where did you play?

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

Props Have Feelings Too
Beginner

Re: where did you play?

Post by Props Have Feelings Too »

Very very rare poster but daily reader for yonks.

Played Loose Head Prop with a few break glass in case of emergencies at Tight Head. Hated tight head.

Felt I was destined to play open side and even offered to drop down a few teams to give it a go but LH was my position and that was that.

Having long retired from rugby I realise that playing prop was a privilege granting membership to one of the great lifelong clubs.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Props Have Feelings Too wrote: May 15th, 2023, 10:41 am Very very rare poster but daily reader for yonks.

Played Loose Head Prop with a few break glass in case of emergencies at Tight Head. Hated tight head.

Felt I was destined to play open side and even offered to drop down a few teams to give it a go but LH was my position and that was that.

Having long retired from rugby I realise that playing prop was a privilege granting membership to one of the great lifelong clubs.
Never has a truer word been spoken 🎩
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Outhalf or centre, no real work for me and a very light laundry bill. Boots always looked immaculate though.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
scentofgunpowder
Bookworm

Post by scentofgunpowder »

hugonaut wrote: May 14th, 2023, 12:01 am Hugonaut - hooker, openside, scrumhalf ... unusual combination, I know. Spread over a number of years. I will make the argument until I croak that openside and scrum-half have a lot of similarities. Also, I was about the same size as a 15-year old as I am these days.

This also explains my repetitive defenses of both hookers and scrum-halves, particularly Luke McGrath. What an absolute warrior he is.

Ronk must have been a prop.
A rare combination, although I have actually played all three positions since returning to rugby after COVID. Never found my size (~80kg) to be a barrier to playing hooker at my (low) level. Have tried to convert to nine to extend my shelf life but unfortunately my passing is not as good as my darts yet.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

scentofgunpowder wrote: May 15th, 2023, 11:43 am
hugonaut wrote: May 14th, 2023, 12:01 am Hugonaut - hooker, openside, scrumhalf ... unusual combination, I know. Spread over a number of years. I will make the argument until I croak that openside and scrum-half have a lot of similarities. Also, I was about the same size as a 15-year old as I am these days.

This also explains my repetitive defenses of both hookers and scrum-halves, particularly Luke McGrath. What an absolute warrior he is.

Ronk must have been a prop.
A rare combination, although I have actually played all three positions since returning to rugby after COVID. Never found my size (~80kg) to be a barrier to playing hooker at my (low) level. Have tried to convert to nine to extend my shelf life but unfortunately my passing is not as good as my darts yet.
Spoke to Ronnie Dawson who captained Ireland and the Lions at hooker and I asked him what his fighting weight was and he said 11 stone 7 (73k)!! I know a few lads played backrow forward and hooker.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

I played openside for a brief spell in first year, then a bit of loosehead. I'm a bit of a freak strength wise, outlifting grown men at 14, so I was moved to TH around Christmas first year and never looked back. Hung up the boots at 32 after a really nasty inguinal hernia laid me up for about 3 months. I decided enough was enough.

My pops spent a lot of time in Oz and NZ and he always wanted me to play in the backs as I had a burst of speed (think Gimli from Lord Of The Rings), the brothers didn't see it that way.

I think being a TH suited my ND brain though, more suited to graft than being a flash git back :lol:
joooooe
Enlightened

Post by joooooe »

A schools career that began in the backrow had a couple of trips to the second row. I stopped growing at 14 or 15 and moved to the centre, then wing, then full back. I played every position except hooker and scrum half at various stages (one game went to uncontested scrums and I had one scrum at LH and one at TH - I'm claiming that!).

I played at 15 for the last 3 years of school and a couple of games in college so, when asked what position I played, I always say full-back.
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

Oi.............................ya missed one of the best lineout jumpers in his day, who did have a dalliance at blindside but was too slow, so lock it was. Before the days of lifting you got up by any means, foul or fair, I think I'd get a nose bleed if I was lifted these days, mind you'd need a fork truck to get me off the ground.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

tigerburnie wrote: May 15th, 2023, 3:21 pm Oi.............................ya missed one of the best lineout jumpers in his day, who did have a dalliance at blindside but was too slow, so lock it was. Before the days of lifting you got up by any means, foul or fair, I think I'd get a nose bleed if I was lifted these days, mind you'd need a fork truck to get me off the ground.
Sorry TB, how could I forget such an auspicious jumper
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 15th, 2023, 4:57 pm
tigerburnie wrote: May 15th, 2023, 3:21 pm Oi.............................ya missed one of the best lineout jumpers in his day, who did have a dalliance at blindside but was too slow, so lock it was. Before the days of lifting you got up by any means, foul or fair, I think I'd get a nose bleed if I was lifted these days, mind you'd need a fork truck to get me off the ground.
Wait a sec? He's returned to earth? Finally!!
ormond lad
Graduate

