Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

The Doc wrote: January 17th, 2023, 3:35 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 17th, 2023, 2:11 pm
blockhead wrote: January 14th, 2023, 10:40 pm
https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/64297517
Premiership Rugby club finances are "clearly unsustainable", a damning parliamentary report has concluded.

Ouch!
I wonder how long it will be until it’s our fault for not falling within their salary cap??!
They already say that - "The European Cup is unfair because nobody else follows our salary cap"
Yup, we need an irony emoji
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

FLIP wrote: January 17th, 2023, 8:15 am There's a growing sentiment online and in the media that this is the fault of the RFU.

Wasn't this setup the whole idea of the PRL and its teams in the first place? If they want the RFU to have responsibility they should place themselves under its care.
When the game went pro the clubs asked the RFU if they were running it and the RFU declined, they didn't want to know.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

FLIP wrote: January 17th, 2023, 8:15 am There's a growing sentiment online and in the media that this is the fault of the RFU.

Wasn't this setup the whole idea of the PRL and its teams in the first place? If they want the RFU to have responsibility they should place themselves under its care.
It seems to be if anything bad happens, its the RFU's fault, if anything good happens (rare), it's because of the PRL. If the PRL deny Ealing promotion again, it'll be one of the biggest farces in the prems history (after the London Welsh fiasco) and they could be facing a huge lawsuit.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

tigerburnie wrote: January 20th, 2023, 5:37 pm

When the game went pro the clubs asked the RFU if they were running it and the RFU declined, they didn't want to know.
The RFU probably didn't have the capability to manage something on that scale at that stage. And they probably didn't forsee the direction that things would go wrong.

In retrospect I think they'd go back and accept that they'd need to transform themselves. They ended up spending big money anyway.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The RFU score again. But it's another o/g. Sweeney, CEO of the RFU has now apologised profusely for manner in which the RFU Committee has handled the introduction of a tackling height change in the Community game.

Why does almost every decision of the RFU Committee remind me of the Conservative Government?
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 27th, 2023, 3:58 pm The RFU score again. But it's another o/g. Sweeney, CEO of the RFU has now apologised profusely for manner in which the RFU Committee has handled the introduction of a tackling height change in the Community game.

Why does almost every decision of the RFU Committee remind me of the Conservative Government?
You are so right, you never see them together in the same room.............................................
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Tigers news

Aled Waters and Richard Wigglesworth are both leaving at the end of the season to go and work for the English National team.

English press have Michael Cheika and Vern Cotter as leading candidates to get the top job for next season. Cotter of course recently quit Fiji and Cheika is in charge of Argentina at the RWC after which he passes that job on to Felipe Contepomi.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

What's Matt O'Connor up to these days? He's probably available.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

cormac wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:54 am What's Matt O'Connor up to these days? He's probably available.
I know this was rhetorical and sarcastic but I was interested to found out (on LinkedIn) that he is a Community Liaison Manager with LDK Seniors' Living - a company building senior living villages in Australia
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Laighin Break wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:58 am
cormac wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:54 am What's Matt O'Connor up to these days? He's probably available.
I know this was rhetorical and sarcastic but I was interested to found out (on LinkedIn) that he is a Community Liaison Manager with LDK Seniors' Living - a company building senior living villages in Australia
Makes sense. He was never too interested in young players.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Schumi wrote: February 8th, 2023, 1:40 pm
Laighin Break wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:58 am
:green clap:

Wonder if there's a massive MOC Out thread on the LDK Seniors' Living supporters forum?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

cormac wrote: February 8th, 2023, 1:43 pm
Laighin Break wrote: February 8th, 2023, 11:58 am I know this was rhetorical and sarcastic but I was interested to found out (on LinkedIn) that he is a Community Liaison Manager with LDK Seniors' Living - a company building senior living villages in Australia

Wonder if there's a massive MOC Out thread on the LDK Seniors' Living supporters forum?
When GoreyGuy hear's about this there will be.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
brotheroffrank
Knowledgeable

Post by brotheroffrank »

blockhead wrote: February 8th, 2023, 2:23 pm
cormac wrote: February 8th, 2023, 1:43 pm

When GoreyGuy hear's about this there will be.
the LDK Seniors' Living supporters forum will have their work cut out to emulate the variety of threads entitled "Time to go MOC"; "MOCBALL" and "Re: What has Matt O'Connor ever done for us (the positives :"...
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

New Zealand press seem confident Cotter is top of the list
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

tigerburnie wrote: February 8th, 2023, 3:55 pm New Zealand press seem confident Cotter is top of the list
He's an excellent coach and would fit in well with Leicester. Very tough for Leicester to have their entire coaching staff stripped out from them. You will get more sympathy on this board than you will elsewhere, as similar has happened to us before.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

I suppose I shouldnt have been surprised.

Shame to see it happen to them.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

BBC News - Worcester Warriors & Wasps: What happens next for relegated Premiership pair?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64623376

It's not over yet.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Good Gawd!

Leicester Tigers need £13m cash injection to avoid going into administration
Premiership champions fear they could be expelled from the league unless shareholders agree to funding from the club’s long-term backers
Premiership champions Leicester Tigers have warned they may need to call in the administrators at the risk of being thrown out of the Premiership unless shareholders agree an emergency injection of up to £13million from non-executive director Tom Scott and executive chairman Peter Tom.

The two long-time backers of Leicester have offered an initial £8.3m between them as part of a new and increased issue of shares, with another £4.7m to follow, to be voted on at a general meeting on 3 March. It would increase the pair’s stakes in the club – in Scott’s case, eventually to a possible majority shareholding.

Leicester are England’s biggest club, with a turnover in the financial year 2021-22 of £22m, and an operating loss of £1.9m. They have won European Cup twice and the league 11 times, most recently under then head coach Steve Borthwick in 2022.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Jaysus.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles