Munster Thread 2011-2012

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Thread 2011-2012

Post by munster#1 »

hugonaut wrote:
munster#1 wrote: I agree, but i also think we are not far from a great performance. Which might not come with the 6n around the corner.

I also think it is worth mentioning that munster went out in the group stages for the first time since 98 last season, but managed to be the first team to qualify for a qf this season. All while rebuilding and suffering from many injuries. So credit where it is due, fair play munster
Agree on the second point - very good accomplishment.

Disagree on the first point. I can't see anything to suggest that a big improvement or a big performance is around the corner. That was a weak Castres team, and Munster only managed two tries against them at home. They've only scored five tries in their three home games, which is pretty ordinary stuff.
Turns out you were wrong hugo. The passes that have been dropped over the last few weeks went to hand, which resulted in a 5 try performance. As i said before, munster have looked dangerous going forward, they have made a fair few breaks only for the basics to let them down. If we can work on those little things then we have the ability to play like that every game.

With jones, wally and sherry back for the knock outs we will be stronger. I would also like to see a big signing in the next couple of weeks, the financial boost of a home quarter and possibly semi should more than cover it.

I fancy our chances against ulster if we don't get too badly hit by injuries in the mean time.

I hear the gaelic grounds is being looked at for a possible ground for the semi, which would be a big asset to munster.

Great result for munster, when you consider last season along with the massive change in squad over the last few months, lots of people predicted a long rebuilding process. I doubt anyone predicted what has happend
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

munster#1 wrote:
I hear the gaelic grounds is being looked at for a possible ground for the semi, which would be a big asset to munster.

The semi featuring Ulster or Munster will be played at the Aviva.

Indeed if they thought they'd get away with it, Munster Rugby would play the quarter there too, money is such a seductive mistress these days. They wouldn't get away with it though.
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Dave Cahill wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

Indeed if they thought they'd get away with it, Munster Rugby would play the quarter there too, money is such a seductive mistress these days. They wouldn't get away with it though.
Very big statement by you, but very little behind it.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

The IRFU and not the MB get the gate receipts for the HEC-Semis, and I just cannot see Mick Kearney of the Lansdowne F.C. Mafia allowing the game to be played anywhere outside his own backyard... :wink:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

munster#1 wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

Very big statement by you, but very little behind it.
As opposed to the wealth of documentary evidence you provided for the nigh on annual gaelic grounds canard?

But if you want to believe that Munster Rugby haven't looked at a venue that will provide 1.5 million euro in match day revenue alone, without taking into account the ERC bonus for moving the game to a larger stadium, or the other commercial opportunities that the Aviva provides, then you must think they're awful eejits. It won't happen, but it will most certainly be examined.

The semi final will be played in the Aviva.
I have Bumbleflex
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Dave Cahill wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

You hear wrong.
It will be played in the Capital & Dublin's economy will benefit from an additional 50,000 plus supporters who will flow in and pump 20million+ into the local economy
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Golf Man
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Golf Man »

Dave Cahill wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

QF will be at Thomond and always was going to be - it was moved before (in 2006) before the redvelopment of Thomond. Possible semi final in Gaelic Grounds will not happen, simple as

So Dave you are wrong but Munster#1 - you are far more wrong

Also Scott - vast majority of that 50,000 (whether its Ulster or Munster) will go up and down in a day - biggest benefactors will be petrol stations on the Cork/Limerick/Belfast road - the days of thousands staying up (like say 2004 or 2006 in particular) is gone
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

Scott wrote:

You hear wrong.
It will be played in Skanger City, whose economy will benefit from an additional 50,000 plus supporters who will be mugged, viciously assaulted and possibly murdered
Fixed that for you... :lol:
Apocrypha
Graduate

Post by Apocrypha »

DP... :idea: :arrow: :(
Broken Wing
Shane Jennings

Post by Broken Wing »

Scott wrote:It will be played in the Capital & Dublin's economy will benefit from an additional 50,000 plus supporters who will flow in and pump 20million+ into the local economy
Can't see Ulster and Edinburgh bringing that many to be honest.
Champions of Europe 09, 11 & 12!
Pro 12 and Challenge Cup Champions 13!
Pro 12 Champions 14!
Magners League Champions 08!
Best supported in the Magners League 08 & 11!
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Broken Wing wrote:
Scott wrote:It will be played in the Capital & Dublin's economy will benefit from an additional 50,000 plus supporters who will flow in and pump 20million+ into the local economy
Can't see Ulster and Edinburgh bringing that many to be honest.
I was at the final when Ulster won it in 1999 against Columiers (I think it was something like that). The place was awash with red.
Ulster will emigrate for a SF in Dublin.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

munster#1 wrote:
hugonaut wrote:
munster#1 wrote: I agree, but i also think we are not far from a great performance. Which might not come with the 6n around the corner.

I also think it is worth mentioning that munster went out in the group stages for the first time since 98 last season, but managed to be the first team to qualify for a qf this season. All while rebuilding and suffering from many injuries. So credit where it is due, fair play munster
Agree on the second point - very good accomplishment.

