Ulster Rugby 2013/2014

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

rooster
Seán Cronin

Re: Ulster Rugby 2013/2014

Post by rooster »

ceemec wrote:
paddyor wrote:
ceemec wrote:I think Ulster could be in very dangerous territory. If they stop bankrolling the big name players, they're going to be in trouble. They do not possess a trophy winning side when you take out their NIQ players, particularly up front. .
They didn't have a trophy winning side with the big name players. They lost 2 finals to us and got knocked out at the semi. I think 2012/13 was their year.
They lost a Pro12 final to us because they made a complete balls up of things off the pitch and played their home final in the ground of their opponents. If Ravenhill was ready last season as originally intended, I'd be fairly sure Ulster would have had a title.
They would have had it for the Rabo final if we had a home European by putting in a temporary stand, but the drawback would have been they would have run the risk of missing a home Heiney quarter this season which we just got passed in the nick of time.
Leoslovechild
Mullet

Post by Leoslovechild »

simonokeeffe wrote:They were some Diack butchery away from winning league final last year and a bad refereeing decision away from a HC final this year. Bu there is sense now of the band breaking up
So they would have beaten Clermont in the semi final...and it wasn't a bad refereeing decision it was correct

That's like saying the dog would have won the race if he hadn't stopped for a sh*t
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Leoslovechild wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote:They were some Diack butchery away from winning league final last year and a bad refereeing decision away from a HC final this year. Bu there is sense now of the band breaking up
So they would have beaten Clermont in the semi final...and it wasn't a bad refereeing decision it was correct

That's like saying the dog would have won the race if he hadn't stopped for a sh*t
Clermont were abject in the semi and Ulster would have had home advantage
Fine :P they were some narrowly missed kicks away from HC final
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Clermont have made a bit of a habit if being sh!t in the semi's.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Aird
Bookworm

Post by Aird »

I wouldn't write off Ulster just yet, just cast your memory back to Munster vUlster where Ulster according to the Southern Press were just cannon fodder.
Also financially Ulster with a new rent free 18k seater Stadium, with no landlord running the catering and drinks franchises,
are in an ever strengthening situation

They have had a sizeable increase in their Season Tkt sales and with regular "Sold out " notices being posted things are moving forward.
I know that the selling of the naming rights To Kingspan has been the subject of some controversy but it is all more gist to the mill.
Finally a year out from the RWC. Is not a time to be signing NIQ players better to have a few pounds set aside for future signings
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Aird wrote:I wouldn't write off Ulster just yet, just cast your memory back to Munster vUlster where Ulster according to the Southern Press were just cannon fodder.
Also financially Ulster with a new rent free 18k seater Stadium, with no landlord running the catering and drinks franchises,

They have had a sizeable increase in their Season Tkt sales and with regular "Sold out " notices being posted things are moving forward.
I know that the selling of the naming rights To Kingspan has been the subject of some controversy but it is all more gist to the mill.
Finally a year out from the RWC. Is not a time to be signing NIQ players better to have a few pounds set aside for future signings
they should make league playoffs again but they dont have the props for Europe and and now even more dependent on Pienaar
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

offshorerules wrote:Clermont have made a bit of a habit if being sh!t in the semi's.
Really?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Gloucester have signed up new defence and backs coaches so doesn't look like anyone else will be poached from Ulster.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

If Anscombe isn't popular and his appointment ends prematurely in failure then it makes sense for Humphries to jump ship.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

cormac wrote:
offshorerules wrote:Clermont have made a bit of a habit if being sh!t in the semi's.
Really?
Well knock out stages in general.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Aird wrote:I wouldn't write off Ulster just yet, just cast your memory back to Munster vUlster where Ulster according to the Southern Press were just cannon fodder.

The words "rent-free", "catering & drinks franchise" and "naming rights" are something Leinster can prob only ever dream of. It's a big deal for Ulster to have that revenue.
rooster
Seán Cronin

Post by rooster »

jezzer wrote:

The words "rent-free", "catering & drinks franchise" and "naming rights" are something Leinster can prob only ever dream of. It's a big deal for Ulster to have that revenue.
The naming, drinks and catering probably come to around £600 k plus per year, the big one is the stadium costs
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Gloucester have signed up new defence and backs coaches so doesn't look like anyone else will be poached from Ulster.
Laurie Fisher being reportedly lined up as head coach
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Larkham as head coach at Brumbies then?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Morf wrote:Larkham as head coach at Brumbies then?
go Bernie go
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Morf wrote:Larkham as head coach at Brumbies then?
3 year deal apparently.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

Mark Anscombe has been dismissed as Ulster coach. Les Kiss appointed new DoR for time being.
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

ceemec wrote:Mark Anscombe has been dismissed as Ulster coach. Les Kiss appointed new DoR for time being.
IT reporting it as he quit.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:
I would hope that the senior players, particularly Best, are being very forceful with Logan about the whole coaching situation. Judging by UAFC, it could be Clarke who takes over which would not be a popular decision and that's with Anscombe already being unpopular and by all accounts a dead man walking. Rumours Johnny Bell wants out too.

I like Logan and would trust him to sort this out, but it sounds like he'll have to make one or two big calls in terms of getting rid of people or Ulster are screwed for next season. It would be a terrible shame if their experienced players/young talents had a wasted season because of a mess upstairs.
Apologies for quoting myself but in light of what I said here, I think this is a really good move for all concerned.

The problem is that it's only the first step and there's a long way to go before sorting things properly.

I love the idea of the union helping them out and giving them Kiss but not sure how it'll work in practice. If it really is just temporary then it could be problematic to implement certain ideas in the short term and then need to start again (admittedly only to a certain extent) in a few months. Also not a fan of him double jobbing a year out from the World Cup when we've already lost Plumtree. The whole situation has obviously been an issue for a couple of months now, very curious to know if they have someone lined up or if they'll wait a year to make a proper appointment.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

Bit much that he quit when we announced "Tallaght Friendly" :D