Against the Head

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Mauler
Seán Cronin

Against the Head

Post by Mauler »

What a load of b*%&!cks of a show. RTE go to the trouble of getting S Horgan, A Quinlan & F Sheehan on the panal, to discuss rugby for an hour, yet the lads got to talk for about 8 minutes because of highlights of AIL, U20s, a review of the opening two rounds of the 6N and last weeks Pro12 games.

Compared to the 90mins that the Breakdown has weekly, when they still show highlights from games, but they are not afraid to have a discussion and spend some time actually talking about a topic in depth, rather than Joanne Cantwell trying to shoehorn in every topic on her clipboard.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
jordanracer
Knowledgeable

Re: Against the Head

Post by jordanracer »

It is the usual RTE thing.. jobs for everyone of our overstaffed boys (and girls)

It is not just that Cantwelll has to shoehorn every question on the clipboard, she has been shoehorned in to cover a subject she is ignorant about.

She knows nothing about rugby and cannot have a free flowing discussion because she would very quickly be way out of her depth.

Matt Williams and Franno, whether we agree with them or not, at least have an understanding of the game and can indulge in a free flowing conversation because of that.

May be this should be in the rant thread,,,, sorry
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

jordanracer wrote:It is the usual RTE thing.. jobs for everyone of our overstaffed boys (and girls)

It is not just that Cantwelll has to shoehorn every question on the clipboard, she has been shoehorned in to cover a subject she is ignorant about.

She knows nothing about rugby and cannot have a free flowing discussion because she would very quickly be way out of her depth.

Matt Williams and Franno, whether we agree with them or not, at least have an understanding of the game and can indulge in a free flowing conversation because of that.

May be this should be in the rant thread,,,, sorry
Leave Joanne alone. She truely is one of Father Ted's 'Lovely Girls'! A lack of rugby knowledge has never held back Francis (the Coward), Hook (the Fool) or McGurk (the Comatose).

She's far better than those other 'Foundation Freaks' who seem to permeate RTE & TV3...
TerenureJim
Shane Jennings

Post by TerenureJim »

Plus one on the rubbish that is Against The Head, for a magazine show they'd do well to take a look at the breakdown or Sky's Rugby Club which allow actual discussion of issues around the sport. Not a single mention of the impending Super Rugby season was there? Anything at all on the NIQ debate? Anything much on players comming or going (aside from a mention when discussing the weeks old Brian McLaughlin story). The mist insightful debate was a question thrown out there by Joanne regarding Munster players putting hands up for selection by hammering an understrength Terviso? and even Frankie Sheehan laughed that suggestion off.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

I've a soft spot for Joanne.

Now there, said it.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Leinster Exile
Mullet

Post by Leinster Exile »

Mackman15 wrote:I've a soft spot for Joanne.

Now there, said it.
She'll be disappointed to hear you've a soft spot
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I think the set-up of it is pretty uneven.

I'm not in love with a bunch of ex-players commenting on everything ... as bright as they are, they're all coming from the same profession and, having all played exclusively for Irish provinces, a very similar background.

On the other hand, I think the Matty/Franno dynamic would be great improved by having one of Quinlan/Horgan/Dave Wallace on board. The coach/ex-player/journalist set-up gives you three different perspectives, and at least one person who doesn't have to worry about stepping on anybody's toes
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Judging by the complaints about him on this and other MB's over the years I don't think Franno has ever worried about stepping on anybody's toes. He gave Frankie Sheahan a very hard time about his asthma medicine blunder and he drove Hook out of the Sunday Indo in high dudgeon and was he the one who coned the term, "Lady Boys" for the Leinster team?
ad nauseam
Knowledgeable

Post by ad nauseam »

JohnB wrote:Was he the one who coned the term, "Lady Boys" for the Leinster team?
He was indeed. With friends/former players like Franno, who needs enemies?
To the bitter and twisted, nothing is ever good enough.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

ad nauseam wrote:
JohnB wrote:Was he the one who coned the term, "Lady Boys" for the Leinster team?
But his heart was in the right place.

I don't think having fans with typewriters does any good to anyone ... oh wait ... Niall Kiely's ahem pre 2009 H Cup Semi Final piece in the Irish Times comes to mind, except perhaps for the oppo, when they put it up on the dressing room wall!!!
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Mauler wrote:
ad nauseam wrote:
But his heart was in the right place.
What heart?
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Franno was honest. We were a shambles back then. He called it as he saw it.

Franno now giving credit where it's due and criticising us when we get it wrong. Fair dues to him
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
ad nauseam
Knowledgeable

Post by ad nauseam »

Darce wrote:Franno was honest. We were a shambles back then. He called it as he saw it.

Franno now giving credit where it's due and criticising us when we get it wrong. Fair dues to him
I've no problem with Francis calling it as he sees it, it's the manner in which he did it which I objected (and still object) to. It's possible to be constructively critical without resorting to childish name calling. I also believe, perhaps naively, that one should expect better from a former player.
To the bitter and twisted, nothing is ever good enough.
mikerob
Mullet

Post by mikerob »

I watched the show for the first time this week (I'm in the UK and RTE block it unless you spoof your IP address) and while it is good to get all the highlights, I wasn't impressed by the panelists.

Horgan was the best but I thought Quinlan and Sheehan just waffled. Particularly on the Ulster coach discussion, I think they didn't have a clue what is going on so started rambling on about "player power". I wonder if that will come up next week about the Munster coach?