Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 27th, 2023, 4:09 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 8:58 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 27th, 2023, 8:14 am

I say all of this with love and friendship in my heart:

Nah, you (as in you not ye) are just trying to give him a nickname and you’ve not done it well. Just like when you tried to dub CJ “Seige”.

In general the Turnip eating community are good at giving nicknames, I think it just skipped you.
That’s the first time I’ve heard of CJ being called Seige, are you sure I tried to call him that?

Additionally, I am not the one calling PP 4fu€ks that is a commonly used affectionate term used on the terraces of his home stadium.
Turns out it was AB0 that called CJ Siege, so sorry for the mixup. But yeah, I’ve heard Paddy Fu€kn P, never 4Fu€ks. The former is objectively better…
You are clearly very passionate about nicknames or having a very bad day, because the way you reacted to me calling a player by a nickname that he is regularly called was very odd.

I accept your apology, but maybe take a deep breath before going off on one like that in the future.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

munster#1 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:22 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 27th, 2023, 4:09 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 8:58 am

That’s the first time I’ve heard of CJ being called Seige, are you sure I tried to call him that?

Additionally, I am not the one calling PP 4fu€ks that is a commonly used affectionate term used on the terraces of his home stadium.
Turns out it was AB0 that called CJ Siege, so sorry for the mixup. But yeah, I’ve heard Paddy Fu€kn P, never 4Fu€ks. The former is objectively better…
You are clearly very passionate about nicknames or having a very bad day, because the way you reacted to me calling a player by a nickname that he is regularly called was very odd.

I accept your apology, but maybe take a deep breath before going off on one like that in the future.
Eh, a few things
1: I said everything with love and friendship in my heart - The first line of my response to you
2: Paddy Effin Patterson is objectively better than 4Fu€Ks
3: the whole calling CJ Siege was really bad and I thought that was you, turned out it wasn’t so I’ve apologised for mix-up and you’ve graciously accepted for which I thank you
4: nicknames are a very important
5: you’re on a rugby forum, I was very obviously talking tongue in cheek and if you feel the need to take offence at the first sign of banter then I don’t know what to say other than none was intended
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 27th, 2023, 11:00 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 27th, 2023, 9:22 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 27th, 2023, 4:09 pm Turns out it was AB0 that called CJ Siege, so sorry for the mixup. But yeah, I’ve heard Paddy Fu€kn P, never 4Fu€ks. The former is objectively better…

Eh, a few things
1: I said everything with love and friendship in my heart - The first line of my response to you
2: Paddy Effin Patterson is objectively better than 4Fu€Ks
3: the whole calling CJ Siege was really bad and I thought that was you, turned out it wasn’t so I’ve apologised for mix-up and you’ve graciously accepted for which I thank you
4: nicknames are a very important
5: you’re on a rugby forum, I was very obviously talking tongue in cheek and if you feel the need to take offence at the first sign of banter then I don’t know what to say other than none was intended
Fair enough, my bad.
I read the post as being fairly aggressive with the turnip reference and calling me out individually, which I was wrong to take offence to.

Unfortunately, sarcasm doesn’t translate well in written form, but I will keep an eye out for it in future.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

I’d like to retract previous comments on jvg. I used to think it was just a lack of quality but seeing the speed of ruck ball, space identification, ball work in barely 6 months of rownprendyleams ball is outstanding.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Sugary tae wrote: January 28th, 2023, 6:01 pm I’d like to retract previous comments on jvg. I used to think it was just a lack of quality but seeing the speed of ruck ball, space identification, ball work in barely 6 months of rownprendyleams ball is outstanding.
Your lads are an awful lot more aerobically fit now, did Leamy bring Stuesday with him?
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Our defence has been consistently decent prior to leamy tbf. Jp Ferreira had us as the fewest conceded tries in the league for a few seasons while but neinbaur was a good defensive coach too but I felt it was an incredibly draining style of play….that /rassies season we hit a wall around March. Squad was absolutely ballixed

A good 7 like hodnett adds a lot. I think kendellan is going to be an excellent player…but he’s closer to a 7 than an 8? . Perhaps a bit of second season syndrome. He’s does an awful lot right but seems to make a couple of poor decisions occasionally and he doesn’t look an angry meathead. Perhaps that’s just timing.
Jos is a good player. Been v unlucky with timing of his injuries.
Patterson has been a revelation and frisch is the type of player we’ve been screaming for for …well forever
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

During the week I said that this game was a potential banana skin for Munster, and after only a few minutes it looked like it was going to be.
Munster went into the game with one of the best defences in the league and Europe, yet gave away a fairly rare TBP.

Treviso play a very exciting brand of rugby, and despite missing a good number of players, the drop in quality was not very obvious.

Munster played well, and managed to stick with the game, but on 60 mins the game could have shifted either way.
There were some big moments from Hodnett, Daly, JOS and Healy which drove Munster on and allowed them to close out the game.

Hodnett deserves a very special mention. Ireland have not produced a large number of traditional openides, but Hodnett is looks like he has all of the attributes to become a very good 7.
IMO, despite being a big fan of JOD, the best backrow available to Munster right now is POM, Hodnett and Coombes.
Before I get the usual abuse, I am not saying that Hodnett should be starting for Ireland, but I do believe that he is not far from putting his name into the equation for Irish squads.

Munster took a much needed 5 points. They will need to collect a couple more before they head to SA, but right now they are in a good place.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

munster#1 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:40 pm During the week I said that this game was a potential banana skin for Munster, and after only a few minutes it looked like it was going to be.
Munster went into the game with one of the best defences in the league and Europe, yet gave away a fairly rare TBP.

