Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

naraic
Mullet

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by naraic »

riocard911 wrote: October 27th, 2022, 6:07 pm
naraic wrote: October 27th, 2022, 4:21 pm I don't think the injury was that bad. He was due back before Christmas. It's just a factor and certain people in management have to be asking what they will get from Biggar and if the cash could be used better elsewhere.

If he is injured now and will only be back 6 weeks before the six Nations. Then he will be gone for most of two months.

Toulon are looking hard for a outhalf. They almost signed Jantjies recently too.

The Northampton fans seem to think it doesn't get them more cap space as marquee status had to be assigned during the summer.
Dunno how their respective age/injury profiles stack up, but I'd take Biggar any day before Jantjies.
So would I. I just meant to draw attention that Toulon was looking for an outhalf for a while.

Therefore I feel that it may be more about Toulon than Northampton.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

paddyor wrote: October 27th, 2022, 4:02 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:27 pm Dan Biggar is rumoured to be joining Toulon immediately. Now Toulon obviously have a lot of money as evidenced by how they bought Kolbe, but is this another sign that the entire league is in trouble?
It's a bit suss alright. Saints are IIRC one of the least indebted clubs
So were Worcester. I wouldn't see this as firesale, they got a value signing and they may as well build with him. 2 clubs have been relegated already, so there's no pressure if they tighten a little.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

ronk wrote: October 28th, 2022, 1:22 am
paddyor wrote: October 27th, 2022, 4:02 pm
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:27 pm Dan Biggar is rumoured to be joining Toulon immediately. Now Toulon obviously have a lot of money as evidenced by how they bought Kolbe, but is this another sign that the entire league is in trouble?
It's a bit suss alright. Saints are IIRC one of the least indebted clubs
So were Worcester. I wouldn't see this as firesale, they got a value signing and they may as well build with him. 2 clubs have been relegated already, so there's no pressure if they tighten a little.
There wasn’t supposed to be any relegation this year anyway. I’m not saying that Northampton necessarily have the same scale of problems that Wasps and Worcester have, but even if the club looked at the hole that two cancelled home fixtures is going to have and decided that they had to take this offer for Biggar then that’s a worry and they won’t be the only club to face that type of issue.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:41 am but even if the club looked at the hole that two cancelled home fixtures is going to have
In a way, the Premiership got a bit lucky. Whatever the problems losing two matchday incomes will have for clubs who are stressed enough that they are operating week to week income-wise, they got lucky that the club that had back-to-back games canceled was the one club that could deal with it in Leicester Tigers.
I have Bumbleflex
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:47 am
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:41 am but even if the club looked at the hole that two cancelled home fixtures is going to have
In a way, the Premiership got a bit lucky. Whatever the problems losing two matchday incomes will have for clubs who are stressed enough that they are operating week to week income-wise, they got lucky that the club that had back-to-back games canceled was the one club that could deal with it in Leicester Tigers.
Estimated that Liecester lost upwards of £700,000 in revenue which has not been budgeted for.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 27th, 2022, 4:03 pm
naraic wrote: October 27th, 2022, 3:55 pm
If a player is injured and leaving at the end of the season and you have already signed someone you consider their replacement (from Worcester) and will go on international duty for 5 games later in the season and the player wants to leave early I think letting him go might make a fair degree of sense.

I would think it might say more about Toulon than it does about the English league.

It might also be a move to free up cap space and sign one or two more new players from Wasps/Worcester
The injury can't be that bad if Toulon are willing to sign him early though? I would understand if they were replacing like with like but Smith is only 20. I don't see how you could make a plan for the season and then rip it up so soon.

I can get on board with your last point though alright, that would certainly make it seem better but it remains to be seen.
Probably frees up some money under the salary cap for them to spend on other positions.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Wasps’ relegation from the Premiership has been confirmed by the RFU
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

blockhead wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:59 am
Dave Cahill wrote: October 28th, 2022, 9:47 am
Estimated that Liecester lost upwards of £700,000 in revenue which has not been budgeted for.
Tigers play an Italy XV this coming weekend to partially fill the gap of one of the cancelled games, probably won't sell out like a Ba-Baas game, but it seems this was the best available for the date.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

DImes takeover of Wuss has fallen thru apparently.

I'm not sure this changes anything for English game.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

paddyor wrote: October 31st, 2022, 12:18 am DImes takeover of Wuss has fallen thru apparently.

???
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 31st, 2022, 8:59 am
paddyor wrote: October 31st, 2022, 12:18 am DImes takeover of Wuss has fallen thru apparently.

???
Worcester's administrators have selected a preferred bidder to buy the club and ground but it isn't Steve 'Dimes' Diamond's consortium
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 31st, 2022, 9:12 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: October 31st, 2022, 8:59 am

???
Worcester's administrators have selected a preferred bidder to buy the club and ground but it isn't Steve 'Dimes' Diamond's consortium
This but also, I'm not sure there's going to be any major overhaul of the game in the UK. Maybe they appoint a commissioner maybe they just muddle thru.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Hope it works out for them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They'll be better off that most. A lot of clubs will sink before them. I think it's interesting that they're taking action while trying not to spook anyone.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I guess they're going to sell something to do with the Hotel
I have Bumbleflex
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

I hope they aren't selling assets off to pay off the government loans (at 2%) when they have variable rate loans at almost 8%.

I wonder if an offer has been made for these assets or if they want to place them on the market.

From what I can tell the two main non rugby assets is a 75% stake in Sandy Park Hotel development which is a 40 million pound development. They also own a set of fields in Exeter that are unused. There had been ambitions to develop them as a complex of pitches for mini and community rugby in the area or a training centre.

The most expensive debt is a variable rate libor +3.5% product and libor has gone up a lot following the central Bank raises in interest rates this year.

Edited to add: One of the main benefits of the hotel is that by existing it makes the conference centre (attached to the stadium) a lot more viable for longer events. If sold it will still exist and so Exeter will keep one of its main ebenfits.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

For anyone curious here is a summary of Exeter's debts at year ended June 2021. I've given the date of the loans ending, the type of loan and the interest.

2022 Term Loan £2.9 Million at Libor +1.95% (paid off by now)
2030 Term Loan £5 Million at LIBOR +2.3%
2041 Term Loan £6.6 Million at LIBOR +3.5%
2031 Sport England £6.8 Million at 2%

2027 Bond £10.4 Million at 5.5%
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

It's been said that Exeters health performance is a bit of a ficition. They're heavily reliant on the backing of Tony Rowe.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

paddyor wrote: November 5th, 2022, 9:07 pm
It's been said that Exeters health performance is a bit of a ficition. They're heavily reliant on the backing of Tony Rowe.
2 million of the 2027 bond came from Tony Rowe. He has also given a personal guarantee to cover of 750K of the club's debt.

Not much else about him the Exeter Accounts for June 2021.