Munster Thread 2011-2012

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Oldschool
Cian Healy

Re: Munster Thread 2011-2012

Post by Oldschool »

jezzer wrote:
CiaranIrl- Oldschool wrote:
hugonaut wrote: Oldschool's comment "move him on" is absolute madness. Madness!

Ruddock has been labouring through the last third of the season with a hip complaint that required surgery, and carried a big weight as a 20-year old captain in the first third. He put in a really good shift for Leinster this year: 21 games [14 starts] as a 20/21 year old in a position where we've already got two internationals in Sean O'Brien and Kev McLaughlin. How many games had either of those lads played for Leinster when they were the same age as Ruddock is now? 0 and 0. Ruddock has played 41.

Just like Tadhg Furlong, Ruddock was born 6 weeks away from the turn of the year [both players born in mid-November]: being born those six weeks later would have put them in contention for three straight seasons for the Irish U20s, because they were both well able to hold up their end as 18 year olds in the respective 2011 Junior World Championships [Furlong] and 2009 U20 Six Nations [Ruddock].

I'm delighted that he signed on for another two years, and I'm very confident that he'll continue to improve. There are still a number of parts to his game that need work, but you could say that about any 21 year old.
Glad he does it for you, because he ain't doing it for me. My point is that the improvement trend has slowed.

Would you have turfed out Sean O'Brien at age 20 then, because he wasn't even good enough to get his game for Leinster? At least Ruddock is ahead of him at the same development stage.
My issue with Ruddock is that he carries the ball very soft. Whatever about him being upright, he is always dominated in the contact area, even against smaller guys. Very easy to bring down. He's a very good tackler technically, but similarly doesn't dominate with his hits.

He's young, true. But he's also a bigger unit than most guys of his age. He hasn't earned the profile he's enjoyed in Leinster, imo, but I'd still want to develop him because the power may come, as with big Dev. Also because, unlike many, I'm not 100% sold on Ryan yet. He's a classic tweener and master of none, as yet.
Strangely enough Jezzer, that just about sums up my own thinking on both players. Time will tell, however I think Ryan is the more likely of the two to develop his potential.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
sarah_lennon
Jamie Heaslip

Post by sarah_lennon »

Niall O'Donovan Appointed Team Manager
12 June 2012, 1:02 pmBy The Editor
Munster announced today the appointment of Niall O'Donovan as their Team Manager and will take over the role from Shaun Payne who returns home to South Africa.
O'Donovan was assistant coach with Munster up until the end of the 2001/02 season before moving on to the role of Forwards Coach with the Ireland Senior squad.
In more recent times he has acted as Team Manager and Forwards Coach to the Munster British & Irish Cup squad who contested the inugural final and won the title recently with victory over Cross Keys.

Commenting on the appointment, Munster CEO Garrett Fitzgerald said "we are delighted that Niall has agreed to take over the role of Team Manager. Niall has had a long assocition with Munster Rugby and having acted as forwards coach in the past and more recently as Munster 'A' Team Manager he brings a wealth of experience that can only enhance the newly appointed coaching structure".

The Shannon clubman takes up the role on July 1st on a two year contract.
Ici, ici, c'est Dublin 4
ruck
Rhys Ruddock

Post by ruck »

More jobs for the boys. Apocrypha will be delighted.
I am the one who knocks!
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Muster Rugby are a fcuking disgrace run by clowns. Figures released at the AGM state that we're now £1million in debt for 11/12, and this includes a year in which we had a home HEC QF, while making no repayments on our £10.2million IRFU Loan on the TP redevelopment. Carrott Schitz is leading us on the road to ruin. Instead of blaming Saracens and Racing Metro for having a proper investement strategy, why doesn't he sort out his own house. The man has destroyed Munster and should be removed from office before he leads us into liquidation a la Rangers.

