Edinburgh QF sales reach 20,000

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Edinburgh QF sales reach 20,000

Post by TrapperChamonix »

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/edin ... -territory

Since qualification, I've believed that the QF could release the potential of the Edinburgh Rugby public in the same was as the 05 QF did for Leinster. 40k might be beyond them, but 30k+ should be achievable. Unfortunately the result for the home team is likely to be the same as it was for us.

Good Luck to them

As an pop quiz, with an English record at 32.5k and a Welsh record of 36.7k, how many times has an Irish team exceeded these numbers?
Answer 4: Lein in 2011, 05 and 03, Munster in 06
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
Sea_point
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Edinburgh QF sales reach 20,000

Post by Sea_point »

Good to see a decent crowd coming out for Edinburgh's big game, critical that they get a big crowd into Murrayfied to give them every chance. If they can rediscover their HEC form, which wwill be a lot easier when their Internationals are back, they have every chance of causing an upset, they were certainly well worth their 1/4 Final place that's for sure...
Only a man who knows what it is like to be defeated can reach down to the bottom of his soul and come up with the extra ounce of power it takes to win when the match is even. Muhammad Ali
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Sensible ticket pricing certainly helps.

Fair play to them.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

TrapperChamonix wrote:http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/edin ... -territory

Since qualification, I've believed that the QF could release the potential of the Edinburgh Rugby public in the same was as the 05 QF did for Leinster. 40k might be beyond them, but 30k+ should be achievable. Unfortunately the result for the home team is likely to be the same as it was for us.

Good Luck to them

As an pop quiz, with an English record at 32.5k and a Welsh record of 36.7k, how many times has an Irish team exceeded these numbers?
What are these English records of which you speak? HEC attendances? Have Saracens and Wasps not had higher attendances when they have played at Wembley and Twickenham respectively?
Four Stars
Hornet
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hornet »

Lar wrote:

Good Luck to them

What are these English records of which you speak? HEC attendances? Have Saracens and Wasps not had higher attendances when they have played at Wembley and Twickenham respectively?
Saracens had over 41K when they played Ospreys in December and nearly 46K when they played us in October 2010. (Both Wembley). Us against Wasps at Twickenham there was over 33K spectators.

(Should add a proviso re the Saracens figures. I would estimate that 50% of the crowd for our game were there for Tiny Tempah. The O's game had some X Factor singer at half time).
"The one thing we learn from History, is that we never learn from History".
totalrandomer
Graduate

Post by totalrandomer »

Hornet wrote:
Lar wrote:

Good Luck to them

Saracens had over 41K when they played Ospreys in December and nearly 46K when they played us in October 2010. (Both Wembley). Us against Wasps at Twickenham there was over 33K spectators.

(Should add a proviso re the Saracens figures. I would estimate that 50% of the crowd for our game were there for Tiny Tempah. The O's game had some X Factor singer at half time).
http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/matchcentre/1757.php

London Irish in Jan 10. And that's 3 pool games involving Leinster ALONE that break the "record"
StrangeButBlue
Enlightened

Post by StrangeButBlue »

Edinburgh are talking about the well known record QF home attendance - It's basically a way of saying "we are bigger than the English" I guess they call that "knowing your market" .
The saracens Wembley gig had a few £5 tickets picked up by kiddie pop fans but half is a bit of an exageration - he played on the half way on the same side as us and their didn't look to be too many interested.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

Post by lineens weegie army »

Now passed 30,000. It's a shame Rangers haven't gone into liquidation yet, or this would have been the most attended sporting fixture in Scotland this weekend - with a crowd larger than even Celtic's SPL clincher.

Sadly, as it is, I suspect Rangers will probably manage to pull in at least a few thousand more

Just make me more gutted Glasgow didn't get their pool :(

EDIT: Link http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/edin ... hits-30000
kermischocolate
Mullet

Post by kermischocolate »

lineens weegie army wrote: Just make me more gutted Glasgow didn't get their pool :(
Yea but chances are after sat their season is basically over (I know, I know, there are two teams playing, the unlikely sometimes happens, underdogs can win etc.).

Glasgow, on the other hand, hasve a lot more to look forward to.

But, seems someone in the sru has finally listened to my pleading for flags at games judging by their latest press hype!