Disagree on the first point. I can't see anything to suggest that a big improvement or a big performance is around the corner. That was a weak Castres team, and Munster only managed two tries against them at home. They've only scored five tries in their three home games, which is pretty ordinary stuff.
Turns out you were wrong hugo. The passes that have been dropped over the last few weeks went to hand, which resulted in a 5 try performance. As i said before, munster have looked dangerous going forward, they have made a fair few breaks only for the basics to let them down. If we can work on those little things then we have the ability to play like that every game.

With jones, wally and sherry back for the knock outs we will be stronger. I would also like to see a big signing in the next couple of weeks, the financial boost of a home quarter and possibly semi should more than cover it.

I fancy our chances against ulster if we don't get too badly hit by injuries in the mean time.

Great result for munster, when you consider last season along with the massive change in squad over the last few months, lots of people predicted a long rebuilding process. I doubt anyone predicted what has happend
I was indeed wrong! Hold my hands up to that one, didn't see it coming at all.

On the other hand, I think you've gone too far the other side with the 'we have the ability to play like that every game' chat! Let me read you your horoscope: you're not going to play like that every game. Munster, Leinster and Ulster have all had huge one-off performances in the HEC against English clubs this year: us against Bath in December [52-17], Ulster vs Leicester in January [41-7] and now Munster vs Northampton [51-36] ... with a mixed cup and league campaign and international breaks, it's unfortunately impossible to carry through momentum satisfactorily.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
. Munster, Leinster and Ulster have all had huge one-off performances in the HEC against English clubs this year: us against Bath in December [52-17], Ulster vs Leicester in January [41-7] and now Munster vs Northampton [51-36] ... with a mixed cup and league campaign and international breaks, it's unfortunately impossible to carry through momentum satisfactorily.
That's worth repeating.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

hugo i said munster have the ability to play like that every game, hardly the same as saying that we will play like that every game. Imo munster have a good chance of pushing on from here and are in with a very good shot of making the final.

That munster team is very new and is missing a few players, so with time they can get better with games.

I am a glass is half full type, so imo munster are only one big signing and the return of a few players from being a very good side
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Golf Man wrote:
Dave Cahill wrote:
munster#1 wrote:

QF will be at Thomond and always was going to be - it was moved before (in 2006) before the redvelopment of Thomond. Possible semi final in Gaelic Grounds will not happen, simple as

So Dave you are wrong but Munster#1 - you are far more wrong

Also Scott - vast majority of that 50,000 (whether its Ulster or Munster) will go up and down in a day - biggest benefactors will be petrol stations on the Cork/Limerick/Belfast road - the days of thousands staying up (like say 2004 or 2006 in particular) is gone
I am not wrong, the gaelic grounds is being looked at as a possibility.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

But Dave is right, a QF in Aviva would sellout and make a lot more money for Munster. We all know that won't happen though.

Lansdowne Road will be booked regardless of whether Ulster or Munster win.
Turnip Boy
Knowledgeable

Post by Turnip Boy »

Apocrypha wrote:The IRFU and not the MB get the gate receipts for the HEC-Semis, and I just cannot see Mick Kearney of the Lansdowne F.C. Mafia allowing the game to be played anywhere outside his own backyard... :wink:

the ERC get the gate receipts for the semi finals not the IRFU - the IRFU would get money through renting the Aviva to the ERC.

The IRFU also take a very decent cut of the gate receipts from each province for the QF's and Leinster will also be charged rent for using the Aviva.
“It was a very simple gameplan, not the type of gameplan that would work for the Wallabies. I think it’d be too restrictive on the talent we have.” - Rocky on Leinster's style of rugby.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

munster#1 wrote:hugo i said munster have the ability to play like that every game, hardly the same as saying that we will play like that every game. Imo munster have a good chance of pushing on from here and are in with a very good shot of making the final.

That munster team is very new and is missing a few players, so with time they can get better with games.

I am a glass is half full type, so imo munster are only one big signing and the return of a few players from being a very good side
No offense chief, but why bother saying anything at all then? Seriously?

Every team, in theory, has the 'ability to play like [their best performance of the season] in every game'. It's a next-to meaningless statement. They don't go out and do it.
Lar
Mullet

Post by Lar »

Apocrypha wrote:
Scott wrote:

You hear wrong.
It will be played in Skanger City, whose economy will benefit from an additional 50,000 plus supporters who will be mugged, viciously assaulted and possibly murdered
Fixed that for you... :lol:
Apocrypha, how many times do you have to be told that the semi-final will not be played in Limerick....
Four Stars
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:
munster#1 wrote:hugo i said munster have the ability to play like that every game, hardly the same as saying that we will play like that every game. Imo munster have a good chance of pushing on from here and are in with a very good shot of making the final.

No offense chief, but why bother saying anything at all then? Seriously?

Every team, in theory, has the 'ability to play like [their best performance of the season] in every game'. It's a next-to meaningless statement. They don't go out and do it.
but, but, but,... it sounds positive. He wouldn't call himself Munster's number 1 (fan) if he didn't get caught in the moment.