Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by munster#1 »

Here’s hoping that Munster will get some shiny new toys along with their new coaching ticket.

As mentioned already, it would be great if Munster can nail down an international TH and inside centre to really bolster their squad.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by ronk

He asked for a 5 year contract as an assistant coach. He had to tell people in an interview that he was interested in the job for the public to notice that he had any ambitions at all.

Not sure where the ambition thing comes from.
The flip side of that is saying he backed himself to get a 5 year contract and publicly declared that he wanted to be a Head Coach putting his hat in the ring.
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

No every coach's trajectory is to head coach. Some are excellent unit coaches/attack/defence and want to remain and perfect that.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Morf wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:32 pm No every coach's trajectory is to head coach. Some are excellent unit coaches/attack/defence and want to remain and perfect that.
Birch has written and spoken a couple of times about how much easier it is to be an assistant coach. You can have a better relationship with the players because you don't have to pick the team or decide contracts and overall it is a far less pressurised job.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

munster#1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:15 pm Here’s hoping that Munster will get some shiny new toys along with their new coaching ticket.

As mentioned already, it would be great if Munster can nail down an international TH and inside centre to really bolster their squad.
How could you be hearing rumours on January 6th about Sheehan going to Munster when his future was sorted out before Christmas?

Bit odd. Bizarre even.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

elephantman wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:16 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 2:15 pm Here’s hoping that Munster will get some shiny new toys along with their new coaching ticket.

How could you be hearing rumours on January 6th about Sheehan going to Munster when his future was sorted out before Christmas?

Bit odd. Bizarre even.
I said that I heard that they were courting him and having discussions. No that he was going to Munster.

I also said that there was nothing confirmed in writing just something that I heard.

From what I’ve seen, it does appear that Munster did approach him, but it also turns out that I heard this information after he had already signed a new contract with Leinster.

Sorry if I offended you.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
elephantman
Knowledgeable

Post by elephantman »

munster#1 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 10:07 am Rumours doing the rounds down here that there are discussions ongoing to have Sheehan move to Munster for next season.
You posted that on January 6th.

Dan Sheehan had decided to stay at Leinster before Christmas. He had already sat down with Munster before Christmas.

So how were there “discussions ongoing” on January 6th? Munster would have known that Sheehan had signed a two year extension with Leinster.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

elephantman wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:21 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 6th, 2022, 10:07 am Rumours doing the rounds down here that there are discussions ongoing to have Sheehan move to Munster for next season.

Dan Sheehan had decided to stay at Leinster before Christmas. He had already sat down with Munster before Christmas.

So how were there “discussions ongoing” on January 6th? Munster would have known that Sheehan had signed a two year extension with Leinster.
I suspect the answer is either
1: the rumour was wrong
2: Munster were told they could still try to entice the young hooker down south even after he had signed is contract
OR my favourite
c: Sheehan and Cullen knowing that the deal had been signed decided to troll the Munster lads and "granted them an audience"

there's always the possibility that people's timelines were just off, but that's not as much fun
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

hugonaut wrote: January 18th, 2022, 9:12 pm
Morf wrote: January 18th, 2022, 7:32 pm No every coach's trajectory is to head coach. Some are excellent unit coaches/attack/defence and want to remain and perfect that.
Birch has written and spoken a couple of times about how much easier it is to be an assistant coach. You can have a better relationship with the players because you don't have to pick the team or decide contracts and overall it is a far less pressurised job.
It's a relatively common thing in soccer that coaches who are good at it and enjoy it remain first team coaches and never catch the publicity and flack from being up front. I can completely understand that but it seems somewhat less accepted in rugby.
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

Give it a rest
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Laighin Break wrote: January 19th, 2022, 7:42 am

Give it a rest
Sometimes rumours take time to spread. M#1 probably got his from a lad who heard it from a lad who heard from a lad who heard it from a guy. And it was old news when he heard it.
The good news is that a talented young player's career has been saved, for now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

In fairness, the first that anyone 'outside the bubble', as it were, heard about the new contract was on Sunday in the Sunday Times
I have Bumbleflex
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Bit odd. Bizarre even.
What I find funny is that the other provinces view Leinster's production line of players as the answer to their problems, that or signing big name NIQs.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

RoboProp wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:13 am

Bit odd. Bizarre even.
What I find funny is that the other provinces view Leinster's production line of players as the answer to their problems, that or signing big name NIQs.
Hilarious
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Bit odd. Bizarre even.
Without trying to get into a p1ssing contest, as I know that the 4 provinces are not at the exact same level, with each province signing a different number of players based on their needs.

But if anything, Leinster’s rumoured clearout of local locks whilst searching the planet for an international standard lock highlights that no team is above this practice.

Additionally, if you look across the Leinster squad, and I only mention Leinster as your post appears to suggest that Leinster are above this practice, you can see that there are a number of players from outside the Leinster academy currently on Leinster’s books.

Leinster currently have the lowest number of signings on their books and deserve massive credit for this, but to suggest that they don’t sign any players from other provinces or from abroad would be inaccurate.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Bit odd. Bizarre even.
it’s called the“there’s a shiny thing over there syndrome”
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:33 pm

Bit odd. Bizarre even.
Ah like, when you'd be playing against Clongowes back in the day and see their swimming pool. You'd immediately covet it, even though you weren't a fair swimmer so wouldn't be using it properly

Not you personally OSS, I haven't a clue what level swimmer you are :lol:
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

RoboProp wrote: January 19th, 2022, 12:42 pm
RoboProp wrote: January 19th, 2022, 11:13 am What I find funny is that the other provinces view Leinster's production line of players as the answer to their problems, that or signing big name NIQs.
Ah like, when you'd be playing against Clongowes back in the day and see their swimming pool. You'd immediately covet it, even though you weren't a fair swimmer so wouldn't be using it properly

OSS is more of a diver
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Newpark and Marian College have pools...
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

I’m proficient at not drowning