Connacht Thread 2013/14

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Connacht Thread 2013/14

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Terribly sad news about Wilkinson. He's been an absolute rock for Connacht for a good while now. Lots of comings and goings in their squad over the years but hes remained consistent and was unlucky not to get capped a few years ago. Had no idea the injury was that serious but thankfully it sounds like he's fine now. It could have been a lot worse and at least he got to 30 before it happened.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Terribly sad news about Wilkinson. He's been an absolute rock for Connacht for a good while now. Lots of comings and goings in their squad over the years but hes remained consistent and was unlucky not to get capped a few years ago. Had no idea the injury was that serious but thankfully it sounds like he's fine now. It could have been a lot worse and at least he got to 30 before it happened.
Himself, Muldoon, Duffy and O'Concrete were like the Leo, Jenno, Bod and Heaslip of their set up in terms of constants and leadership IMO.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Connacht with an outstanding comeback against the Scarlets but they're going to lose.

I've only been half watching but Henshaw has been absolutely brilliant from what I've seen.

The ref is easily one of the worst out there. I don't like criticising refs but he is just awful. He just made a shocking call against Connacht that led to a Scarlets try. Connacht must be furious.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

And Henshaw makes a brilliant break to set up a try that gives Connacht two bonus points!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Henshaw was magnificent. With Laulala and Downey out the door at the end of the season a move down the west coast beckons I reckon
I have Bumbleflex
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

I was thinking during the game that I'd hate to see his ability at 15 wasted by moving him to centre just because Ireland have a void there (not that I'd disagree with it) but that last break had centre written all over it....and dare I say it, a bit of BOD about it too. Great stuff.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I really want conacht to make it in to the hc next season, but at the same time I hope they don't so we can poach griffin and henshaw off them.

Great finish from connacht, they are playing some great rugby lately. I didn't think Lam deserved the job initially, but he is doing great work with an average bunch of lads.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Griffin is going to London Irish.

It's a big pity because he seems to finally be injury free and his distribution and awareness has improved massively.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Connacht with an outstanding comeback against the Scarlets but they're going to lose.

I've only been half watching but Henshaw has been absolutely brilliant from what I've seen.

The ref is easily one of the worst out there. I don't like criticising refs but he is just awful. He just made a shocking call against Connacht that led to a Scarlets try. Connacht must be furious.
Yeah it should have been a penalty against Williams. It was out of Nikoras range I think but would have seen the game played out in the other end of the field
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Griffin is going to London Irish.

It's a big pity because he seems to finally be injury free and his distribution and awareness has improved massively.
Forgot about that. Real pity, he is a player I have rated for a while.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Looking at Henshaw's try again and Williams made no effort to roll away from the ruck before it. The ref is standing looking at it but does nothing. Disgraceful.

Yet Connacht were penalised for every little thing they did at the breakdown. A joke of a refereeing performance.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Great second half performance by Connacht. So many players understanding and executing great off-loads and great support play. Whatever has happened since that game against Toulouse, in terms of the coaching of Connacht players, should be taped and distributed through all of the Irish Province Academies.

This is what development of players should produce. Whether talking about Henshaw, Griffin, McSharry. O'Halloran, Marmion, Buckley, Masterson, or McKeon, each one of them gave clear indications that they understand the concepts and have rehearsed the skills that allow a team to play like this. I'd love to think it was Clarke and Lam who have shown how the Chiefs and the Blues develop their young players. If so, Connacht have created an environment which can have an essential part in many young Irish players' development.

It's worth acknowledging that Llanelli turned off the switch when they lost their excellent young scrum-half. However, it should also be noted that their final try was largely down to Jonathon Davies who brought them right up to the Connacht line.

Bravo Connacht and don't throw in the towel now, but keep going for the remainder of the Season at that pitch
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Looking at Henshaw's try again and Williams made no effort to roll away from the ruck before it. The ref is standing looking at it but does nothing. Disgraceful.

Yet Connacht were penalised for every little thing they did at the breakdown. A joke of a refereeing performance.
The ref was harsh on them a couple of times but Connacht's play at the rucks for most of the match was very poor. Players getting isolated with the ball regularly and support players not clearing out properly. Barclay had their number far too often.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Barclay single handedly showing what a plank Scott Johnson is, and thats a lot of work for just one man

I never rated Griffin til I saw him play 12

Marmion and Henshaw have to start 1st summer test with Rabo final only 7 days before it
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:I was thinking during the game that I'd hate to see his ability at 15 wasted by moving him to centre just because Ireland have a void there (not that I'd disagree with it) but that last break had centre written all over it....and dare I say it, a bit of BOD about it too. Great stuff.

His break at the end came when he moved to center. I think center is his position because he has the physicality, athleticism and intelligence ( eg Conrad Smith, BOD etc) for it. Some of his offloading this season has been top class.

Connachts attacking play has been good this season. They're lacking a bit in places but obviously Lam is having some effect as the players seem to be picking up good habits and scoring some nice tries.

If Henshaw can break into the Ireland team and play well - while at Connacht - it will be a great boost for Connacht rugby and help them attract players there.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Terribly sad news about Wilkinson. He's been an absolute rock for Connacht for a good while now. Lots of comings and goings in their squad over the years but hes remained consistent and was unlucky not to get capped a few years ago. Had no idea the injury was that serious but thankfully it sounds like he's fine now. It could have been a lot worse and at least he got to 30 before it happened.
+1
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

munster#1 wrote:I really want conacht to make it in to the hc next season, but at the same time I hope they don't so we can poach griffin and henshaw off them.

Great finish from connacht, they are playing some great rugby lately. I didn't think Lam deserved the job initially, but he is doing great work with an average bunch of lads.
They were playing some tasty stuff during the pre-season, and I really thought Lam would be a success. After the inital stumble he seems to be getting his message through, and still with some injuries as well.
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Any word/hints on any Connacht signings?

Griffin leaving
Tonetti, Wilkinson, Parks and maybe Clarke retired/retiring/maybe retiring
Soailio already gone

Swift is out of contract (37 next October)
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

simonokeeffe wrote:Any word/hints on any Connacht signings?

Griffin leaving
Soailio already gone

Lam has already said they are trying to sign two centers.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Keith wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:Any word/hints on any Connacht signings?

Griffin leaving
Soailio already gone

Lam has already said they are trying to sign two centers.
Because Henshaw is going to the big smoke?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!