RIP Nevin Spence

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Re: RIP Nevin Spence

Post by Xanthippe »

Statement from Johann Muller
18 September 2012, 11:59 am

On behalf of the entire Ulster Rugby squad, I would like to extend my heartfelt sympathy to the Spence family at this time.

Nevin’s loss will be felt deeply by us all. We are equally saddened by the tragic deaths of his father Noel and his brother Graham. The thoughts of every member of the squad are with Nevin’s mother Essie, and his sisters Emma and Laura. We would also like to pass on our condolences to Graham’s wife and children. We wish Emma a full and speedy recovery.

Nevin Spence was a highly skilful and gifted rugby player. He was utterly committed to Ulster and was enormously proud to represent his Province. He was determined to be the best that he could be and I have no doubt that he would have gone on to play for Ireland on many occasions. He was the kind of player that inspired others with his attitude in training and sheer will to win in matches.

His positive outlook on life brought a smile to people’s faces. He was kind, polite, generous and courageous, and we were blessed to have him in our team.The one comfort for us as a squad is that we have each other for support. It has been a difficult time for the players and coaches but I believe that through this tragic loss, we will have a new sense of togetherness.

I and the rest of the Ulster Rugby squad would like to thank the many people who have sent messages of support to the club, not only from within the Province, but throughout Ireland, Europe and the world. It is clear from these messages that Nevin was highly regarded by players and fans of many different sports, in many different countries.

I would like to thank the organising committee of the RaboDirect PRO12 for postponing this weekend’s game with Zebre and for allowing us the space and time to begin to come to terms with Nevin’s loss.

In the coming weeks, the Ulster Rugby team will return to the pitch. Over the course of the rest of this year and in future seasons we will experience wins and we will no doubt suffer defeats. Players will move on or retire and new players will come in and represent the Province. But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10796.php

#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

IT mentioned today Stand Up For The Ulster Men is being sung for Nevin before kick off so hopefully we can get a fitting rendition going
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

simonno6 wrote:http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/09/20/clueless/

words fail me...
A bit soon!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
simonno6
Rhys Ruddock

Post by simonno6 »

Peg Leg wrote:
simonno6 wrote:http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/09/20/clueless/

words fail me...
A bit soon!
Apparently the Examiner have apologised
Saturday 23rd May 2009 - Number 1
Saturday 21st May 2011 - Brace
Saturday 19th May 2012 - Hatrick!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

The best thing that can be done is to ignore it. This is a thread in tribute of the lads life and untimely death, lets not leave it become a thread about how sh1t the media are. The link should be removed from this thread imo
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I don't see how you can be offended over that. There was zero intention to cause offense and only people looking to be offended would be offended over it.
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

dropkick wrote:I don't see how you can be offended over that. There was zero intention to cause offense and only people looking to be offended would be offended over it.
You should read MFs, some of the posters are offended because SUFTUM was not sang after the minutes silence, eventhough they were there and they didnt sing it.
scrum5
Beginner

Post by scrum5 »

Just back from the Memorial Service for Nevin Spence about 4000+ people there including the whole Leinster squad and also representives from Munster including Paul O'Connell, BJ, Dougie Howlett and Axel Foley. Just want to say thank you for all your kind words, thoughts and prayers at this time for Nevin, Noel, Graham, the Spence family and those at Ulster Rugby whether player or supporter. The moments silence last night at the RDS and especially the singing SUFTUM will live long in my memory and i'm sure in the memory of all those who heard it last night...Thank you again from a very humbled Ulsterman.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

scrum5 wrote:Just back from the Memorial Service for Nevin Spence about 4000+ people there including the whole Leinster squad and also representives from Munster including Paul O'Connell, BJ, Dougie Howlett and Axel Foley. Just want to say thank you for all your kind words, thoughts and prayers at this time for Nevin, Noel, Graham, the Spence family and those at Ulster Rugby whether player or supporter. The moments silence last night at the RDS and especially the singing SUFTUM will live long in my memory and i'm sure in the memory of all those who heard it last night...Thank you again from a very humbled Ulsterman.
If you weren't grief-struck over the sheer tragedy of the Spence family's disaster, you never will be. I have to say I'm a bit of a repressed eejit when it comes to getting emotional over death, but I had a tear in my eye during the minute's silence and a lump in my throat singing SUFTM. Very moving.

I go to games with my 70-year old dad, who just had a knee op, so I couldn't really queue for the book of condolences, but it was very gratifying to see maybe a hundred people lining up to sign it, with only a few minutes to go before kickoff. Feel a bit cr@p for not having been able to sign it, but I think a lot of rugby people, like me, have the Spence's in our thoughts a lot over the last while.

I heard somewhere there's a collection being done to help support the family. Is that true?
scrum5
Beginner

Post by scrum5 »

No collection for the family, all money being donated to the IRFU Charitable Trust...Thanks again
Slipper1
Rob Kearney

Post by Slipper1 »

jezzer wrote:
...... Feel a bit cr@p for not having been able to sign it, but I think a lot of rugby people, like me, have the Spence's in our thoughts a lot over the last while.
If you email olsc@leinsterrugby dot ie they will add your message to the book of condolence, alternatively, you can leave a message on the OLSC facebook page and they will add it to the book before it goes north.
Get in the f%~king bag.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

1 year this weekend.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

On the 10th anniversary of his tragic death (and of his brother and father) this excellent piece of writing from Garry Doyle in The42:

https://www.the42.ie/nevin-spence-5868541-Sep2022/
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 17th, 2022, 9:33 am On the 10th anniversary of his tragic death (and of his brother and father) this excellent piece of writing from Garry Doyle in The42:

Thanks for sharing. Great article - I never really thought about the impact on friends and teammates.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the awful news. I had just been to an anniversary mass for a relation of my partner. We were sitting in the kitchen in a house surrounded by farmland and I read that there was an accident on a farm and 3 were dead. There was a moment of silence before someone said "there for the grace of God......" It was rural and farming people mourning other rural farming people.

It was only later we found out it was the Spence family and it's impact on the rugby side of life.

It really does not seem like 10 years ago.
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

IanD wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:20 am
Ruckedtobits wrote: September 17th, 2022, 9:33 am On the 10th anniversary of his tragic death (and of his brother and father) this excellent piece of writing from Garry Doyle in The42:

Thanks for sharing. Great article - I never really thought about the impact on friends and teammates.

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the awful news. I had just been to an anniversary mass for a relation of my partner. We were sitting in the kitchen in a house surrounded by farmland and I read that there was an accident on a farm and 3 were dead. There was a moment of silence before someone said "there for the grace of God......" It was rural and farming people mourning other rural farming people.

It was only later we found out it was the Spence family and it's impact on the rugby side of life.

It really does not seem like 10 years ago.
I was with Leinster party in Cardiff Airport on way back from a game when we heard. As details emerged, I watched some of his Irish U.20 teammates go into shock. It certainly had a huge impact on an entire generation of young sporting stars, who often feel they wear an unbreakable suit of armour.
Last edited by Ruckedtobits on September 17th, 2022, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

I was in my local having a pint when the PRO of the MRSC rang me to ask if I'd heard a rumour that Nevin Spence had passed away - I hadn't, but he was worried because the guy who told him was a reliable guy. I decided to find out for certain so I gave Gerry Thornley a ring to see if he knew anything. He hadn't, so he rang off and got in touch with Ulster to confirm if it was true or not. He rang me back confirming the news, audibly upset as he had interviewed Nevin earlier that week. It was such a dreadful shock. As someone from a farming family, there are two phrases you never want to hear - PTO and Slurry Tank because you know how the story ends. Such a fine young player, such a career cut short, so much life left unlived.
I have Bumbleflex
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

I remember it incredibly clearly and was very moved by Leinster's response at the RDS where we all sang "stand up for the Ulsterman" following the silence. Awful situation for that poor family and we lost a very very good player. So incredibly sad for the family, friends and the Ulster squad who were devastated by this news.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us