Sky announce 4 year deal to broadcast RaboPro12

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

tate
Shane Horgan

Sky announce 4 year deal to broadcast RaboPro12

Post by tate »

Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: Sky announce 4 year deal to broadcast RaboPro12

Post by Dave Cahill »

It doesn't say if its exclusive. And one would hope not, because if it were it would mean a significant drop in the amount of games covered
I have Bumbleflex
tate
Shane Horgan

Post by tate »

Rabo statement to come later today
Go on, give us a goo! https://twitter.com/DebRugby - rugby from Europe's eastern fringe.
rummyometer
Bookworm

Post by rummyometer »

Great news if the below is true. More than 50% revenue increase, complementary to current terrestrial deal, and 125 of 135 games shown live.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -deal.html

It is expected that under a new four-year deal with the satellite broadcaster, which will begin for the 2014-15 season, 30 games a season will be shown on Saturdays.
It will mark an increase of more than 50 per cent on existing television revenues, which are shared between the Welsh, Scottish and Irish Unions.
The Pro12 currently has agreements with regional broadcasters BBC ALBA, BBC Northern Ireland, RTE, TG4, BBC Wales and S4C, but it is thought that the new Sky deal will be an addition to those contracts and not replace them.
That will not only ensure that the tournament is broadcast nationwide for the first time but also result in 125 of the 135 games being televised live.
Sky Sports will also gain the rights to broadcast the semi-finals and finals live, in conjunction with the territorial broadcaster where those games take place.
The move comes after Sky Sports lost the rights to broadcast the Aviva Premiership from next season to BT Vision and underlines the growing strength of the Pro12 both commercially and in terms of audience figures.
The competition is expecting a total of 1.2 million spectators this season, an increase of 100,000 from last season, while viewing figures are also up by around 25 per cent.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Yep, if Sky are an additional partner, then there is nothing but creamy goodness in this deal
I have Bumbleflex
the economist
Bookworm

Sky Sports

Post by the economist »

Lamb of BOD
Enlightened

Re: Sky Sports

Post by Lamb of BOD »

Veely intelesting.

Rugby fans across the water will now get to see how the game should be played.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Sounds like a great deal to me. Higher profile for the competition as well can be nothing but good for it and it's sponsors, and thus it's participants. And the fans get to see more games live when they can't get to them. Win win win.

Or have I missed the downside?
Four Stars
domhnallj
Rhys Ruddock

Post by domhnallj »

Swap the AP for the Rabbo. Yes please! I was considering my subscription since I mostly have Sky sports for their rugby coverage but this changes my decision to ditch it.
"That was shiterarse coaches need to look at themselves this is as bad at is.beem with school. Items impeovrnkyb neefedc"

Golf Man sums up the mood of a nation
dingodublin
Beginner

Post by dingodublin »

AT least we will still get to see the majority of the games for free on RTE/TG4/BBC NI etc. But yes a good move if it increases the audience of the pro12 in En Ger Land
I have the simplest of tastes, I only want the best!
mtleinster
Enlightened

Post by mtleinster »

Important note
The Pro12 currently has agreements with regional broadcasters BBC ALBA, BBC Northern Ireland, RTE, TG4, BBC Wales and S4C, but it is thought that the new Sky deal will be an addition to those contracts and not replace them.
Les chances que Sexton vienne en France sont infimes
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

This is fantastic news for the league and really positive for Irish rugby.

Firstly, Sky do a fantastic job of covering and promoting rugby, as we've seen from their coverage of the pro-era Lions tours, pretty much the entire history of the Heineken Cup and the premiership in its various guises. They won't be putting together a broadcasting team from scratch, instead likely transferring guys across from their Premiership and ERC stables. That means that there won't be much [if any] fumbling around and f*cking things up when they start their term.

Throwing their weight behind the Pro12 might be primarily a knee-jerk reaction to BT outbidding them for the Premiership [I doubt they would have entered the market otherwise, but maybe I'm wrong] but it seems pretty obvious to me that they'll see the room there is for growth in the league – in conjunction with very useful terrestrial broadcasters at first, and especially in Italy – and will go all-in to promote the league as at least the equal of the French and English leagues, not merely the tacked together space filler between Heineken Cup games that it is too often portrayed as.

The quality of their magazine shows [The Rugby Club obviously, but Ringside is absolutely first rate for boxing, and I'm sure their football ones are pretty good as well] is very promising in terms of what they might do for the Pro12. It will certainly put a bit of pressure on RTE to up its game, because once there's a direct competitor on the market, the guys who were once sitting pretty in splendid isolation now feel a bit of heat from negative comparisons.

