Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Re: Grahamunster - Graham Rowntree's Munster 2022/2023

Post by hugonaut »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 5:54 pm I do appreciate that it’ll take time for the coaches to leave their mark but I struggle to downplay how big a deal it is that Rowntree was already part of a failing environment and has somehow been promoted ... [t]o me the Munster situation is different and needed a clean sweep.
Yeah, I have been thinking of what happened in Ulster when Dan McFarland took over, before the 2018-19 season.

The league was in two conferences at the time [2017-18 season] and Ulster finished fourth in Con B; they would have finished seventh in a combined ladder: 12 wins from 21 matches, 62 points. They won 4 of 6 games in their EPCR pool [featuring La Rochelle, Wasps and Harlequins] but missed out on the European knockouts.

We did an article about it at the time, which is handy because it collected a bunch of information in one place: https://dementedmole.com/2018/12/18/sho ... ravenhill/

The long and the short of it is that in the first four months of his stint, five in-contract players decided to either retire or were laid off: Chris Henry, Jean Deysel, Pete Browne, Rodney Ah You and Schalk van der Merwe. The latter two were released from their respective contracts, and my feeling is that McFarland sat down with the other three and told them, professional to professional, that he respected what they had done in the game, but that they weren't going to feature in his plans. He hadn't signed them, he had been brought in to make significant changes, they were all on the wrong side of 30, and he wouldn't be playing them.

Not that there is any evidence of Rowntree taking the same ruthless approach, but his selections at this point of the season are worth examining closely.

His starting XV for the game against the Dragons featured nine of the same team who started Munster's QF against Toulouse last year: Haley, Earls and Zebo in the back three, then Scannell and Archer in the front row, Kleyn and Wycherley in the second row, and O'Mahony and O'Donoghue in the backrow. Chris Farrell isn't available for selection; de Allende has left the province; Josh Wycherley was away with Emerging Ireland; Kendellen is injured; Carbery was selected on the bench; and Murray wasn't selected. To put it more succinctly, 11 of the players who started their biggest game last season were available for selection, and he picked 9 of them.

Earls and Kleyn both got injured in that game and weren't available for selection for the Zebre game. The only other two changes from the starting lineup were Archer getting dropped to the bench on the occasion of his 250th Munster appearance, and Zebo getting dropped out of the squad entirely in favour of a 20 year old academy fullback playing on the left wing for the first time at pro level. Bear in mind that Zebo is the only available Munster back that Mike Prendergast has any significant experience of coaching previously, having had him for two years at Racing [he has previously coached Chris Farrell at Grenoble as well].

You can overthink some selections as an on-looker and someone familiar with the influences of the Irish coaching staff on provincial selections. Sometimes things are what they appear to be. In this instance, iIf Peter O'Mahony, who played 220 minutes over three tests against New Zealand this summer, is available for selection, it's very likely that Joey Carbery [62 minutes] is as well. If Tadhg Beirne [219 mins in NZ] is available, Conor Murray [30 mins] probably is too. Carbery and Murray are Farrell's back-up halfbacks, and they may be Rowntree's too.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

hugonaut wrote: October 2nd, 2022, 8:58 pm You can overthink some selections as an on-looker and someone familiar with the influences of the Irish coaching staff on provincial selections. Sometimes things are what they appear to be. In this instance, iIf Peter O'Mahony, who played 220 minutes over three tests against New Zealand this summer, is available for selection, it's very likely that Joey Carbery [62 minutes] is as well. If Tadhg Beirne [219 mins in NZ] is available, Conor Murray [30 mins] probably is too. Carbery and Murray are Farrell's back-up halfbacks, and they may be Rowntree's too.
Its still very early so we can't be sure yet. Joe Schmidt picked others at 10 for a number of weeks ahead of Sexton in his first year even though Sexton was available.

If I recall correctly this was because Sexton needed more time to understand the way Schmidt wanted to play before being put in at a position that controls a lot of the team.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

If I was the Munster coach I think I’d only be happy with about three or four positions in my first choice 15. Beirne, POM, Coombes, and maybe Conway. I’m a big fan of Casey but I’d like to see him really demand the starting jersey and get the team playing to his tempo. Some good players like Haley and Earls are dotted around the team but there’s a general lack of quality and quite frankly some positions are just a mess.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's hard to be sure of patterns 3 rounds into a new season on a new schedule.

https://all.rugby/match/18098/urc-2022- ... ff-munster

Looking at the pack we've seen 4 players with 3 starts, 2 players with a start and then the Emerging Ireland tour, 1 injury (Kleyn) and rotating tightheads with Knox being the new Ryan.