Also, I didn't realise that they could have the UK record for a 1/4 final attendance. That can't be right, surely?
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

kermischocolate wrote:
lineens weegie army wrote: Just make me more gutted Glasgow didn't get their pool :(
Yea but chances are after sat their season is basically over (I know, I know, there are two teams playing, the unlikely sometimes happens, underdogs can win etc.).

Glasgow, on the other hand, hasve a lot more to look forward to.

But, seems someone in the sru has finally listened to my pleading for flags at games judging by their latest press hype!
True - but then I'm sure we could have competed on both fronts far better than Edinburgh have. It's not like Glasgow gave up on the idea of European rugby after the 6 Nations. Not judging by the way we played at home to Leinster!

As for flags - Glasgow have apparently been 'looking into' that since the embarrassment at home to Leinster (if not before). Hopefully we may see something come of that in the future (perhaps if we reach the play-offs?), but given there are undoubtedly more pressing issues for the club over the remainder of the season, I shall perhaps let them off. Hope they get something sorted before the HC games come round next season though!

Also, I didn't realise that they could have the UK record for a 1/4 final attendance. That can't be right, surely?
Not been many big crowds for Quarter-finals in the UK - from memory, only been one in Wales in recent years (Cardiff v Toulouse in 2009 - 36,000, which is the current record), whilst in England; Northampton have used Stadium:MK (22,000), Leicester have used Leicester City's ground (32,000), Gloucester, London Irish, Saracens and Wasps have all used their own grounds (none hold anywhere near 30,000)

The ERC article on the same story lists all the QF crowds of 32,000 or more - you may spot a recurring theme... http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/16320.php

In fact, just checked back to '98, and what more surprising is that there haven't been many big semi-final crowds in the UK either. Ulsters semi-final in 1999 is still the 4th biggest - despite being set 13 years ago!
kermischocolate
Mullet

lineens weegie army wrote:True - but then I'm sure we could have competed on both fronts far better than Edinburgh have. It's not like Glasgow gave up on the idea of European rugby after the 6 Nations. Not judging by the way we played at home to Leinster!
Edinburgh seem to have deliberately focused on the HC this year. There's no doubt Glasgow have competed better in both competitions. My worry is that this may not continue to be the case next season.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

kermischocolate wrote:
lineens weegie army wrote:True - but then I'm sure we could have competed on both fronts far better than Edinburgh have. It's not like Glasgow gave up on the idea of European rugby after the 6 Nations. Not judging by the way we played at home to Leinster!
Edinburgh seem to have deliberately focused on the HC this year. There's no doubt Glasgow have competed better in both competitions. My worry is that this may not continue to be the case next season.
FACT*: Bradley deliberately targeted the HEC this year because of his frustration at never getting into it as Connacht coach. Proving a point to himself (and maybe some at the IRFU). Connacht always seemed to up their game in the Amlin (or whatever the Challenge Cup was called at the time) and yet be relatively poor to awful in the Celtic League.

* well opinion really and I am not really sure about it myself to be honest
Four Stars
kermischocolate
Mullet

Lar wrote:FACT*: Bradley deliberately targeted the HEC this year because of his frustration at never getting into it as Connacht coach. Proving a point to himself (and maybe some at the IRFU). Connacht always seemed to up their game in the Amlin (or whatever the Challenge Cup was called at the time) and yet be relatively poor to awful in the Celtic League.

* well opinion really and I am not really sure about it myself to be honest
Exactly! I'd be well annoyed to be an Edinburgh fan paying good money to watch a team that only deems European games a big enough occasion to play their best games in. If they can raise their performance that much on saturday (even with Toulouse being awful) they could make a bit more of an effort week in, week out.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

There seems to be an entirely negative response to Embra on here. A record Scottish club crowd by some margin and a win against the mighty Toulouse trumps any thing they were likely to achieve in the Pro 12. Let's not forget that Munster initially choose to "de emphasise" the Celtic League both in terms on performance and crowds. So well done Embra.

I'll leave with a question, if we use the laws of conkers where the victor claims the record of the vanquished, Should Embra now refer to themselves as Les Rouge eg Noir?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
berniemac67
Mullet

Post by berniemac67 »

TrapperChamonix wrote:There seems to be an entirely negative response to Embra on here. A record Scottish club crowd by some margin and a win against the mighty Toulouse trumps any thing they were likely to achieve in the Pro 12. Let's not forget that Munster initially choose to "de emphasise" the Celtic League both in terms on performance and crowds. So well done Embra.

