Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Aviva Premiership: something exciting happens

Post by blockhead »

the spoofer wrote: May 12th, 2022, 8:26 pm
FLIP wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:53 pm
the spoofer wrote: May 12th, 2022, 5:50 pm Tigers have announced new signings:

James Cronin, Jimmy Gopperth (39 at start of next season), Phil Cokanasiga (from LI) Olly Cracknell (LI)

I'm not sure who's leaving other than Genge.
Ford is off too, with Handre Pollard coming in to replace him.
Thanks. Watson signed too.
Wow! Thats is a whole heap of ordinary signings, with quality players like Ford and Genge going.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Actual common sense coming out of the Premiership.
'I've listened to and read some of the speculation,' he said. 'I've heard this before. Back in the day, it was because English players were playing too often, but then English clubs started winning.
'Then it was because Irish players didn't play enough. I think it's dangerous to jump to conclusions. I think we probably need to see what happens next year and the year after.'
Mark McCall after Saracens were beaten by Toulon and leaving the Prem with no teams in either final.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

The English aren't alone in overreacting to one bad year. It's only 6 years since everyone was panicking that Pro14 teams would never be competitive again when no one made the quarter finals.

We won it two years later and Munster and us made the semis the next three years. I'll give it a few years before declaring English rugby to be dead.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Schumi wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:05 am The English aren't alone in overreacting to one bad year. It's only 6 years since everyone was panicking that Pro14 teams would never be competitive again when no one made the quarter finals.

We won it two years later and Munster and us made the semis the next three years. I'll give it a few years before declaring English rugby to be dead.
Toulon and Saracens won 6 Heineken Cups between them.

And it still took both the emergence of a new generation of stars like Furlong, Ryan, Ringrose, Larmour and Leavy along with heavy recruitment that brought back Sexton and Isa, projects like Lowe and JGP and experienced leadership in Fardy, and Henshaw. Plus we still had Kearney, Healy, Toner, SOB etc.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

blockhead wrote: May 16th, 2022, 8:51 am Actual common sense coming out of the Premiership.
'I've listened to and read some of the speculation,' he said. 'I've heard this before. Back in the day, it was because English players were playing too often, but then English clubs started winning.
'Then it was because Irish players didn't play enough. I think it's dangerous to jump to conclusions. I think we probably need to see what happens next year and the year after.'
Mark McCall after Saracens were beaten by Toulon and leaving the Prem with no teams in either final.
They still need cash though. Most of the premiership clubs aren't terribly viable so it will keep coming up that European Rugby could be re-jigged to provide them with more money.
It's less to do with their success or any other leagues success than the pounds and euros they strive to get more of.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

'Savage' Lyon pitch blasted as 'more than half' of Wasps' semi-final team suffer burns
Many players suffered flesh injuries after playing on the Stade de Gerland in 30C heat
More than half of the Wasps squad that participated in their European Challenge Cup semi-final defeat suffered burns while playing on Lyon's artificial pitch.

Three days on from the Gallagher Premiership club bowing out with a 20-18 defeat on Saturday to the Top 14 outfit on a burning hot midday encounter in France, Lee Blackett's players are still feeling the after-effects of playing on the Stade de Gerland's synthetic surface.

"We've had players not training this week as a result of it," said head coach Blackett. "[It was] Tough mentally and tough physically there. I've never seen it before. I've seen grazes, but if I just lined them up, you'd be like just 'wow', it's more than half. It's impacted training, it won't affect selection. It's been a couple of days afterward, there have been a lot of guys struggling."

England scrum-half Dan Robson shared his burns on social media and fellow starter in the match, second-row Elliott Stooke, showed his war wounds during Tuesday's media conference at the club's Henley-in-Arden training ground base.

"I'm ******* livid'," said Stooke, who held his knee up to the camera for those attending via video conference call. "I can't even move my leg at the moment because of this burn on my knee. Every time I bend it, it cracks. My eyes are watering every time I sit on the toilet!

"It's sore, they're painful, I don't agree with them. That's one of the worst rubber crumbs I've ever played on, Lyon away. It didn't help that it was 30 degrees and it was baking. I am not a fan.

"Jimmy's [Gopperth] got a nasty one on his arm, Dobby [Robson], has half his leg is missing. I've got half my knee missing. I think it was just that particular rubber crumb on that day in 30-degree heat. It was savage, it really was."

