Munster Thread 2010/2011

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Thread 2010/2011

Post by munster#1 »

Very good result for Munster, wasn't sure we would get that with a largely second string team.
Unlike Hugo I wouldn't consider Horan, Hayes, nagle, Murray, Ryan, Jones, along with Warwick and mafi out of position a largely 1st choice team.

Munster's squad has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months, so credit where it is due
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
combatlogo
Rhys Ruddock

Post by combatlogo »

hugonaut wrote:

I have to say though that Garces' reffing of the breakdown – and Garces is a ref I generally like – was as bad a performance from a ref in a particular aspect of a game as I've seen this season. Players from both sides were refusing to roll away from the ball as tacklers, guys who had tackled weren't breaking off contact before going straight in, people were playing the ball on the ground like crazy, handling in the rucks, coming in at the sides ... it was a free for all.
Spot on, it was absoloute carnage.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

munster#1 wrote:Very good result for Munster, wasn't sure we would get that with a largely second string team.
It was in its arse :lol:
Last edited by Danthefan on April 24th, 2011, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Danthefan wrote:
munster#1 wrote:Very good result for Munster, wasn't sure we would get that with a largely second string team.
I was in its arse :lol:
Horrifying image.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Unlike Hugo I wouldn't consider Horan, Hayes, nagle, Murray, Ryan, Jones, along with Warwick and mafi out of position a largely 1st choice team.

Munster's squad has come on leaps and bounds in the last few months, so credit where it is due
Welcome back from your 2 month break! What were you doing? 2 months?

Drove past Limerick jail on the way to Thomond. :lol:
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Fair enough, maybe you'd consider it a second string team. A lot of the same faces that played against Brive and Leinster though – 10 of that team started against Brive and 11 against Leinster, which I presume would be considered high importance matches.

And again, while Horan and Hayes may be yesterday's men, the so-called "first choice" props were the ones who actually conceded the penalty try for being minced half a dozen times in the scrum.

Still an excellent result for Munster, who are on the crest of a wave at the moment.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

hugonaut wrote: Still an excellent result for Munster, who are on the crest of a wave at the moment.
Absolutely! Be great to bring both European trophies to Ireland, and then have a Magners showdown between the champions.
downsouthdukin
Mullet

Post by downsouthdukin »

fourthirtythree wrote:
Danthefan wrote:
I was in its arse :lol:
Horrifying image.
:lol: :happy clapper:
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

hugonaut wrote:

Fair enough, maybe you'd consider it a second string team. A lot of the same faces that played against Brive and Leinster though – 10 of that team started against Brive and 11 against Leinster, which I presume would be considered high importance matches.

And again, while Horan and Hayes may be yesterday's men, the so-called "first choice" props were the ones who actually conceded the penalty try for being minced half a dozen times in the scrum.

Still an excellent result for Munster, who are on the crest of a wave at the moment.
As you say, the top props were used off the bench and the guys who started are senior members of the team. In terms of picking a weakened team I could see Nagle instead of Mick O'Driscoll, I could see Leamy not being there at all (though it's only arguably a weaker team) and I could see Tuitupou, also an arguable selection.

Other changes are generally more reflective of a change in the form selection choice. That was a strong Munster side.
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

downsouthdukin wrote:
fourthirtythree wrote:
Horrifying image.
:lol: :happy clapper:
:lol: :oops:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Fair enough lads, I will continue to judge 1st choice players based on games of merit they have started, which would lead me to believe that a fair few 1st team players were injured, not selected or played out of position.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Good man! nice to see that 2 months "inside" hasn't changed you. :)
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

It was a mixed team but take the scrums out of it and Munster would have won by about 15pts.

I'd consider Murray to be first choice now. He's Munster best 9. Nagle needs to put on some more weight still. Hayes is still battling away but his body can't take it anymore. Donnacha Ryan played well at 6 and with a few more games there could nail down the position. Varley looks more comfortable throwing with Ryan at 6.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

dropkick wrote:It was a mixed team but take the scrums out of it and Munster would have won by about 15pts.

I'd consider Murray to be first choice now. He's Munster best 9. Nagle needs to put on some more weight still. Hayes is still battling away but his body can't take it anymore. Donnacha Ryan played well at 6 and with a few more games there could nail down the position. Varley looks more comfortable throwing with Ryan at 6.
Horan is gone too. He was taken to the cleaners by Adam Jones.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

See GT is mentioning Horan, saying he is ahead of Brett Wilkinson. Horan needs climb back under whatever rock he came from. He's GONE!! Horan and Hayes together is an embarrassment at this stage.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Isaac4leinster wrote:See GT is mentioning Horan, saying he is ahead of Brett Wilkinson. Horan needs climb back under whatever rock he came from. He's GONE!! Horan and Hayes together is an embarrassment at this stage.
Page filling, i would have thought. (Hope)
The preface to that section was how thin on the ground we are at Prop. Perhaps GT felt he need to illustrate that fully.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

"Ospreys back-row forward Jerry Collins has been cited following his side's 22-20 Magners League defeat by Munster at the Liberty Stadium on Saturday.

Collins was sent to the sin bin in the closing stages for a high tackle on Felix Jones which allowed Munster to press and eventually earn a late win.

No date has been set for the citing hearing which will decide if his tackle was "dangerous".

New Zealander Collins is leaving the Ospreys at the end of the season"

was a real cheap shot
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

O'Connell left out of the squad for the Quins game. Was that McGahan's decision or Diet Eddie's I wonder....
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

BlueArmyOriginal wrote:O'Connell left out of the squad for the Quins game. Was that McGahan's decision or Diet Eddie's I wonder....
I wonder if there's a few more he'd like to leave out before Saturday? :wink:
BlueArmyOriginal
Rhys Ruddock

Post by BlueArmyOriginal »

claire_m wrote:
BlueArmyOriginal wrote:O'Connell left out of the squad for the Quins game. Was that McGahan's decision or Diet Eddie's I wonder....
I wonder if there's a few more he'd like to leave out before Saturday? :wink:
Like TOL perhaps? Maybe I'm being my usual cynical self but there's a smell of kidney around those omissions....
'And striding away now! For Leinster, is Brian O'Driscoll! He's Running for the posts, he could be running for the Final here! We've got a quarter of the match to go but at the moment the colour is Blue!!' Myles Harrison; Croke Park; 2nd May 2009