Sky back their product. There are few enough people [and I'm not one of them] who haven't taken the p*ss out of their over-hyping of the Premiership, but f*ck it, I'll take the positive approach over the smirking, "it's only the Rabo" stylings of the RTE crowd any day of the week. I really enjoy the league and think that it's undervalued – undervalued by RTE, undervalued by the casual rugby follower and [under Declan Kidney] undervalued by important parts of the Irish rugby establishment.
Maradona10
Bookworm

Post by Maradona10 »

hugonaut wrote:
Sky back their product. There are few enough people [and I'm not one of them] who haven't taken the p*ss out of their over-hyping of the Premiership, but f*ck it, I'll take the positive approach over the smirking, "it's only the Rabo" stylings of the RTE crowd any day of the week. I really enjoy the league and think that it's undervalued – undervalued by RTE, undervalued by the casual rugby follower and [under Declan Kidney] undervalued by important parts of the Irish rugby establishment.
One of my favourite quotes of all time came a few years back on Sky's rugby coverage. It was halftime in Gloucester vs Wasps? and Will Greenwood said: "James Forrester is the best no. 8 in Europe at the moment". You've gotta laugh.
"Andy Goode? More like Andy Foooooooode" - Phil Kearns
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

hugonaut wrote:Sky back their product. There are few enough people [and I'm not one of them] who haven't taken the p*ss out of their over-hyping of the Premiership, but f*ck it, I'll take the positive approach over the smirking, "it's only the Rabo" stylings of the RTE crowd any day of the week. I really enjoy the league and think that it's undervalued – undervalued by RTE, undervalued by the casual rugby follower and [under Declan Kidney] undervalued by important parts of the Irish rugby establishment.
Exactly. Their coverage has been uniformly excellent, and I'll vouch for the quality of their peripheral football coverage as well. It'll certainly - or should certainly - force RTE into a (hopefully) agonising reappraisal of their very ordinary efforts.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

They might not have exclusive rights to the competition, but it looks like they have exclusive rights to the matches they have the rights to.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

hugonaut wrote:This is fantastic news for the league and really positive for Irish rugby.

Firstly, Sky do a fantastic job of covering and promoting rugby, as we've seen from their coverage of the pro-era Lions tours, pretty much the entire history of the Heineken Cup and the premiership in its various guises. They won't be putting together a broadcasting team from scratch, instead likely transferring guys across from their Premiership and ERC stables. That means that there won't be much [if any] fumbling around and f*cking things up when they start their term.

Throwing their weight behind the Pro12 might be primarily a knee-jerk reaction to BT outbidding them for the Premiership [I doubt they would have entered the market otherwise, but maybe I'm wrong] but it seems pretty obvious to me that they'll see the room there is for growth in the league – in conjunction with very useful terrestrial broadcasters at first, and especially in Italy – and will go all-in to promote the league as at least the equal of the French and English leagues, not merely the tacked together space filler between Heineken Cup games that it is too often portrayed as.

The quality of their magazine shows [The Rugby Club obviously, but Ringside is absolutely first rate for boxing, and I'm sure their football ones are pretty good as well] is very promising in terms of what they might do for the Pro12. It will certainly put a bit of pressure on RTE to up its game, because once there's a direct competitor on the market, the guys who were once sitting pretty in splendid isolation now feel a bit of heat from negative comparisons.

This- The movement of Sky into this arena has will enhance the product. The chosen ignorance of so many towards this league (an ignorance almost championed by RTE) has always been a bug bear of mine. The additional funds could aid in keeping all of the participating nations players on home soil!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

To me the biggest effect could be each of the PRO 12 Teams increasing revenue. Can happen 2 ways - because of the extra exposure in England of Club sponsors and increase of sales in jerseys etc. Kit sales might not be a huge amount but ever little helps.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

IanD wrote:To me the biggest effect could be each of the PRO 12 Teams increasing revenue. Can happen 2 ways - because of the extra exposure in England of Club sponsors and increase of sales in jerseys etc. Kit sales might not be a huge amount but ever little helps.
Exposure in a bigger market [i.e. everybody who subscribes to Sky Sports in the UK, which is a healthy-enough percentage of the rugby-watching population over there, you'd imagine] will probably mean a more lucrative deal from the name sponsor. Whether that means RaboDirect paying more money when it comes up for renewal, or whether somebody comes in and outbids them is another matter. I recall at one stage that both HSBC and Fiat were mentioned as possible sponsors of the Pro12.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

24 British & Irish Lions play in the Rabo. 11 play in the Premiership, and 2 play in France.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote:
IanD wrote:To me the biggest effect could be each of the PRO 12 Teams increasing revenue. Can happen 2 ways - because of the extra exposure in England of Club sponsors and increase of sales in jerseys etc. Kit sales might not be a huge amount but ever little helps.
Exposure in a bigger market [i.e. everybody who subscribes to Sky Sports in the UK, which is a healthy-enough percentage of the rugby-watching population over there, you'd imagine] will probably mean a more lucrative deal from the name sponsor. Whether that means RaboDirect paying more money when it comes up for renewal, or whether somebody comes in and outbids them is another matter. I recall at one stage that both HSBC and Fiat were mentioned as possible sponsors of the Pro12.
Be great to see Leinster shirts appearing round the UK too :)