Munster Thread 2011-2012

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

nelly the elephant
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Munster Thread 2011-2012

Post by nelly the elephant »

ruck wrote::( it had to happen eventually.
One of Ireland's best ever players (that I've seen at least). An absolute physical freak of nature.
Very sad to see him go. One of my favourites.
What he said..........phenomenal physical specimin and smart,skilful player, quite unfortunate with injuries.....a real quality player.
What a family eh, 3 lions in different positions.... :clap:
We all dream of a team of Sean O'Briens......
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wally :(

One of my favourite players and he'll be sadly missed. Such a pity it ends this way for him. He looked in great shape in the (admittedly it was very brief) game against England and was brilliant in the 6N last year too. For a guy in his position to still be going so strong was just incredible, he's a freak.

Why is he retiring? Did the injury just never heal properly? Was hoping he'd have one last season.
Darce
Shane Jennings
Location: Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front HQ, South West Dublin Brigade, D24 Unit

Post by Darce »

Damn you, Tuilagi!!!
"I don't do desserts"

Gary Brown Fundamentalist Supporters' Front
The Front Lives on
22dropout
Bookworm

Post by 22dropout »

Wallce - My favourtie munster player of the professional era. Absolutely top class player, Deceptively fast, and had amazing power.

When Munster had the edge over us a few years ago it was this guy who hurt us the most.

Mick O'Drisocll, Hayes, Wallace, Flannery - The baton is being passed to the next generation right now.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

The image I have of him is the way he used to receive the ball from a kick off and then run through/around the opposition as if he was playing an u-14s match.
He was an unbelievably good defender and had great smarts as well but it's his physical attributes that will live long in the memory.
FrankBurke
Mullet

Post by FrankBurke »

Have Munster signed an open-side McDougall(?) formerly Ulster & now with Rotherham?

Good luck and many thanks to David Wallace. A class act.

Tuilangi did a lot of damage & got away with it.
Mauler
Seán Cronin

Post by Mauler »

Very sad news to hear alright. He was a fine player for Munster, Ireland and The Lions. As was said above, remarkable family for 3 brothers to have toured with the Lions. He will be missed in both Red & Green.
'VJ Singh hits more balls than Elton John's chin' - David Feherty
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Wow, that's a surprise. I thought he had another season in him.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ruck wrote::( it had to happen eventually.
One of Ireland's best ever players (that I've seen at least). An absolute physical freak of nature.
Very sad to see him go. One of my favourites.
Same as that.

Heard he was done when I was down for the game in Thomond from some Munster heavy hitters. I was surprised when he tried to make a comeback.

Even as "An absolute physical freak of nature" he was knocking on and was always going to struggle to regain form and fitness at his age.

An alltime great player in red and green and a thoroughly decent bloke as well.
Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Hippo »

Really sorry to hear this, fantastic player and a genuinely feared opponent. A major loss for the Irish game.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
malore
Beginner

Post by malore »

Total Gent and one of our best players of the professional era. Very sad to see him go.

Good luck with everything in the future Wally. :clap:
colster
Knowledgeable

Post by colster »

That's a real shame. He was a great player.
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Wish someone had started this as a separate thread - if anyone deserves their own tribute thread it's Wally.

Always sad to see a great player's career coming to an end but, as with Shaggy, it's so much more sad when the end is injury enforced. Farewell Wally.
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

What a great! Best of luck in the future to him.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Wally was an absolutely brilliant player – definitely my favourite Munster player of the last decade. The guy was all class on the pitch – brilliant athlete, brilliant competitor, brilliant rugby player and a real gent. Sorry to see him go out with an injury, but he's had a hell of a career and was still playing good rugby at 35 years old. You can't ask for too much more than that.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Wally was a brilliant player, a proper ball carrier and a teak tough defender. Handy at the tail of the line out too. He also tended to be given a lot of latitude by refs which is a handy attribute for a 7. He should have won far more caps but was mysteriously stymied for years by the myopic EOS. I often wonder how his career would have turned out had he been left at No.8 instead of the one dimensional Leamy.
Comer Toes
Graduate

Post by Comer Toes »

Wally was a genuine world class back-row. It all seemed fairly effortless to him. Don't think he ever even grimaced - he just had this non-plussed expression on his face when he was ploughing through the tackles. I remember a former irish speed coach telling me he was the quickest player in the Irish squad over 3 of the 5 distances that they regularly tracked (this was about 4 years ago).

He had a sensational carry in the England game in Twickenham a few year back (when shaggy won it in the corner), where he must have made 50 metres breaking 4 or 5 tackles, wonder if it is youtubed at all?
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

My favourite player of all time bar none.

Disappointing as it was to see the likes of Fla go, this is much sadder to me. Such an athlete and such a gentleman too. Quietly went around the field busting tackles and making it all look so easy. Irreplaceable.
We're all red on the inside.
Munsterboy
Mullet

Post by Munsterboy »

Also a shame we'll never see Seanie, One F and Wally playing in a back row together. Not the most balanced combination but would have been fun to watch those three freaks going to work!
We're all red on the inside.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Munsterboy wrote:Also a shame we'll never see Seanie, One F and Wally playing in a back row together. Not the most balanced combination but would have been fun to watch those three freaks going to work!
Had Wallace not got injured just before the World Cup I don't doubt that we would in fact have seen that. He had hit flying form before that injury which eventually ended his career. Still, what a career he had.