Top Team of the last 15years

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

leinster10
Knowledgeable

Top Team of the last 15years

Post by leinster10 »

O’Gara part of a truly super 15
17/05/2010
THE waiting is over. After a lengthy decision process, the ERC panel has decided its European dream team. It couldn’t have been an easy task.

To decide on the best 15 players over the last 15 years involves discerning judgement and an in-depth knowledge of rugby. The panel was comprised of some of the most highly regarded figures in European rugby. But the final selection was always going to spark a heated debate.

All the players have Heineken Cup winner’s medals, with the exception of Sylvain Marconnet who was a losing finalist with Stade Francais in 2005. The team is dominated by French and Irish players, with six and five respectively. Wales, England and Australia through Rocky Elsom, are also represented. Scotland and Italy may be disappointed but their exclusion seems only fair considering their lack of success.

While there was never going to be full agreement in all the positions, there were some names that would have been in everyone’s team sheets. Yannick Jauzion, Ronan O’Gara, and Anthony Foley were certainties.

Jauzion has been a pivotal force in Stade Toulousain’s successes over the last seven years. With 91 European Cup caps and 1,138 points, O’Gara’s selection was never in doubt. Foley was the driving force behind many Munster wins. A great reader of the game, he had the ability to always be in the right place at the right time.

Other Irish players who made the cut are Geordan Murphy, Brian O’Driscoll and David Wallace. Murphy was central to Leicester’s wins in 2000 and 2002.

O’Driscoll seemed to be mired in European under-achievement in his native province, but all that changed last season when Leinster finally fulfilled their potential last season. He is one of the world’s best players and his eventual success sealed his inclusion.

Wallace has had so many memorable moments in the last 13 years that it is hard to single out a few. His ability to swat would-be defenders out of his path and his searing line-breaks made him one of Europe’s most exciting back rows, and edged him past the Welsh stalwart, Martyn Williams.

Perhaps the most hotly contested position is the second row.

Paul O’Connell can feel aggrieved but his career is continuing and perhaps the next time such a selection will be made, he will be an automatic starter. Martin Johnson nudged his team-mate Ben Kay out and Fabien Pelous has been the heart and soul of so much of Toulouse’s victories.

Scrum-half was also a difficult choice. Rob Howley pipped Austin Healey and Peter Stringer in what must have been a tight contest.

One selection that has mystified me is the choice of Elsom as blind-side flanker. If you were selecting a team based on the best performances from one particular season, Elsom would have to be picked. The impact he made at Leinster was immense and merited his inclusion as a nominee.

But each of the other nominees has contributed far more over a longer period. Martin Corry and Alan Quinlan could easily have been selected ahead of Elsom, and there is even an argument for moving the old Wasps warhorse, Lawrence Dallaglio, up from number eight to the blindside.

Vincent Clerc is a worthy starter on the wing but one of the best wingers I have played against during my career was Cedric Heymans. The bustling, all-action speedster has had 13 seasons in the European cup, starting with his involvement in Brive’s cup-winning season in 1997. He has played in five finals and has three winner’s medals. Excluding Heymans was a mistake.

Nobody could argue with Christian Califano’s selection at loose head. He was a rock-solid prop with electric pace. He binds onto a worthy starter at hooker in William Servat; however he must have been pushed hard by Ibanez and Mario Ledesma.

The biggest travesty in this selection is at tighthead. Not including John Hayes is bizarre. He has 93 caps in Europe, more than any other player, and has been the cornerstone of Munster’s successes for 12 seasons. He has played in four finals and has two winner’s medals. The big man has had many memorable moments but a stand-out memory is his opening try against Toulouse in the 2000 semi final in Bordeaux. Hayes, however, won’t be bothered. He’s not interested in the limelight and will be happy that he won’t have to attend an official gala function. That’s not really his scene.

For each of the players selected, this accolade is ultimately just a pleasant recognition of their achievements. But nothing more. What made these players great is their ambition, hunger and ability to win. Winning cups is the ultimate prize. And all of them would choose this over any individual award.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?c=rug ... z0oCdw9oY0
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Re: Top Team of the last 15years

Post by Donny B. »

Any panel with Stephen Jones as the chairman instantly loses any credibility in my eyes. Do they not realise with an idiot he is?
dipper
Knowledgeable

Post by dipper »

Donny B. wrote:Any panel with Stephen Jones as the chairman instantly loses any credibility in my eyes. Do they not realise with an idiot he is?
Yeah I laughed when I saw Jones name on the panel. He's the most useless excuse for a rugby journalist I've ever seen. By the way, does anyone know who wrote this article?
Donny B.
Devin Toner

Post by Donny B. »

dipper wrote:
Donny B. wrote:Any panel with Stephen Jones as the chairman instantly loses any credibility in my eyes. Do they not realise with an idiot he is?
Yeah I laughed when I saw Jones name on the panel. He's the most useless excuse for a rugby journalist I've ever seen. By the way, does anyone know who wrote this article?
John Kelly.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

dipper wrote:
He can't have been that influential, BOD made the team.
Oscar
Mullet

Post by Oscar »

Murphy was central to Leicester’s wins in 2000 and 2002.
He was?
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

dipper wrote:
I actually hate him, physically hate him. He left Lobbe out of his list of top 8 number 8s in the world last week and had Ryan Jones was on the list. How can someone in his position omit Lobbe? He also had Courtney bloody Lawes in his best Heineken cup team ever...no O'Connell (or Pelous because I think Johnson was the other 2nd row) but Lawes makes in it in. He's a disgrace.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Never read him, then tuned in to some of his waffle pre-Lions but tuned out immediately. Hes a poor poor excuse for an opinion, even the pro's that join him in certain debates laugh at most of what he says.