Post by ormond lad »

primarily played 2nd row, openside and wing tho have played every position except in the front row at levels from u16 up to j1
tigerburnie
Enlightened

Post by tigerburnie »

RoboProp wrote: May 15th, 2023, 6:54 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 15th, 2023, 4:57 pm
Wait a sec? He's returned to earth? Finally!!
With a bump in Manchester sadly................................. 8)
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

Wing from U8 to U12, Scrumhalf till mid 20's and then a slow retreat to end up as a coward of a hooker - with a beautiful throw, but no interest in the dark arts.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Started as a kid (8 or9) at hooker, graduated to 15 at age 12, played JCT at No 8, SCT at 6 and 7. Age-grade Rep at 6 & 7. Played 13 years senior Club, selected at many positions except SH, wing & second-row, but threw into line-outs for 4 years from No 7. Refereed for a dozen years, including Rep level and then a decade coaching Junior & Senior.

Would love to have had Academy development with expert advice and mentoring. Played my best rugby with good coaches but bad ones set you back hugely. Selection was focussed on getting 15 competent players on pitch, not on optimising the abilities and skills of players. In Club rugby then, there was very limited focus on improving skills or building a Squad for a future year(s). However, loved training and weekend matches. Usually ended up playing about 30 games a season and occasionally 34/35 with Firbolgs or Wolfhounds games around the Province on Sundays.

Great craic, not a perfect lifestyle but wouldn't have swopped it for anything.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Hoofhearted wrote: May 24th, 2023, 10:17 am Wing from U8 to U12, Scrumhalf till mid 20's and then a slow retreat to end up as a coward of a hooker - with a beautiful throw, but no interest in the dark arts.
I’ve never met a shrinking violet of a hooker, I’d say you’re being either a bit hard on yourself there or a bit self deprecating… 🤔
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Ruckedtobits wrote: May 24th, 2023, 11:22 am Started as a kid (8 or9) at hooker, graduated to 15 at age 12, played JCT at No 8, SCT at 6 and 7. Age-grade Rep at 6 & 7. Played 13 years senior Club, selected at many positions except SH, wing & second-row, but threw into line-outs for 4 years from No 7. Refereed for a dozen years, including Rep level and then a decade coaching Junior & Senior.

Would love to have had Academy development with expert advice and mentoring. Played my best rugby with good coaches but bad ones set you back hugely. Selection was focussed on getting 15 competent players on pitch, not on optimising the abilities and skills of players. In Club rugby then, there was very limited focus on improving skills or building a Squad for a future year(s). However, loved training and weekend matches. Usually ended up playing about 30 games a season and occasionally 34/35 with Firbolgs or Wolfhounds games around the Province on Sundays.

Great craic, not a perfect lifestyle but wouldn't have swopped it for anything.
Another great post RTB.
Keep them coming.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Hoofhearted
Bookworm

Post by Hoofhearted »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: May 24th, 2023, 11:38 am
Hoofhearted wrote: May 24th, 2023, 10:17 am Wing from U8 to U12, Scrumhalf till mid 20's and then a slow retreat to end up as a coward of a hooker - with a beautiful throw, but no interest in the dark arts.
I’ve never met a shrinking violet of a hooker, I’d say you’re being either a bit hard on yourself there or a bit self deprecating… 🤔
Wait, it was a terrible throw and a great appreciation for the dark arts! 😀
JohnB
Graduate

Post by JohnB »

Didn’t play as though I’d just joined a rugby orientated school, I was banned from playing any contact sports for 5 years after the 3rd of 3 operations restored my hearing. Consequently, I had no interest in rugby while in school though I became interested finally while in 3rd level.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

8, 7, 4/5

8 at school - could fill in at 2nd row

8 at college - first year competition saw me switch to 2nd row to get my place, then back to 8 for next 2 years

The profile of players at club saw me switch to 7, I played 8 occasionally and if there was an injury I did an occasional stint in the row