The wounds have impacted preparations for Friday night's penultimate game of Wasps' Gallagher Premiership season against Sale Sharks at the Coventry Building Society Arena - where they are on an eight-game winning run in front of their own fans.
Blackett's side need a win to rise into the division's top eight and gain qualification for next year's Heineken Champions Cup, with a tricky final away game in store against Leicester Tigers at Mattioli Woods Welford Road on June 4.

"I've never seen grazes like this," said Blackett. "[I don't know] Whether the heat had something to do with it? We had guys not finishing training sessions because they're limping around, Stookey being one. I've never seen so many players with issues."

The Wasps boss was keen to point out his issue was not with artificial pitches as a whole, but the particular one his players suffered injuries on at the weekend.
Was it Scarlets with the same compaints a few years back when they played up in Scotscoun I think? How did the home team get on?
These are real problems, maybe it was the heat/pitch combo. Either way it should be investigated.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Massive massive choke by Jackson as Worcester beat LI
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

the spoofer wrote: May 17th, 2022, 10:14 pm Massive massive choke by Jackson as Worcester beat LI
Kicked 7 in a row then missed 4 in a row 🥴
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I don't think those plastic pitches are good idea healthwise for the players. It's not just the skin burns, the surface doesn't give enough, which means that the cumulative pounding is bad for the players' joints. I imagine it's worse the heavier the player is. RO'G hates them too.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

riocard911 wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:45 am I don't think those plastic pitches are good idea healthwise for the players. It's not just the skin burns, the surface doesn't give enough, which means that the cumulative pounding is bad for the players' joints. I imagine it's worse the heavier the player is. RO'G hates them too.
We installed a 3G pitch this year. It is a fabulous surface and skin burn is not an issue. Players (home and away) love it, there is great give(bigger shock pad) and the carpet is fantastic. The older and cheaper installations are an issue.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

the spoofer wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:58 am
riocard911 wrote: May 18th, 2022, 9:45 am I don't think those plastic pitches are good idea healthwise for the players. It's not just the skin burns, the surface doesn't give enough, which means that the cumulative pounding is bad for the players' joints. I imagine it's worse the heavier the player is. RO'G hates them too.
We installed a 3G pitch this year. It is a fabulous surface and skin burn is not an issue. Players (home and away) love it, there is great give(bigger shock pad) and the carpet is fantastic. The older and cheaper installations are an issue.
Good to hear it!
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

My own lingering nerve issues off my neck is from Terenure 3G pitch :cry:
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Listened to eggchasers for the first time, complete tripe. They said the reason that the prem is the most competitive league in the world is because all of the teams spend the same amount after which when discussing permutations for the finals they dismissed half of the 8 in contention as mere speed bumps for the other half. Pure shite podcast
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

London Irish@londonirish
68 | REP | @SeanOBrien1987 departs the field for the last time as Chandler Cunningham-South joins in his place.
The crowd are on their feet here, a phenomenal career Seanie. Thanks for everything. 💚
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
One of the greats bows out.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

blockhead wrote: May 21st, 2022, 10:09 pm
London Irish@londonirish
68 | REP | @SeanOBrien1987 departs the field for the last time as Chandler Cunningham-South joins in his place.
The crowd are on their feet here, a phenomenal career Seanie. Thanks for everything. 💚
:happy clapper: :happy clapper: :happy clapper:
One of the greats bows out.
Hopefully he will get a farewell with the Barbarians. Definitely one of the greats for Leinster, Ireland and the Lions.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

BBC News - Johann Van Graan: Incoming coach to take complete responsibility for rugby matters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61584386

I really don't know what to make of this.

"Stuart Hooper, director of rugby since 2019, becomes general manager.

Hooper will report to Van Graan "in delivering the club's long-term plans which include the further enhancement of its player pathway and academy"."
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

IanD wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:58 pm BBC News - Johann Van Graan: Incoming coach to take complete responsibility for rugby matters

Hooper will report to Van Graan "in delivering the club's long-term plans which include the further enhancement of its player pathway and academy"."
I think it means complete responsibility in the Boris Johnson sense.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: May 25th, 2022, 6:07 pm
IanD wrote: May 25th, 2022, 5:58 pm BBC News - Johann Van Graan: Incoming coach to take complete responsibility for rugby matters

I think it means complete responsibility in the Boris Johnson sense.
The parties should be fun. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Based on the YouTube semis highlights alone, I reckon Saracens will have too much for Leicester in the Prem final.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Owen Farrell wants rugby to be safe, but...

Well I want rugby to be safe, and I hope he gets banned enough that he finally plays right. Utterly repellent.

https://www.the42.ie/owen-farrell-3-5789127-Jun2022/