Cant see the appeal
Terraceman
Graduate

Post by Terraceman »

Logorrhea wrote:Never read him, then tuned in to some of his waffle pre-Lions but tuned out immediately. Hes a poor poor excuse for an opinion, even the pro's that join him in certain debates laugh at most of what he says.
Cant see the appeal
Sometimes it's just for a good laugh, for example in the Sunday Times he had the team that he would have chosen for the ERC 15. Suffice to say the selections he made were farcical. O'Driscoll's omission springs to mind. Only one or two Irish players in it. Oh yeah and Courtney Lawes(Northampton 2nd row.. only in his very early 20's and first season) made it in to the 15. :lol:
Ah it's alright mate I've being looking to change that wing mirror- Rocky Elsom 19/05/2009
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

What some people need to understand is that there are some prominent rugby writers who watch and analyse scant amounts of rugby. Most of their information comes from their network of contacts and chit chat.

Jones would be finished if he ever tried to do a professional job. There are people who've been going to games regularly for 30 years who have a really poor knowledge of the game and have never ever looked at the inside of the law book. Replays are this type of game analysis are a modern occurrence. Watch Rugby Gold and you see commentators from 20 years ago who say things like "and Scotland infringe at the breakdown" and the game moves on. That's the era Stephen Jones comes from. Liam Toland, who captained Leinster in the Heineken Cup, readily admitted in his Irish Times article (that it's his job to write) not even watching the Toulouse game because he was walking up Croke Patrick. Didn't seem important to even watch a full replay, article didn't need it. Gerry Thornley has written two articles in a week rehashing almost the same information about squad and coaching changes.

How often can you read an article in a major newspaper and actually be sure that the guy writing it was paying attention during the game, or even watching it? Try it.
janeymac08
Mullet

Post by janeymac08 »

I think you are overstating the influence on the selection of Stephen Jones here. The deliberations of the committee can be seen on the ERC website. Ian McGeechan seems to have had quite a bit to say. Donal Lenihan was the one who agreed with McGeechan for instance that Martin Johnson could not be left out of this team and put Pelous ahead of Paul O'Connell.

btw, it was a unanimous decision that O'Gara was the best player of the competition over the last 15 years, as was Foley at 8 (ahead of Dayglo who was also a committee member).
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

janeymac08 wrote:I think you are overstating the influence on the selection of Stephen Jones here.
Its the fact that he is involved at all that is the problem. Hes a prize tool and his involvement over someone like me, or my mom, completely discredits the process in my eyes.

I havent seen the team but happy enough to hear Foley and O'Gara got in (if I read your post correctly).
claire_m
Shane Jennings

Post by claire_m »

I still have problems with the inclusion of Rocky. Top team last season, no question. But he has only played 1 season in the HEC and to include him ahead of others who have had far greater involvement, baffling. :?
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

claire_m wrote:I still have problems with the inclusion of Rocky. Top team last season, no question. But he has only played 1 season in the HEC and to include him ahead of others who have had far greater involvement, baffling. :?
I agree on the one season thing. However he did play 10 times better than most other 6s in the comp :D
What worries me is that he is much less effective for the Brumbies this year. Does that mean the S14 is light years ahead of the HC. It would explain why we all keep losing to SH opposition!

(Climbs under blanket in anticipation of flaming from the "Super 14 is Rugby league and therefore cr@p lobby")
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

johng wrote:
claire_m wrote:I still have problems with the inclusion of Rocky. Top team last season, no question. But he has only played 1 season in the HEC and to include him ahead of others who have had far greater involvement, baffling. :?
I agree on the one season thing. However he did play 10 times better than most other 6s in the comp :D
What worries me is that he is much less effective for the Brumbies this year. Does that mean the S14 is light years ahead of the HC. It would explain why we all keep losing to SH opposition!

(Climbs under blanket in anticipation of flaming from the "Super 14 is Rugby league and therefore cr@p lobby")
He's been okay. It's certainly a high standard but I'm not sure that's the difference. If he was the only player moving between S14 and HC then I'd be worried, but there are plenty of guys out there to give a good overall impression.
orfeo
Bookworm

Post by orfeo »

johng wrote:

Thought that also and like you was afraid to say it, I could'nt believe I was watching the same player the other night.
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

ronk wrote:
johng wrote:

He's been okay. It's certainly a high standard but I'm not sure that's the difference. If he was the only player moving between S14 and HC then I'd be worried, but there are plenty of guys out there to give a good overall impression.
Yeah like Andy Goode :lol:
leinster10
Knowledgeable

Post by leinster10 »

what team would you have?
Danthefan
Rob Kearney

Post by Danthefan »

Foley better than Dallaglio :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tickettout
Knowledgeable

Post by tickettout »

It's beyond a joke that POC isn't in that team.