Munster Thread 2012-2013

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

The Burner
Beginner

Re: Munster Thread 2012-2013

Post by The Burner »

Like it or not, this is the best decision for Munster. Limerick is the home of Munster rugby and everyone knows it. This isnt about what county has more representative. Dublin 4 is the home of Leinster rugby it doesnt mean the majority of their players come from there does it? This is the only logical thing to do and while we are at it we should play all our games in Thomond Park. The attendances in Musgrave are not good enough to make it viable. Munster are losing financially by continuing this Musgrave park fiasco.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

mikerob wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
Bosco wrote:Munster could never base themselves in Cork, look what they did to Nick Williams, Player of the Year this year after drying out
More to it than that. Williams is a born-again type and is a very good fit up in Ulster with the lads who take their religion very seriously and promote it in public [Trimble, Muller etc.]. It's a different atmosphere than in Munster and one that obviously suits him down to the ground, because he's fulfilling his potential and has had a great season.

Munster is a camp that puts a lot of emphasis on team spirit through constant slagging and building the chip on the shoulder. It's not for everybody. Lads from different backgrounds who aren't used to it can often take it at face value/take it the wrong way.
Dunno about the whole squad ethos thing, but a key point is that Anscombe knows Williams from way, way, back and pushed D Humph to recruit him in the first place. I think Anscombe simply knows how to manage Williams and get the best out of him and there is an interview with Anscombe here talking about this.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 46827.html
That would have been my reading too
"I've known him a long time and I know what he's capable of doing. There are areas of his game where he can be frustrating, but there's a lot of good things about his game as well."
That quote says it all. In Munster he was popular for a while but his weaknesses were exposed. He was a system player (to borrow the American football concept), in the wrong system James Coughlan is in the right system.
Oulart
Learner

Post by Oulart »

Who was smoking what when they formulated the idea to have the team training in two different places?
ceemec
Shane Jennings

Post by ceemec »

The Burner wrote:Like it or not, this is the best decision for Munster. Limerick is the home of Munster rugby and everyone knows it. This isnt about what county has more representative. Dublin 4 is the home of Leinster rugby it doesnt mean the majority of their players come from there does it? This is the only logical thing to do and while we are at it we should play all our games in Thomond Park. The attendances in Musgrave are not good enough to make it viable. Munster are losing financially by continuing this Musgrave park fiasco.
I suppose the counter argument is isolating the Cork based fans. If there is a move to leave Cork without any games, the Cork supporters could well be disenchanted to the point where they don't bother travelling to Thomond (I'm assuming there are thousands that do regularly) or buy as much merchandise.

Now, I know it's not in the nature of Cork people to be bitter or strike or turn on their own, but it's something that would probably be considered.
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

simonokeeffe wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:Well I suppose an element had to do with the bid/ suggestion from CIT that they take over the role DCU has with them.

Limerick has an airport I believe also. Used to anyway.
Shannon has an airport. :(

the airport got beaten by UCD at the weekend and relegated from international to regional
Joking aside it is an interesting shift in the world order at club level, Leinster teams are flourishing in the AIL which makes a difference for the academy players on the teams. Shannon and UL Bohs dropping down a division doesn't help Munster rugby, doesn't help the Munster Academy and doesn't help the timing of the move to Limerick
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
Armchair
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Armchair »

ceemec wrote:
The Burner wrote:Like it or not, this is the best decision for Munster. Limerick is the home of Munster rugby and everyone knows it. This isnt about what county has more representative. Dublin 4 is the home of Leinster rugby it doesnt mean the majority of their players come from there does it? This is the only logical thing to do and while we are at it we should play all our games in Thomond Park. The attendances in Musgrave are not good enough to make it viable. Munster are losing financially by continuing this Musgrave park fiasco.
I suppose the counter argument is
isolating the Cork based fans
. If there is a move to leave Cork without any games, the Cork supporters could well be disenchanted to the point where they don't bother travelling to Thomond (I'm assuming there are thousands that do regularly) or buy as much merchandise.

Now, I know it's not in the nature of Cork people to be bitter or strike or turn on their own, but it's something that would probably be considered.
isolating the Cork based fans
:lol: :lol:
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Munster Rugby shall henceforth be known as Limerick RFC.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

The ramifications of this decision are significant on a number of levels. Rugby in Munster has always been a fusion of the working-class, Limerick "Pride & Honesty" brigade, and the rather more urbane, middle-class "Corkonian Constitution Mafioso". Tipp, Clare and Kerry have always contributed with some stellar players throughout the years. Waawaafor? The less said, the better.

Munster missed a trick in the boom years (2000 -2008) to expand rugby in Cork beyond the Pres/Christians gene pool. Guys like Sweetnam should not be the exception, but the rule. Rugby in Limerick is still incredibly well supported, but they have struggled in the professional era to produce any decent first team players (POC, Murray, Sherry, Kilcoyne and Earls are their only current representatives). The Academy is currently stuffed with Cork players, with more coming through next season.

Musgrave Park is a white elephant, which MR should have sold off around 2007 for big bucks. Instead they went with a cheap tart-up and now struggle to get even 4000 to attend low-grade p12 games. Losing Musgrave made sense from a financial perspective, but given this will be coming down the line anyway - as soon as MR can get a sensible buyer - the decision needed to be made to base the team in Cork, in order to maintain some semblance of a duopoly.

The days of Munster Vs South Dublin are over; the days of Limerick Vs South Dublin are about to begin.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

The Burner wrote:Like it or not, this is the best decision for Munster. Limerick is the home of Munster rugby and everyone knows it. This isnt about what county has more representative. Dublin 4 is the home of Leinster rugby it doesnt mean the majority of their players come from there does it? This is the only logical thing to do and while we are at it we should play all our games in Thomond Park. The attendances in Musgrave are not good enough to make it viable. Munster are losing financially by not properly supporting or marketing games held Musgrave park.
Fixed that for you, despite the "recession" and "communion season" if you can get 1,000's turning out for games in London and Marseilles on a sunny afternoon but can't get a decent crowd to a small satdium after work on a Friday or on a Saturday evening having a few pints watching the rugby near their gaff from the largest population centre in your province for the only professional sports team in the province then there is clearly something wrong with the way you are selling/marketing your product.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Apocrypha wrote:The ramifications of this decision are significant on a number of levels. Rugby in Munster has always been a fusion of the working-class, Limerick "Pride & Honesty" brigade, and the rather more urbane, middle-class "Corkonian Constitution Mafioso". Tipp, Clare and Kerry have always contributed with some stellar players throughout the years. Waawaafor? The less said, the better.

Munster missed a trick in the boom years (2000 -2008) to expand rugby in Cork beyond the Pres/Christians gene pool. Guys like Sweetnam should not be the exception, but the rule. Rugby in Limerick is still incredibly well supported, but they have struggled in the professional era to produce any decent first team players (POC, Murray, Sherry, Kilcoyne and Earls are their only current representatives). The Academy is currently stuffed with Cork players, with more coming through next season.

Musgrave Park is a white elephant, which MR should have sold off around 2007 for big bucks. Instead they went with a cheap tart-up and now struggle to get even 4000 to attend low-grade p12 games. Losing Musgrave made sense from a financial perspective, but given this will be coming down the line anyway - as soon as MR can get a sensible buyer - the decision needed to be made to base the team in Cork, in order to maintain some semblance of a duopoly.

The days of Munster Vs South Dublin are over; the days of Limerick Vs South Dublin are about to begin.
It'll be interesting to see the extent of the effect that this has on the Cork-based players. Are guys going to be moving or will commuting still be feasible. They were already travelling for one session a week, if they can get away with two and keep doing the weights sessions in Cork then it may allow some players to remain where they are (for a while, at least), especially if there are some car-pooling arrangements.

It might be wild speculation, but is the timing of this in any way related to O'Gara retiring. He's an influential voice who could have done much to hold up a move to a training base in Limerick.
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Apocrypha wrote:Musgrave Park is a white elephant, which MR should have sold off around 2007 for big bucks. Instead they went with a cheap tart-up and now struggle to get even 4000 to attend low-grade p12 games. Losing Musgrave made sense from a financial perspective, but given this will be coming down the line anyway - as soon as MR can get a sensible buyer - the decision needed to be made to base the team in Cork, in order to maintain some semblance of a duopoly.
I don't know the figures associated with it but there are two clubs in Musgrave park as far as I remember and I'd say there's probably a decent use of the grounds outside of times when required by Munster for provincial purposes. Doubt it's a White Elephant, might cost a few quid but you don't grow a brand by not including the biggest population centre in some way shape or form. I think a trick is missed by not moving the odd larger game to Cork such as an inter-pro or maybe a tour team.