Treviso play a very exciting brand of rugby, and despite missing a good number of players, the drop in quality was not very obvious.

Munster played well, and managed to stick with the game, but on 60 mins the game could have shifted either way.
There were some big moments from Hodnett, Daly, JOS and Healy which drove Munster on and allowed them to close out the game.

Hodnett deserves a very special mention. Ireland have not produced a large number of traditional openides, but Hodnett is looks like he has all of the attributes to become a very good 7.
IMO, despite being a big fan of JOD, the best backrow available to Munster right now is POM, Hodnett and Coombes.
Before I get the usual abuse, I am not saying that Hodnett should be starting for Ireland, but I do believe that he is not far from putting his name into the equation for Irish squads.

Munster took a much needed 5 points. They will need to collect a couple more before they head to SA, but right now they are in a good place.
That's a big fall from grace from the once "best backrow in Ireland" :D Ah no, Hodnett looked like a star in the making from when he played in that Ireland u20 squad and he's looked really good for Munster whenever he's been on the field. I rate him highly, but In terms of the Irish squad he now faces stiff competition from Will Connors who is back from injury and his impact in defence was as prominent as ever, coming off the bench against Cardiff.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Keith wrote: January 29th, 2023, 6:37 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 28th, 2023, 11:40 pm During the week I said that this game was a potential banana skin for Munster, and after only a few minutes it looked like it was going to be.

That's a big fall from grace from the once "best backrow in Ireland" :D Ah no, Hodnett looked like a star in the making from when he played in that Ireland u20 squad and he's looked really good for Munster whenever he's been on the field. I rate him highly, but In terms of the Irish squad he now faces stiff competition from Will Connors who is back from injury and his impact in defence was as prominent as ever, coming off the bench against Cardiff.
It’s a funny one with Hodnett. A friend of mine is involved with the underage system, and has worked with all of the recent academy graduates.
He has some glowing reports on some others, but when I asked him about Hodnett a couple of years ago, he said that he probably won’t make it due to his attitude.

He was either completely wrong, or Hodnett has turned a corner, because his work rate is very good, and his continual improvement suggests that he is putting in the graft in training.

The backrow is a seriously congested area at the moment, so if it’s not Connors he’s fighting it out with, it will be one of many others.
What Hodnett gives you is a horses for course’s ability in selection, and if his current trajectory continues he’ll be difficult to ignore.
However, he’ll probably have to establish himself as a first choice player before becoming a regular in the Ireland squads.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Could be both. Faster, more intense skills training may have raised his fitness without him improving his gym motivation or dietary discipline (further).

I'd always view comments like that as relative, to most people it would look like they're pushing hard. But in an elite group they might be viewed as less industrious.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Molecast #83 is another good listen as the three lads dissect the performance of the Provinces in European Competitions.

They had a particularly informed and interesting discussion on the importance of playing the full 80 mins, however it plays out. Specific reference to the contrasting experiences of Munster & Leinster and how each coped.

Another good 55 mins.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 30th, 2023, 1:40 pm Molecast #83 is another good listen as the three lads dissect the performance of the Provinces in European Competitions.

They had a particularly informed and interesting discussion on the importance of playing the full 80 mins, however it plays out. Specific reference to the contrasting experiences of Munster & Leinster and how each coped.

Another good 55 mins.
I won’t listen to it as I find them hard to listen to.

But it is a very interesting topic, I think a better example of the consequences of playing/not playing the full 80 mins would have to be the La Rochelle v Ulster match.

Munster are in a fair transition at the moment in terms of personnel and playing style, so it will take time for them to deliver a level of consistency that allows them to play a full 80, which isn’t an easy task.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

Munster Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to confirm contract extensions for Niall Scannell and Rory Scannell with Edwin Edogbo signing his first senior contract and John Ryan returning to Munster next season.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2023/01/31/ ... contracts/

Edogbo the most expected news, but also welcome news. Interesting that rumours had suggested both Scannell brothers were off.

Ryan is the big news. Wonder what this means for development, for Archer and for the Ireland team at the RWC (he becomes eligible again and age isn't relevant if his form warrants selection).
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Ryan has to come into Ireland reckoning if Moore isn't available. He's a perfect 'break glass' option.

Would still think he's a distant third behind Furlong/Bealham and TOT seems to be Faz chosen next option.

Good to see Munster have managed to rectify this situation. Would assume that Archer is retiring in that case.

Not sure about the updated contracts for both Scannell brothers personally.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: January 31st, 2023, 3:46 pm
Not sure about the updated contracts for both Scannell brothers personally.
They play a lot and the alternative would realistically be Munster signing players.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Delighted with the contract news.

Edogbo looks to have a very bright future ahead of him. He looks to be just the type of lock that Munster have been crying out for.

IMO Niall Scannell has made great strides this season. It has always been clear that he is a strong scrummaging hooker, but his work around the park has improved greatly this season. At 30 he is still very young in hooker years.

Rory is realistically a squad player at this stage, and a very dependable one at that.
Should Frisch start earning international call ups, Rory is just the type of player Munster will need, and is likely on a fairly reasonable salary.

John Ryan is good news. His scrummaging against Toulouse showed how good he can be, but he is not at the level around the park.
I would love to see Munster spend big at TH post RWC.
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

30, very young :lol: :lol:
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

McDonald confirmed to have completed his short term deal.
Whilst he played very few minutes for Munster during his time with the province, he appeared to be a very talented player, and I hope he manages to pick up a good contract elsewhere.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Seems that Edogbo has to complete year 3 academy before he'll be given a senior contract.

https://www.the42.ie/john-ryan-2-5983822-Jan2023/