Munster Thread 2010/2011

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

downsouthdukin
Mullet

Re: Munster Thread 2010/2011

Post by downsouthdukin »

jezzer wrote:Haven't seen enough of Murray to form a judgement yet, but he looked ok. Ok like cillian willis looked in his early days before he kind of stagnated, or ok like boss looked before he became a very good sh, who knows?

Coughlan was the one "newbie"'who stood out for me. Which is good because Ireland really needs more talented back rowers.
well they certainly could do with cover for 8. its a wonder how he wasn't discovered till his late 20s.. no doubt if he was a con boy it may have been different
Big match from Munster.Don't really understand the criticism of their so called ugly rugby.I love open running rugby but I also admire the collective mastery of this Munster team.What a beautiful machine with that ruthless side to them.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

downsouthdukin wrote:
Oldschool wrote:
downsouthdukin wrote:

So would you care to inform us which players you are talking about?
I would suggest to you, that in order for you to learn anything about your over-hypeing problem you need to work it out for yourself, otherwise it just becomes another the world against Munster thing.
I gave you my overall appraisal of Murray. Suck it up and take it as a genuine observation.
If after a week you still can;t figure out at least two of the suspects, then get back to me.
A clue for you, there is another one in the making (ie overhyped) already.
Over-hyping not over-hypeing.. you should learn to spell what you talking about, its the very least you could do considering you really don't know what your talking about.

Your appraisal of Murray is worthless old chap, i would rather laugh at it than suck it up. how many time have you seen him now? ah once maybe twice?

Since you are unable to comprise a list of over-hyped Munster players I'll start one for the great and good of Leinster...
Andy Dunne, POD, Gary Brown, Kieren Lewis, David Kearney, Toner, Jennings, Willis, Warner, Fat argie prop didnt last the season 2 years ago, Potts...

ducks for cover
And you should realise I was writing and not talking. I pity your mates that have to listen to you spell ever word you speak.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

downsouthdukin wrote:
janeymac08 wrote:

Keith Earls is probably the only Munster player that has ever had a bit of hype about him. He has kept his head down and worked hard and has certainly remained far more low-key than either Luke or Kearney.
Credit Murray - he is 21 years old and looked very comfortable in a fairly key position for a team who were under huge pressure to win. Maybe his pass is a bit high at the moment, but more importantly his head seems to be well screwed on.
there was hype about POC and DOC, ROG, Stringer, Reddan, Leamy......Jeremy Staunton,
You seem to have forgotten to mention Manning (Must have been a sore disappointment to the CC heads, that one), Nally, Murphy and Buckley.
Did I forget anyone - Ah yes Anthony Horgan and his cohort Dowling.
POC was a long time getting there. DOC, Stringer and Rog - don't remember them being hyped. Reddan neither (Maybe after his Wasp days).
Leamy - Well how this guy got so many caps (particularly at No 8) beggars belief.
Come to think of it - How the hell did Foley keep Eric Miller out of the Irish team, certainly not on ability.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

downsouthdukin wrote:
jezzer wrote:Haven't seen enough of Murray to form a judgement yet, but he looked ok. Ok like cillian willis looked in his early days before he kind of stagnated, or ok like boss looked before he became a very good sh, who knows?

Coughlan was the one "newbie"'who stood out for me. Which is good because Ireland really needs more talented back rowers.
well they certainly could do with cover for 8. its a wonder how he wasn't discovered till his late 20s.. no doubt if he was a con boy it may have been different
Everything happens differently for you when you're a Con boy.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

PR wrote:Centre Sam Tuitupou will part ways with Munster at the conclusion of the current season, having spent just one year with the region.

The New Zelander was brought in as a replacement for Jean de Villiers after the Springbok decided to return to South Africa, but despite becoming a fan favourite, will not remain at Thomond Park.

"We here at Munster thank Sammy for his efforts this season," said Munster Director of Rugby Tony McGahan.

"He Has been a popular member of the squad and has certainly added to our back-line unit.

"His dynamic work at the contact area has been a strong focal point for us in both attack and defence.

We wish him the best in both his rugby and personal life in the future."

The New Zealander is expected to continue his career in the Aviva Premiership, but as of yet has not officially joined a new club.
Was never going to last, hopefully they pick up someone good for next yr!
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Peg Leg wrote:
PR wrote:Centre Sam Tuitupou will part ways with Munster at the conclusion of the current season, having spent just one year with the region.

The New Zelander was brought in as a replacement for Jean de Villiers after the Springbok decided to return to South Africa, but despite becoming a fan favourite, will not remain at Thomond Park.

"We here at Munster thank Sammy for his efforts this season," said Munster Director of Rugby Tony McGahan.

"He Has been a popular member of the squad and has certainly added to our back-line unit.

"His dynamic work at the contact area has been a strong focal point for us in both attack and defence.

We wish him the best in both his rugby and personal life in the future."

The New Zealander is expected to continue his career in the Aviva Premiership, but as of yet has not officially joined a new club.
Was never going to last, hopefully they pick up someone good for next yr!
It was on the cards wasn't it?

On another matter, see the article in the ever-brilliant rugby coverage of the Indo where they talk to Damien Browne about the Brive v Munster QF. They don't exactly sound like they're bursting with confidence!

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/b ... 09504.html
Dont Panic!
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

London Irish just lost Mapasua. They signed Hape, but Tui guy is more like an Irish centre
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Was Tuitutpou really a fans favourite? Had my doubts about him before he signed but do think he would have done better with a better 13 outside him. Sadly he's regressed a lot from the days when he was fighting for an all black spot and I would have thought that was obvious from his premiership performances but apparently not. I really think Munster need to bring 2 centres in. I'd hate to see Earls shifted back to 13 unless it's because of injury. I'd be surprised if they didn't have a fairly big name lined up to replace him.
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Ian is done

Dowling Forced To Call It A Day
5 April 2011, 1:12 pm
By Pat Geraghty
Following extensive medical consultation, Munster regretfully announce that Ian Dowling will retire from professional rugby, as a result of a hip injury sustained earlier in the season.
Dowling (28) suffered a hip injury in the game against Ospreys last September.
In the course of a career that started in September 2005, the Kilkenny native won 97 competitive caps and played in both the 2006 and 2008 Heineken Cup finals and won a Magners League medal in 2009.. He would have added greatly to that final total but for injury in 2007 and last season when he was stretchered off in the Heineken Cup quarter final game against Northampton at Thomond Park Stadium.

It was a knee injury on that occasion that forced him to miss the rest of the season and he was only playing in his third competitive game that September day when he sustained the hip injury, four minutes into the game, that would ultimately end his career.

The hugely popular member of the squad made his debut in the Magners League game against Lllanelli Scarlets in Musgrave Park and ended his first season with 15 caps and a Heineken Cup winners medal having played in the quarter, semi and final of that competition.

A try scorer in the 2008 quarter final win over Gloucester at Kingsholm he won his second Heineken Cup medal lining out on the wing against Toulouse and a year later won the first of his two international caps against Canada on Ireland's summer tour of North America.

Dowling informed his teammates of his decision ahead of training in CIT this morning and afterwards although admitting he was "gutted" to be ending his career spoke more of the highlights of his six seasons with Munster. "It's been a fabulous experience. I've made some great friends and take with me really great memories, the two Heineken Cup wins obviously the highlights. But besides that, I've had wonderful times with Munster."

"In fairness I've received all the help and assistance I could have asked for from the Munster medics and I'm hugely appreciative of all the time and effort they've put in trying to get me back. We've explored every avenue possible but in the end I know this is the right decision, the only one really."

In the course of his efforts to recover from the hip injury, the 28 year old sensibly made provision for a day of reckoning he knew might arrive and has been engaged in a degree course in Physiotherapy in UL. "I'd have to say I'm excited about this new direction. A lot of the skills that I needed to bring to professional rugby are transferable to what I'm doing now."

"But again I have to thank the course director who has been so supportive in facilitating my studies while I was also rehabbing this injury."

"I've been fortunate really. I had a great career as a professional rugby player. Enjoyed success with Munster. Got to travel the world. And am lucky now to be in the position I'm in with a new career hopefully beckoning."

"But there is a lesson here for all those looking to follow a pro rugby path. It can end abruptly. Keep that in your mind if you're sitting in a classroom with only dreams of playing in Thomond Park." says the holder of an Honours Sports Science Degree (UL).

"I'd like to thanks all those who have supported me in my career, the coaches, fitness guys, all involved with Munster and Ireland and close friends with particular thanks to my parents John and Kitty, sister Catriona and girlfriend Gill who were always there for me in good times and bad."

"And finally, to the Munster fans, the best in the world, my heartfelt thanks for the part you played in making mine such a memorable career."
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Tuitutpou and Dowling were fairly average players at best. I'm sure the Munster fans will be sad to see them both go (especially Dowling) but I cant help but think these changes will improve the team as a whole.

Fionn Carr to Munster anyone?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Wasn't expecting that news. Poor fella, he wasn't popular on here but I thought he was a very good player. Always worked hard off his wing and earned a lot of hard yards. Defensively he was excellent when rushing up in the blitz and put huge pressure on the opposition. Hopefully his injury won't be too debilitating in future.

There really are going to be massive changes in the Summer. So far we know for definite that Buckley, Tuitupou, Warwick and Dowling are off but there's also big question marks over the future of Horan, Flannery, Hayes, Quinlan and probably one of the scrumhalves as well.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Sorry for the guy, he really forged a career for himself and only last year many MFs were saying he'd be the first back on their teamsheet due to his solidity.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Never the biggest fan of Dowlings, but 28 is too young to be ending a career. Sad news.
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
Bosco
Mullet

Post by Bosco »

Gutted!
Benji
Knowledgeable

Post by Benji »

Poor Dowling, Great worker for Munster . Tough on a lad so young. There seems to be so many lads retiring lately with injuries.
Mackman15
Mullet

Post by Mackman15 »

Scott wrote:Ian is done
Surely this improves Shaggy's chances of getting to the WC.
"Since coming back to Ireland, Leinster really has become my home.............." Leinster & Ireland's No. 1 THP
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

Mackman15 wrote:
That's fishing at its very finest
Scott
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Scott »

Mackman15 wrote:

Paddy Wallace covers wing
"My final expression of thanks is to the supporters of both Ireland and Leinster with whom I have shared some special days that I will never forget" - Shane Horgan
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: There really are going to be massive changes in the Summer. So far we know for definite that Buckley, Tuitupou, Warwick and Dowling are off but there's also big question marks over the future of Horan, Flannery, Hayes, Quinlan and probably one of the scrumhalves as well.
Quinlan is expected to announce his retirement too it was reported during the week. Hayes will likely go as well and its rumoured that Barry Murphy will be left go. To be honest I'd like to see a good clearout during the summer.

Flannery and Horan will stay on I think. I'd say they both will want 1 last injury free season but who knows.

Theres loads of young players signed up, Botha and Keatley too and there'll be a few NIQ's signed. A center and backrower most likely. It should be a stronger squad next season.
Isaac4leinster
Mullet

Post by Isaac4leinster »

dropkick wrote:
LeRouxIsPHat wrote: There really are going to be massive changes in the Summer. So far we know for definite that Buckley, Tuitupou, Warwick and Dowling are off but there's also big question marks over the future of Horan, Flannery, Hayes, Quinlan and probably one of the scrumhalves as well.
Quinlan is expected to announce his retirement too it was reported during the week. Hayes will likely go as well and its rumoured that Barry Murphy will be left go. To be honest I'd like to see a good clearout during the summer.

Flannery and Horan will stay on I think. I'd say they both will want 1 last injury free season but who knows.

Theres loads of young players signed up, Botha and Keatley too and there'll be a few NIQ's signed. A center and backrower most likely. It should be a stronger squad next season.
Munster would be foolish to persist with Horan at this stage. Surely developing a youngster would be preferable.

Munster shoulld take this opportunity to do a massive spring clean and to get jazz things up. Tuitupou was a massive disappointment, they are still on a quest to find a replacement for Halstead. Get Downey in would be the direction to go, and from there

du Preez
Varley
Botha
Nagle
POC
Leamy
TOD
Caughlan (though not ideal)
Murray
ROG/Keatley
Fionn Carr
Downey