That'll probably be the pattern. Rotating props, 5 of the other 6 fairly settled with Beirne, Coombes and POM rotating in as available. Then a little bit more rotation at 7 with Kendellen and Hodnett there and most of the other backrows able to play there.

The timing worked out perfectly for Kendellen being available as POM returned.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

“That’s one thing that’s coming through very quickly and I’m looking to force it through, is the youth. We’ve got a good academy and I’m looking at putting these guys through as quickly as is possible.”
One very easy win for Rowntree is to just keep giving young guys chances.

It's a simple narrative for him to communicate and it'll give him plenty of grace from media & fans if he continues to do it (within reason).

https://www.the42.ie/munster-rugby-10-5882305-Oct2022/
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Looking at the current crop of young players coming through, there are a good number who look like they could go on to collect international caps, and some that may well go on to have a large number.

1: J Wycherley
2: Barron, Buckley
3: Knox, Salanoa
4/5: Edogbo, Ahern
6/7/8: Hodnett, O Sullivan, Coombes, Quinn, Kendellan, Okeke
9: Casey, PP
10: Healy, Crowley
11/14/15: Campbell, Nash, Philips
12/13: this is an area of concern and should be a main priority for the academy.

This list is not a given of course, some may never live up to their potential, whereas others not on the list could burst through under the radar.
I am also fully aware that having a group of talented youngsters does not automatically translate to success.
But it does highlight the how strong a group of players 24 and under that is at the disposal of the Munster coaches, and is probably the most talented group of young players Munster have had since the early 00s.

Under the right coaches Munster could well make their way back to the top table.
Munster have a great foundation to build on, which for me is a cause for optimism.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

wixfjord wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 9:24 am
“That’s one thing that’s coming through very quickly and I’m looking to force it through, is the youth. We’ve got a good academy and I’m looking at putting these guys through as quickly as is possible.”
One very easy win for Rowntree is to just keep giving young guys chances.

It's a simple narrative for him to communicate and it'll give him plenty of grace from media & fans if he continues to do it (within reason).

https://www.the42.ie/munster-rugby-10-5882305-Oct2022/
"...and I’m looking at putting these guys through as quickly as is possible"

Already showing that he doesn't fully understand player development. That's all wrong. You protect them but give them chances. He's telling fans what they want to hear, not talking seriously about how to develop a young squad.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:27 pm Looking at the current crop of young players coming through, there are a good number who look like they could go on to collect international caps, and some that may well go on to have a large number.

12/13: this is an area of concern and should be a main priority for the academy.

This list is not a given of course, some may never live up to their potential, whereas others not on the list could burst through under the radar.
I am also fully aware that having a group of talented youngsters does not automatically translate to success.
But it does highlight the how strong a group of players 24 and under that is at the disposal of the Munster coaches, and is probably the most talented group of young players Munster have had since the early 00s.

Under the right coaches Munster could well make their way back to the top table.
Munster have a great foundation to build on, which for me is a cause for optimism.
"Under the right coach"
Relative to recent Munster coaches, how do feel about Graham and his merry coaching team.
BTW the young players you've listed all look likely to make the grade although Salanoa and PP look like a bit of bone throwing. :wink:
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Oldschool wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 4:44 pm
munster#1 wrote: October 3rd, 2022, 12:27 pm Looking at the current crop of young players coming through, there are a good number who look like they could go on to collect international caps, and some that may well go on to have a large number.

"Under the right coach"
Relative to recent Munster coaches, how do feel about Graham and his merry coaching team.
BTW the young players you've listed all look likely to make the grade although Salanoa and PP look like a bit of bone throwing. :wink:
Well looking at the current setup, Costello and Prendergast have great track records in terms of player development.
Imo Rowntree’s experience as a player and coach has seen him exposed to a lot of different setups, so imo he jas a lot of experience to draw from when it comes to player development.

Sheridan is well placed to to assist in player psychology, and although green in this area, he has a lot of personal experience to draw from.

It is early days for these coaches as a group, but early signs are very promising, and from what I’m hearing from the camp, players have largely started with a clean slate regardless of being a first year academy player or a 90+ capped international.

I most certainly did not mean for any offence with listing Salanoa or PP, but as they are Munster contracted players, with PP having spent time in the academy, it would have been worse to omit them.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

It's early days but what we've seen so far would be classified not promising. Results, performances, consistency haven't really been there, yet. Plenty of time to partially recover.

