Ulster Rugby 2013/2014

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Topdawg
Learner

Re: Ulster Rugby 2013/2014

Post by Topdawg »

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

rooster wrote:The strange team picks at times is a worry but not as much as some of the totally crazy game plans and substitutions, the worst example being the playoff against Leinster
That was a bit odd, didn't realise it was a common issue though.

Everyone makes mistakes but That kind of thing is inherent in a coach IMO.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Theres also no need for change just for the sake of it eg if you have wing cadre of Trimble, Gilroy, and Bowe thats 3 Irish internationals with decent age profile, no point rotating them out of the team just because they don't know who Dizzie Rascal is

Compare it to us: Jordi Murphy only new back five forward to have established themselves in the squad in last 2 or 3 years but we still have plenty of internationals, good age profile and hardly being stagnant

Prop only area you can say squad is weak, which it is, but injuries have played a significant part
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ronk wrote:
Peg Leg wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:My mind has gone blank, why has Anscombe's star fallen so much over the last few months?
He's their Mancini, Humphries had nothing to do with it.
I don't know why Ulster expected to be successful with a team built around a potentially v. good out-half.
I don't get it at all.
The Humphries dig was Tongue in cheek. But he is their Mancini, the fans felt he was given the resources to take the team all the way and his teams just haven't seem to be lacking somehow.
The latter comment is my own, to be successful you need a very good fly-half, not a potentially very good fly-half.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Windeos
Learner

Post by Windeos »

Apparently Anscomb has been a real ass to quite a few of the youngsters, his man management seems really poor. There is a story about young Nelson I believe, where Anscomb ripped the kid in front of the whole 1st xv and told him something like, "f#ck off back to the Ravens".

Rumours about Anscomb not making an appearance at the end of season do etc. Seems like some real disharmony between him and the squad.

Anscomb was also looking to get the Glaws job as well as another job with a Welsh team so he's a dead man walking really next season imo.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Windeos wrote:Apparently Anscomb has been a real ass to quite a few of the youngsters, his man management seems really poor. There is a story about young Nelson I believe, where Anscomb ripped the kid in front of the whole 1st xv and told him something like, "f#ck off back to the Ravens".

Rumours about Anscomb not making an appearance at the end of season do etc. Seems like some real disharmony between him and the squad.

Anscomb was also looking to get the Glaws job as well as another job with a Welsh team so he's a dead man walking really next season imo.
if its that bad and HUmph is that good why not heave ho him out now?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

WRT to looking for a new job, surely that was before his contract was extended with Ulster? If he was given assurances by Ulster but was still looking elsewhere then fair enough.
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:WRT to looking for a new job, surely that was before his contract was extended with Ulster? If he was given assurances by Ulster but was still looking elsewhere then fair enough.
WRT?
Alternative Ulster
Graduate

Post by Alternative Ulster »

With regard to
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

simonokeeffe wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote:WRT to looking for a new job, surely that was before his contract was extended with Ulster? If he was given assurances by Ulster but was still looking elsewhere then fair enough.
WRT?

Have all the positives of a non-corporate lifestyle ever been encapsulated before in fewer characters??
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

jezzer wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: WRT?
Have all the positives of a non-corporate lifestyle ever been encapsulated before in fewer characters??
Elegantly put Jezzer.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

Peg Leg wrote:
jezzer wrote:
simonokeeffe wrote: WRT?
Elegantly put Jezzer.
I doff my flat cap
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Just had a look at our Ulster counterparts site to see if they mentioned Trenier....yikes....I knew there were doubts about Anscombe but they really do hate him. Sounds like there's serious trouble up there, not good to see.
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote:Just had a look at our Ulster counterparts site to see if they mentioned Trenier....yikes....I knew there were doubts about Anscombe but they really do hate him. Sounds like there's serious trouble up there, not good to see.
I think Ulster could be in very dangerous territory. If they stop bankrolling the big name players, they're going to be in trouble. They do not possess a trophy winning side when you take out their NIQ players, particularly up front. I wonder if DH leaving was a case of getting out before a potential downturn comes into play. Part of the dissatisfaction may stem from a feeling that Anscombe's time in charge really was the window of opportunity which now seems to be closing.

1-10 of Black, Best, Lutton, Henderson, Tuohy, Diack, Henry, Wilson, Marshall and Jackson can beat many teams but won't be able to compete with the top sides when the crunch comes. The NIQ players that have come in are already of a lower profile than the ones they're replacing.

If we look at the Ulster academy, it really isn't producing to any degree up front. Conor Joyce is their only back row prospect and it remains to be seen if he'll made the grade. It's a worrying scenario and a shame that a side with such massive back line talent, might be severely hampered by the lack of production up front.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I said before earlier in this thread I think that I got the distinct impression DH felt he had already achieved all he could with Ulster so it was a career move on his part. Just an opinion but I would be quite surprised if he wasn't very ambitious.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ceemec wrote:I think Ulster could be in very dangerous territory. If they stop bankrolling the big name players, they're going to be in trouble. They do not possess a trophy winning side when you take out their NIQ players, particularly up front. .
They didn't have a trophy winning side with the big name players. They lost 2 finals to us and got knocked out at the semi. I think 2012/13 was their year.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

paddyor wrote:
ceemec wrote:I think Ulster could be in very dangerous territory. If they stop bankrolling the big name players, they're going to be in trouble. They do not possess a trophy winning side when you take out their NIQ players, particularly up front. .
They didn't have a trophy winning side with the big name players. They lost 2 finals to us and got knocked out at the semi. I think 2012/13 was their year.
They lost a Pro12 final to us because they made a complete balls up of things off the pitch and played their home final in the ground of their opponents. If Ravenhill was ready last season as originally intended, I'd be fairly sure Ulster would have had a title.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Agree with a lot of that ceemec BUT I think they still have enough about them to overcome most of their deficiencies IF things off the pitch are in good shape. The way things are going though, I think they could be in real trouble. I foresee a similar situation to France at the World Cup where the players basically have to rally together and cut off any outside influences.

I would hope that the senior players, particularly Best, are being very forceful with Logan about the whole coaching situation. Judging by UAFC, it could be Clarke who takes over which would not be a popular decision and that's with Anscombe already being unpopular and by all accounts a dead man walking. Rumours Johnny Bell wants out too.

I like Logan and would trust him to sort this out, but it sounds like he'll have to make one or two big calls in terms of getting rid of people or Ulster are screwed for next season. It would be a terrible shame if their experienced players/young talents had a wasted season because of a mess upstairs.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

Just don't let it affect Stuart Olding for the love of BOD!
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

They were some Diack butchery away from winning league final last year and a bad refereeing decision away from a HC final this year. Bu there is sense now of the band breaking up