Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

tigerburnie wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:04 pm What made it better Contepomi was sat in the ground watching him
Dr Phil to join your coaching ticket? Post world cup?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Exeter winger Jack Nowell will face a disciplinary hearing for criticising a referee’s decision on Twitter.

The criticism is in relation to Olly Woodburn’s red card last weekend.

Via Tight Five Rugby on Twitter
Nowell’s tweet ⬇️ “I’m actually in shock, like shock shocked. What the hell is happening? That’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen. EVER”
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

neill_m wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:41 pm Exeter winger Jack Nowell will face a disciplinary hearing for criticising a referee’s decision on Twitter.

Surprised in that case that more of the Exeter squad aren't being pulled up. A good few of them where doing the same.
Anyone But New Zealand
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

To be fair I really didn't see anything in it. Trying to push him out, never going to, but no violence in it. His impact was sideways.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

neill_m wrote: April 18th, 2023, 12:41 pm Exeter winger Jack Nowell will face a disciplinary hearing for criticising a referee’s decision on Twitter.

Nowell’s tweet ⬇️ “I’m actually in shock, like shock shocked. What the hell is happening? That’s one of the worst decisions I’ve ever seen. EVER”
The soccerisation of rugby continues. And then they wonder, why #jokeofaleague is going down the tubes.... 1+1=2, simples, innit?!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

riocard911 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 1:40 pm

The soccerisation of rugby continues. And then they wonder, why #jokeofaleague is going down the tubes.... 1+1=2, simples, innit?!
Soccerisation? You'd never see Bukayo Sako or Jadon Sancho criticise a ref on social media like that. Perhaps rugby players should be a bit more like their more professional soccer playing peers
I have Bumbleflex
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:56 pm
tigerburnie wrote: April 17th, 2023, 9:04 pm What made it better Contepomi was sat in the ground watching him
Dr Phil to join your coaching ticket? Post world cup?
That was the rumour that was started after Geordan Murphy refused to deny it when he was commentating lol, seems he was visiting Argentina players all over the uk this past week pre World Cup and was just meeting up with his captain.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Remember when we used to respect the ref and call him sir(there were no lady refs when I played back in the dark ages)
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dave Cahill wrote: April 18th, 2023, 2:15 pm
riocard911 wrote: April 18th, 2023, 1:40 pm

Soccerisation? You'd never see Bukayo Sako or Jadon Sancho criticise a ref on social media like that. Perhaps rugby players should be a bit more like their more professional soccer playing peers
I bow to your superior knowledge of these matters, DC. The only soccer I watch anymore is the world cup final every four years.

p.s. That said though, I did see Pele play in Dalymount and Maradona in Lansdowne Road fadó, fadó! :)
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-un ... n-29756307

Marcus Smith hinting that he wants to go to France.
Some interesting details thrown in... but it is the Mirror.
As of now French clubs have greater spending power due to a salary cap well in excess of Premiership Rugby’s £5 million, though sources indicate the top players are actually on comparative, if not better money in England.
By the time Smith’s contract is up, the cap will be back to £6.4m and with allowances and credits factored in, Premiership clubs will be able to spend around £8.3m - close to the £9.2m in France.
LOADSAMONEY Leinster didn't even get a mention.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

blockhead wrote: April 20th, 2023, 8:17 am https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-un ... n-29756307

As of now French clubs have greater spending power due to a salary cap well in excess of Premiership Rugby’s £5 million, though sources indicate the top players are actually on comparative, if not better money in England.
By the time Smith’s contract is up, the cap will be back to £6.4m and with allowances and credits factored in, Premiership clubs will be able to spend around £8.3m - close to the £9.2m in France.
I did read Itoje gets £900,000 a season, I assume he is the marquee player at Saracens. French dropping their cap to €10 MN by 2024 according to reports, when do England go back up to £6.4MN from the current £5 MN level?
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I am a fairly recent viewer/listener of podcasts. One of the ones I like quite a lot is the Good, Bad, the Rugby. On one recently they were reviewing 10 things positive about rugby at the moment. One of the things they were most positive about was the competitiveness of the English premiership. Sorry, have I missed something? They don't have relegation, their teams are going out of business, I don't think Exeter have a prayer against La Rochelle and Leicester the current champions are a rabble. So while it may well be very competitive I'm not sure a sh!t eating competition is one I would want to win.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

blockhead wrote: April 20th, 2023, 8:17 am https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/rugby-un ... n-29756307

Marcus-Smith-speak:

"“There are avenues the Premiership can go down. A bit of variation in the game of rugby, which is so traditional, might entice a different audience to come and watch our games. That hopefully leads to better grassroots participation, an increase in the salary cap, better teams and hopefully European titles come back to England.”

Anyone any idea what Young Marcus means by "a bit of variation"? Rugby "so traditional"? Yeah, so? What's wrong with that? Leinster play "traditional rugby" and can still sell out stadiums and entertain the masses. Toulouse, LAR, the Crusaders, the Stormers too.

Dunno bout anyone else, but Marcus Smith gives me a pain. Hopefully he'll feck off to Japan.

#jokeofaleague
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

riocard911 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 10:21 am

Marcus-Smith-speak:

"“There are avenues the Premiership can go down. A bit of variation in the game of rugby, which is so traditional, might entice a different audience to come and watch our games. That hopefully leads to better grassroots participation, an increase in the salary cap, better teams and hopefully European titles come back to England.”

Anyone any idea what Young Marcus means by "a bit of variation"? Rugby "so traditional"? Yeah, so? What's wrong with that? Leinster play "traditional rugby" and can still sell out stadiums and entertain the masses. Toulouse, LAR, the Crusaders, the Stormers too.

Dunno bout anyone else, but Marcus Smith gives me a pain. Hopefully he'll feck off to Japan.

#jokeofaleague
Maybe he wants a bit more Leinstertainment in England?
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

https://twitter.com/RavenhillRoar/statu ... 82915?s=20

£10,000 fine for Nowell for his tweet.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Schumi wrote: April 20th, 2023, 10:39 am

Marcus-Smith-speak:

#jokeofaleague
Maybe he wants a bit more Leinstertainment in England?
And he's afraid to spell it out? You could be on to something!!! :happy clapper:
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

24 year old millionaire rugby player thinks the only solution to a problem is to pay players millions more to do the same job.

But then he said in his book that he wants to win the Heineken Cup, so put your hands in your pockets people of England to buy it for him.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Marcus-Smith-speak:

#jokeofaleague
To be fair he might be talking about the presentation of the game. You look at the way NFL and baseball which are much less of a free flowing and fast paced game than rugby, is presented and we have a lot to learn. Sure yuo could redesign the game but the game itself has been constantly changing to make it better, you look at games back in the 70's and 80's and the game is unrecognisable in terms of pace and entertainment. If he's talking more radical like the way T20 transformed cricket's popularity, no thanks.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Marcus-Smith-speak:

#jokeofaleague
I think he's a pain too.... but mainly because of the way he flicks his hair like he's in a L'Oreal ad.... and I can't do the same due to lack of said hair
Dont Panic!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Dexter wrote: April 20th, 2023, 12:34 pm
Marcus-Smith-speak:

#jokeofaleague
I think he's a pain too.... but mainly because of the way he flicks his hair like he's in a L'Oreal ad.... and I can't do the same due to lack of said hair
My sentiment entirely. Because he's "worth it"?... :lol: