points and fined £5.3m in November 2019, they opted for a further points penalty rather than open up their books for a full forensic audit.

We believe this potential breach isn’t on the same scale, and the investigation will continue early in the New Year.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Current top 6?

Exeter have been offloading players recently...
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Rumour mill this side of the Irish Sea says it allegedly may be Quins due to unbudgeted for bonus payments for winning the prem last season
Anyone But New Zealand
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I wonder who leaked this information that made sure to exonerate Saracens?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Quins v Northampton is a cracking game. Both sides really going for it in attack.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

wixfjord wrote: December 27th, 2021, 6:11 pm Quins v Northampton is a cracking game. Both sides really going for it in attack.
Great entertainment but relatively low quality. Coaches must hate the way teams have such little respect for the ball.
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

FLIP wrote: December 27th, 2021, 12:15 pm Rumour mill this side of the Irish Sea says it allegedly may be Quins due to unbudgeted for bonus payments for winning the prem last season
Turns out that it was Tigers: https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/statement-211228
Anyone But New Zealand
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

EXCLUSIVE: Leicester Tigers are at the centre of a Premiership Rugby salary cap inquiry into a defunct image rights company and allegations of historic third party player payments.

@AlexMLowe

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/leic ... -s560xpbh5
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

This is a blow for the new poster boys of the Premiership.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

neill_m wrote: December 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm EXCLUSIVE: Leicester Tigers are at the centre of a Premiership Rugby salary cap inquiry into a defunct image rights company and allegations of historic third party player payments.

@AlexMLowe

This may also explain the recent exodus announced by them for end of season. Three / four guys we can no longer afford.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Leicester Cheetah's ?

I'll get my coat.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote: December 28th, 2021, 4:11 pm
neill_m wrote: December 28th, 2021, 12:08 pm EXCLUSIVE: Leicester Tigers are at the centre of a Premiership Rugby salary cap inquiry into a defunct image rights company and allegations of historic third party player payments.

@AlexMLowe

This may also explain the recent exodus announced by them for end of season. Three / four guys we can no longer afford.
It seems it’s image rights. Involving the same co that sarries used to value itojes.

I think the offloading of Ford and genge(he gets is apparently taking a pay cut to go to Bristol)is linked to the salary cap reduction. Pollard can come in as a marquee as he’s new to the gp.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Premiership mid tier players concerned about their future.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.sports. ... 00323.html

I'd say covid was a good opportunity for the premiership clubs to make much needed cuts. They're falling further behind the top 14.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

dropkick wrote: January 2nd, 2022, 9:31 am Premiership mid tier players concerned about their future.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/uk.sports. ... 00323.html

I'd say covid was a good opportunity for the premiership clubs to make much needed cuts. They're falling further behind the top 14.
It's difficult for those guys – there's a lot of problems in the world right now, and worrying about your job security is a tough scene.

On the other hand, and just as fair an argument, is that they have been overpaid for years. It's not a moral judgment, it is just expenditure vs income. Very few [if any] of the clubs make enough money through TV deals, sponsorship, gate receipts and merchandising to pay their wage bill ... they lose money year after year.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

American Football has a salary cap, but it also has a whole structure of minimum salaries and bonuses and rules like the rookie contract and franchise player status. It's linked to be a percentage of league income which makes it far more sustainable.

The English salary cap is complicated enough with international match fees, exempt players and academy allowances.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Just watching Bristol v Sale (good game). Is Bryan Byrne injured or is he just out of favour? Not in the Bristol 23 and I don't recognise the two hookers.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

wixfjord wrote: January 7th, 2022, 8:21 pm Just watching Bristol v Sale (good game). Is Bryan Byrne injured or is he just out of favour? Not in the Bristol 23 and I don't recognise the two hookers.
Haven't seen his name on a Bristol teamsheet for quite some time.

A battle of two fly-halves who could have played for Ireland.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!