Munster are 8 points off the pace after 3 games.

I'm not suggesting a need for alarm, but I also don't think it's realistic to say that anything we've seen so far is very promising.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Interesting to listen to Philips comments in relation to the game, he was obviously delighted with making his debut, but he also touches on the impact of a late flight home last Sunday, and an sickness in the camp which he states resulted in a reduced training week.

I haven’t heard the specifics of any illness, but it would be interesting to know who was impacted by this, and if it resulted in changes to the squad late in the week.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Some good news with Klyne and Coombes making a welcome return from injury.
It would be great to see Coombes make an appearance this weekend.

Kendellan has performed the necessary return to play protocols, but has been advised to take additional time out, which I hope is not the sign of anything sinister.

https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2022/10/04/ ... -interpro/
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

According to GT on OTB last night, Snyman is rumoured to be out until February.

At this stage, you'd have to wonder if he'll be seen in red at all or certainly if he'll come back the same player.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: October 4th, 2022, 7:20 pm According to GT on OTB last night, Snyman is rumoured to be out until February.

At this stage, you'd have to wonder if he'll be seen in red at all or certainly if he'll come back the same player.
Wow. This fellah has had some rotten luck. A mate of mine interviewed him for an academic paper a couple of years ago and said he was a super lad – polite, friendly and generous with his time. I wish him all the best with his recovery, he is clearly struggling. I hope it isn't weighing too heavily on him.

This week marks the 52nd week since his last appearance for Munster [10.10.21 vs Scarlets] ... if he's not back until February, that's an absence of a minimum of 68 weeks. His first injury occurred on 22.08.20 and he didn't make it back until 25.09.21, 57 weeks later. Tough going for anybody.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Very hard to stay positive in situations like that. He is, as you say hugo, known to be a really nice guy - he really deserves some kind of luck because he's had none
I have Bumbleflex
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

It’s a very unfortunate part of rugby.
RG is a really nice guy, and is definitely a person who is happy to give his time to anyone that stops him for a chat.

He is still a young player, and has loads of time ahead of him if he can come good.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:28 am Very hard to stay positive in situations like that. He is, as you say hugo, known to be a really nice guy - he really deserves some kind of luck because he's had none
He's had a lot of luck and it's all been bad.

As Hank said.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

fourthirtythree wrote: October 5th, 2022, 4:06 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: October 5th, 2022, 10:28 am Very hard to stay positive in situations like that. He is, as you say hugo, known to be a really nice guy - he really deserves some kind of luck because he's had none
He's had a lot of luck and it's all been bad.

As Hank said.
I feel really bad for the lad, an absolute nightmare.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Having watched the first 2 emerging Ireland matches, I have been impressed by Salanoa.

His scrummaging has definitely come along, but so too has his engine.
Having seen him play for Shannon, he seemed like he was very unfit, but his injury free run looks to have allowed him to improve his fitness levels.

With Knox also starting to look like a solid scrummager, I think I may have jumped the gun in getting annoyed at Rowntree for not looking for backup at TH.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Munster:

Joey Carbery; Conor Phillips, Malakai Fekitoa, Dan Goggin, Patrick Campbell; Ben Healy, Conor Murray; Dave Kilcoyne, Niall Scannell, Keynan Knox; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Jack O’Donoghue, Peter O’Mahony (C), Gavin Coombes.

Replacements: Scott Buckley, Jeremy Loughman, Stephen Archer, Edwin Edogbo, Jack O’Sullivan, Craig Casey, Rory Scannell, Fionn Gibbons.

Connacht

15. Conor Fitzgerald (55)
14. John Porch (62)
13. Byron Ralston (3)
12. David Hawkshaw (3)
11. Mack Hansen (16)
10. Jack Carty (180) (C)
9. Kieran Marmion (212)
1. Denis Buckley (211)
2. Dave Heffernan (168)
3. Finlay Bealham (176)
4. Gavin Thornbury (65)
5. Oisín Dowling (27)
6. Shamus Hurley-Langton (3)
7. Conor Oliver (43)
8. Jarrad Butler (97)

16. Grant Stewart (1)
17. Peter Dooley (3)
18. Jack Aungier (34)
19. Niall Murray (37)
20. Josh Murphy (3)
21. Colm Reilly (10)
22. Tom Daly (63)
23. Paul Boyle (75)

Two fairly well matched sides. I assume Earls/Haley/Zebo are all unavailable? That Munster backline has a patched up look to it.

Pack battle should be interesting. Connacht have some good options to come in in that department too.