Good to see NOD back on board the Ship of Fools. Where's Gaillimh when you need him to break out the booze on company expenses?
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

ruck wrote:More jobs for the boys. Apocrypha will be delighted.
They never really have to go far afield for their apprenticeships, do they?
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Stuka
Knowledgeable

Post by Stuka »

It would be quite astonishing to see Munster really get into real financial difficulty. They are a huge "brand" and must have a larger turn over then us or Ulster. Where has all the money gone? It also makes me worry about or financials....... are we in a position to be smug about or simpleton country cousin's situation?
lummix
Graduate

Post by lummix »

How can munster be losing 1million a year, is this after the irfu grants etc. Would love to see a comparison between what Leinster and munster bring in and spend. Bet loads of the clowns who should have been put out to pasture are pulling big money (horan) etc. I'll tell you this there not getting much bang for their buck
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

lummix wrote:How can munster be losing 1million a year, is this after the irfu grants etc. Would love to see a comparison between what Leinster and munster bring in and spend. Bet loads of the clowns who should have been put out to pasture are pulling big money (horan) etc. I'll tell you this there not getting much bang for their buck
It's the influence of the clubs.Munster got away with it for a while but their poor treatment of the MRSC season ticket holders came back to bite them when they needed to rely on their loyalty.

Two stadiums, two training bases, huge total squad and all sorts of hangers on. Because they built boxes, Munster were very dependent on corporate income and that's taken a hit, especially because they're in competition with their own clubs.
tones
Shane Jennings

Post by tones »

Surely the Brave and the Faithful will be turning out in their droves like in the south of France to keep money coming in???
Munster, in alot of ways, got so far ahead of itself its ridiculous. Poor management accounting from themselves and the IRFU allowed this to happen. Repayments on a stadium redevelopment they will struggle to fill will haunt them for a while. How are they managing the payments for Musgrave park? Is there more redevelopments for Musgrave planned?
"Munster could join the French League, or an expanded English / British league."
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

tones wrote:Is there more redevelopments for Musgrave planned?
On hold indefinitely.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Stuka wrote:It would be quite astonishing to see Munster really get into real financial difficulty. They are a huge "brand" and must have a larger turn over then us or Ulster. Where has all the money gone?
Munster aren't a big brand because they never nurtured or developed it. Like Apple, they found out to their cost that some guys are best suited to selling "sugar water".
I have Bumbleflex
bgclaw
Bookworm

Post by bgclaw »

CJ Stander Blue Bulls backrow signs 2 year contract munster.Project player.

:happy clapper:
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

Let's hope he works out better than Borlase or Manning.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

super signing, i don't agree that ireland need a project backrow player, but i'm excited by this signing
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Donny B. wrote:Let's hope he works out better than Borlase or Manning.
This country hasn't had the greatest of success with CJ's
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
ellandleinster
Enlightened

Post by ellandleinster »

bgclaw wrote:CJ Stander Blue Bulls backrow signs 2 year contract munster.Project player.

:happy clapper:
Looks a good signing.

Would have thought it would be a 3 year contract if he's a project player
ratpack
Mullet

Post by ratpack »

This guy will never play for Ireland, he's a "Project" player in name only just so Munster can fill a need in their squad. The two year deal is an indication of this.

Crackin' signing though.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its three years to qualify alright, but this gives both sides an early out if things don't work out along that route.
I have Bumbleflex
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ratpack wrote:This guy will never play for Ireland, he's a "Project" player in name only just so Munster can fill a need in their squad. The two year deal is an indication of this.

Crackin' signing though.
Two years is what project players get, Strauss for example got two years initially
I have Bumbleflex
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Dave Cahill wrote:
ratpack wrote:This guy will never play for Ireland, he's a "Project" player in name only just so Munster can fill a need in their squad. The two year deal is an indication of this.

Crackin' signing though.
Two years is what project players get, Strauss for example got two years initially
Sykes had a three year deal, surely? And Jared Payne up in Ulster too?
Last edited by hugonaut on June 21st, 2012, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.