Maybe rugby is a good bit behind GAA in Cork but I don't think those fans are going to a huge amount of games there between Oct-March surely? Munster abandoning rugby in Cork would be as stupid as the GAA abandoning Hurling in Dublin.

On the whole training base thing well plenty of people have to move to reasonable distances of where they work in order to work in their chosen profession and there are plenty of lovely places in North Tip and Clare if imported players don't want to live in Limerick itself.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Well if it means losing that well-healed Cork squire than is A-POX, well then obviously it's a price Munster feel is worth paying! :-)
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Donny B. wrote:Well if it means losing that well-healed Cork squire than is A-POX, well then obviously it's a price Munster feel is worth paying! :-)
Yes but which A-Pox do you loose, there seems to be about 5 different personalities in there.
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Well if it means losing that well-healed Cork squire than is A-POX, well then obviously it's a price Munster feel is worth paying! :-)
Yes but which A-Pox do you loose, there seems to be about 5 different personalities in there.
As long as we lose the one that logs on here, I'll be happy enough.

I'm constantly amazed how he hasn't been banned by the mods considering he's such a blatant WUM with nothing but abuse to offer to both Leinster and Munster fans.
Royston Sole
Knowledgeable

Post by Royston Sole »

StrangeButBlue wrote:
Joking aside it is an interesting shift in the world order at club level, Leinster teams are flourishing in the AIL which makes a difference for the academy players on the teams. Shannon and UL Bohs dropping down a division doesn't help Munster rugby, doesn't help the Munster Academy and doesn't help the timing of the move to Limerick
On the other hand, it gives Quinnie another chance to write one of his "The South shall rise again" chest thumping articles for the IT.
Longtime Turnipfans.com poster who retired when the Munster Girl Guides Association started Moderating.
rookie
Graduate

Post by rookie »

Donny B. wrote:
TerenureJim wrote:
As long as we lose the one that logs on here, I'll be happy enough.

I'm constantly amazed how he hasn't been banned by the mods considering he's such a blatant WUM with nothing but abuse to offer to both Leinster and Munster fans.
That's a bit a rich! Coming from a man who describes people as "Fuckwits" regularly. Get back in your box! :)
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Leave poor Donny alone ill have not said about a fan of the Terenure Inn
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

TerenureJim wrote:Leave poor Donny alone ill have not said about a fan of the Terenure Inn
Don't worry, rookie is my biggest fan!

Can't get enough of me, or my post count, the poor guy!

In fact, he only seems to ever post on here in response to something I've said.

Should be flattered I suppose, but frankly I find it a bit disturbing! :?
simonokeeffe
Jamie Heaslip

Post by simonokeeffe »

I wouldve thought training and admin bases in Cork and matches in Limerick wouldve been an acceptable compromise ceteris paribus, split training and admin bases still a nuisance
TerenureJim wrote:
The Burner wrote:Like it or not, this is the best decision for Munster. Limerick is the home of Munster rugby and everyone knows it. This isnt about what county has more representative. Dublin 4 is the home of Leinster rugby it doesnt mean the majority of their players come from there does it? This is the only logical thing to do and while we are at it we should play all our games in Thomond Park. The attendances in Musgrave are not good enough to make it viable. Munster are losing financially by not properly supporting or marketing games held Musgrave park.
Fixed that for you, despite the "recession" and "communion season" if you can get 1,000's turning out for games in London and Marseilles on a sunny afternoon but can't get a decent crowd to a small satdium after work on a Friday or on a Saturday evening having a few pints watching the rugby near their gaff from the largest population centre in your province for the only professional sports team in the province then there is clearly something wrong with the way you are selling/marketing your product.
if the people sacrificed one away game a year and spent that on season tickets it would be huge financial boost to Munster. You buy season ticket it all goes to the club. You spend it on planes and hotels it doesnt
Retired from babbling. Can be found on twittter @okeeffesimon
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Should I take it as some sort of a complement that Bender B has a hard-on for me?

At least poor ol' Tom of Montferrand sleeps somewhat easier tonight.