Connacht 2023/24

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Connacht 2023/24

Post by ronk »

Maybe they did, just without the leak campaign.

Tector may have only got 1 game this season. But he had 7 last season.

Tector's situation is not hopeless. There could be some backfill and Murphy going to Ulster makes more room below him.

But you'd have to think you'd go for it if it was on the table. I don't think Connacht actually backed themselves to develop talent there.
kff15
Knowledgeable

Post by kff15 »

ronk wrote: June 25th, 2024, 8:33 am Maybe they did, just without the leak campaign.

Tector's situation is not hopeless. There could be some backfill and Murphy going to Ulster makes more room below him.

But you'd have to think you'd go for it if it was on the table. I don't think Connacht actually backed themselves to develop talent there.
I dont know if I'm right on this but I have the feeling that fewer of the Conancht Academy entrants seem to graduate through to senior contracts than in the other provinces?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

kff15 wrote: June 25th, 2024, 8:50 am
ronk wrote: June 25th, 2024, 8:33 am Maybe they did, just without the leak campaign.

I dont know if I'm right on this but I have the feeling that fewer of the Conancht Academy entrants seem to graduate through to senior contracts than in the other provinces?
It's hard to know because of the inadvertant secrecy around the Connacht squad due to their website.

It seems to be poorer but they also seem to pull people into squads earlier.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Current Connacht Academy graduates in the 24/25 squad.
Duggan, Buckley, Heffernan, Tierney Martin, Bealham, Murray x 2, Prendergast, Blade, Devine, Carty, Forde, Bolton, Smith, Mullen, and jennings at a guess.

Seems like a reasonable output but not sure how it compares. Back row seems to be an area we struggle to produce from the academy.
king
Bookworm

Post by king »

Missed Reilly, de butlair, Gavin, Macormak and maybe Boyle.
theiceman
Bookworm

Post by theiceman »

king wrote: June 28th, 2024, 9:04 pm Current Connacht Academy graduates in the 24/25 squad.
Duggan, Buckley, Heffernan, Tierney Martin, Bealham, Murray x 2, Prendergast, Blade, Devine, Carty, Forde, Bolton, Smith, Mullen, and jennings at a guess.

Seems like a reasonable output but not sure how it compares. Back row seems to be an area we struggle to produce from the academy.
What’s become of Tierney Martin? I remember at one stage a few years ago he was touted as the next big thing.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by theiceman

What’s become of Tierney Martin? I remember at one stage a few years ago he was touted as the next big thing.
He's doing ok. Had a few serious injuries that held him back. Next season is a big one for him.
Galicia celt
Learner

Post by Galicia celt »

king wrote: June 28th, 2024, 9:04 pm Current Connacht Academy graduates in the 24/25 squad.

Sob was international standard shame he had to retire. I saw someone mention otere black as Connachts new 10 ? Was talked as a potential ab 2/3 years back
Galicia celt
Learner

Post by Galicia celt »

Galicia celt wrote: July 1st, 2024, 9:42 pm

Sob was international standard shame he had to retire. I saw someone mention otere black as Connachts new 10 ? Was talked as a potential ab 2/3 years back
Sounds like Josh Ioane instead
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Galicia celt wrote: July 3rd, 2024, 5:53 pm

1 cap for ABs v Tonga in 2019, back up to McKenzie at the Chiefs, so only 1 start at 10 in Super Rugby in last two seasons.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

I heard same. decent signing if it is. Irish qualified too if I am not mistaken.
If true, it puts to bed any talk of Prendergast joining his brother at Connacht.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/report-one-t ... cht-603462
scentofgunpowder
Knowledgeable

Post by scentofgunpowder »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: July 4th, 2024, 3:25 pm

Where have you seen that he is IQ? A cursory Google is not throwing up much.

I heard same. decent signing if it is. Irish qualified too if I am not mistaken.
If true, it puts to bed any talk of Prendergast joining his brother at Connacht.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/report-one-t ... cht-603462
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

scentofgunpowder wrote: July 4th, 2024, 4:07 pm
Where have you seen that he is IQ? A cursory Google is not throwing up much.
don't remember. sorry. Murray Kinsellas twitter feed maybe. It is Josh Loane. I maybe mistaken about the IQ aspect.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

Ioane is a little under 5'8 which is tiny in professional terms. Reminds me of Miah Nikora another Connacth 10 from ages past. Talented but physically slight. Hope it works out for the lad but I'm not expecting brilliance.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Connacht Rugby are delighted to announce the signing of talented All Black out-half Josh Ioane from the Chiefs for the 2024/25 season.

Ioane arrives with vast experience at the highest level of southern hemisphere rugby with 72 Super Rugby caps between spells at the Chiefs most recently, and the Highlanders prior to that, scoring over 300 points in the process.

While playing for the Highlanders, the 28-year-old earned a call-up to the All Blacks for the 2019 Rugby Championship, making his international debut against Tonga that year and scoring 8 points off the bench.

Ioane also featured for the All Blacks XV against Ireland ‘A’ at the RDS Arena in November 2022, and previously played and scored against Ireland for the Maori All Blacks in both fixtures during Ireland’s summer tour of New Zealand that same year.

A versatile and dynamic playmaker, Ioane has established himself as one of the most exciting out-halves in New Zealand, while he has also played regularly at full-back and occasionally at centre, providing Pete Wilkins with further depth in key positions.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

https://www.the42.ie/josh-ioane-6432194-Jul2024/

Looks like another excellent signing by Connacht.
scentofgunpowder
Knowledgeable

Post by scentofgunpowder »

Seems like a minor shame from an Irish point of view that minutes which could have gone to one of the Leinster cohort will instead go to a (presumably) short term NIQ signing. From a Connacht perspective, Ioane is probably at a roughly equivalent level to Frawley/H Byrne and ahead of Prendergast/Tector at this stage of their development, so I'm happy enough.

It seemed like the tide was turning with regard to Leinster players making the trip West towards the end of Andy Friend's tenure. Dooley, Murphy, and Hawkshaw all moved in 2022, and to my mind were among the most high profile Leinster players to move across to that point. Lasisi and Murphy could turn out to very good signings, but it feels like a return to the days of only younger players with limited options being willing to venture to Galway. Connacht at the moment are a poorly coached team and it is very hard to look at the squad and point to players who have made significant progress over the season just gone. The likes of Darragh Murray, Forde, Smith etc. are putting up big minutes but attracting very little attention because they are not playing within a structure which emphasises their strengths and allows them to impress.

The "vibes" also seem to have soured somewhat from the Friend era, from what we can see from the outside. I would wager that Wilkins has a similar or better win %, but he has struggled to create that feeling of good will around Connacht rugby as a whole, that Friend succeeded in doing so well. Realistically, Wilkins et al only have a few months next season to make Connacht a more attractive proposition in time for contract renewals.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

One year deal for now for Ioane. In Summer 2025, the deals of Ioane, Carty and Hanrahan are all up.
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

neill_m wrote: July 10th, 2024, 12:16 pm One year deal for now for Ioane. In Summer 2025, the deals of Ioane, Carty and Hanrahan are all up.
Yeah, and the pecking order at Leinster should (hopefully be clearer) by then.

I think Ioane is a great signing for them. Exciting player.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

FtD wrote: July 10th, 2024, 1:47 pm
neill_m wrote: July 10th, 2024, 12:16 pm One year deal for now for Ioane. In Summer 2025, the deals of Ioane, Carty and Hanrahan are all up.
Yeah, and the pecking order at Leinster should (hopefully be clearer) by then.

I think Ioane is a great signing for them. Exciting player.
IMO the Byrnes will go abroad before joining Connacht.