I'll leave with a question, if we use the laws of conkers where the victor claims the record of the vanquished, Should Embra now refer to themselves as Les Rouge eg Noir?

did munster de-emphasise it to the point of not even bothering?

one good run in the hec won't make them a rugby power, ask northampton. it makes me laugh reading beattie on the bbc website crack on about some rejuvenation of scottish rugby and the possibility of large crowds. won't happen. they will lose against ulster and it will be a long time before they are troubling a hec qf again.

as for the more achievable goal of a decent pro12 ranking, well embra last night were awful. i would suggest that their true ability lies somewhere closer to last night than to last weekend.
Declan Kidney is a incompetent, inept, provincially biased rugby dinosaur who is unfit to coach the Irish team.

(c) 2012 Dave Cahill
lineens weegie army
Bookworm

berniemac67 wrote:
TrapperChamonix wrote:There seems to be an entirely negative response to Embra on here. A record Scottish club crowd by some margin and a win against the mighty Toulouse trumps any thing they were likely to achieve in the Pro 12. Let's not forget that Munster initially choose to "de emphasise" the Celtic League both in terms on performance and crowds. So well done Embra.

one good run in the hec won't make them a rugby power, ask northampton. it makes me laugh reading beattie on the bbc website crack on about some rejuvenation of scottish rugby and the possibility of large crowds. won't happen. they will lose against ulster and it will be a long time before they are troubling a hec qf again.

as for the more achievable goal of a decent pro12 ranking, well embra last night were awful. i would suggest that their true ability lies somewhere closer to last night than to last weekend.
Yep - they have been seriously lucky in the HC this season; drawing an average french team who couldn't give a feck about the HC, a cr@p English side, and Cardiff! If they had been drawn against Leinster and Montpellier they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the QF's! And even then they made hard work of it - they were a fluffed drop goal away from conceding 50 points - and loosing 50-48 - at home to Racing, and did trail Racing by 20 something points at one point.

And then the quarter final... Toulouse were awful! That's why they won - nothing to do with Edinburgh being good. It's easy to win when your opponents don't both turning up. They are in danger of getting absolutely hammered at the Aviva!

As for the record crowd. Well done to them on that - however of the 30,000 or so casual supporters there, none are likely to return any time soon, and after nights like last night it's easy to see why!
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

I am not down on Edinburgh at all. I think reaching the HEC semis is a fantastic achievement for them and who knows they may not be done yet. The question is whether they build on it or it's a one season wonder. My observation on Bradley having form was tongue in cheek, but only slightly.
Four Stars
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

lineens weegie army wrote:
berniemac67 wrote:

Yep - they have been seriously lucky in the HC this season; drawing an average french team who couldn't give a feck about the HC, a cr@p English side, and Cardiff! If they had been drawn against Leinster and Montpellier they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the QF's! And even then they made hard work of it - they were a fluffed drop goal away from conceding 50 points - and loosing 50-48 - at home to Racing, and did trail Racing by 20 something points at one point.

And then the quarter final... Toulouse were awful! That's why they won - nothing to do with Edinburgh being good. It's easy to win when your opponents don't both turning up. They are in danger of getting absolutely hammered at the Aviva!

As for the record crowd. Well done to them on that - however of the 30,000 or so casual supporters there, none are likely to return any time soon, and after nights like last night it's easy to see why!
LWA, to take your points
Average French Team................. us Leinster Fans were delighted to beat Racing last year and viewed them as real threats. To win anywhere in France is an achievement.
cr@p English Team.;.......................I seem to remember them beating us in our 1st game as HCup winners in Oct 2009. But irrespective of how cr@p the group was, it was Edinburgh who grabbed the opportunity and came out on top. All 3 other team had the same opportunity but didn't grab it. The beauty of this competition is that it does throw up a Group of Death and what ever the opposite is and therefore gives everyone a chance.
Toulouse were Awful;.......................A come on! Toulouse have often been flaky on the road it still doesn't diminish the achievement. Was it last year they were beaten by Wasps and they were truly awful, but no one said that achievement was diminished. If you play Toulouse you pray they don't turn up.

As for "did munster de-emphasise it to the point of not even bothering?", the answer is yes. They talked about it openly.

I don't doubt the problems with Edinburgh or suggest that this is a turn around moment, but I was suggesting that winning a 1st QF in Scotland drawing a crowd of over 30,000 seemed like good news. Maybe I was wrong.