Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

munster#1
Shane Jennings

Re: Munster Rugby 2021/2022 - Search for the Holy Grail

Post by munster#1 »

It is remarkable looking at Gavin Coombes try scoring stats for Munster to date.

His try on Friday was his 20th try in just 44 appearances ( 1 try every 2.2 games), and I still have a feeling that Coombes hasn’t reached his best just yet.

For comparison, if you take his 2 direct competitors for the Irish starting position, Dorris has 7 tries in 46 appearances (1 try every 6.6 games) and Conan has 25 in 108 appearances (1 try every 4.3 games).

Whilst tries are not the only deciding factor in judging how good/bad a player is, I think that even the most bias of fans would be impressed by Coombes ability to get over the line.

I hope he goes on to become a real Irish legend.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Imagine how many tries he'd be scoring in Leinster.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

munster#1 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:54 pm It is remarkable looking at Gavin Coombes try scoring stats for Munster to date.

His try on Friday was his 20th try in just 44 appearances ( 1 try every 2.2 games), and I still have a feeling that Coombes hasn’t reached his best just yet.

For comparison, if you take his 2 direct competitors for the Irish starting position, Dorris has 7 tries in 46 appearances (1 try every 6.6 games) and Conan has 25 in 108 appearances (1 try every 4.3 games).

Whilst tries are not the only deciding factor in judging how good/bad a player is, I think that even the most bias of fans would be impressed by Coombes ability to get over the line.

Hes a fine young player no doubt. Some big calls to be made in that Irish back row.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:39 pm
munster#1 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 1:54 pm It is remarkable looking at Gavin Coombes try scoring stats for Munster to date.

Hes a fine young player no doubt. Some big calls to be made in that Irish back row.
Imo he is probably the best player that Munster have produced in the last decade.
Not only can he score tries, but his work rate is unreal.
He always has high numbers when it comes to metres made, carries, tackles etc.
He is also very good at the breakdown.

I think that Dorris and Conan are now established for Ireland, and I think that Farrell has set his stall a bit, so imo it will take an injury to Conan or Dorris before Coombes gets a start in the 6 Nations.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

munster#1 wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:42 pm
blockhead wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:39 pm

Imo he is probably the best player that Munster have produced in the last decade.
Not only can he score tries, but his work rate is unreal.
He always has high numbers when it comes to metres made, carries, tackles etc.
He is also very good at the breakdown.

I think that Dorris and Conan are now established for Ireland, and I think that Farrell has set his stall a bit, so imo it will take an injury to Conan or Dorris before Coombes gets a start in the 6 Nations.
Faz has the opportunity to do some experimentation with the Scotland and Italy games in Dublin.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Standers was 3.7 per game. 42 tries in 156 matches. I'd expect Coombes' rate to drop off a bit as he is being watched much more this season but that means he can be used as a decoy too. Ulster had him well marked last week but in one instance munster skipped him and the Ulster defence were not expecting it.

Scott Penny has 15 in 25 appearances. A 1.66 scoring rate.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

dropkick wrote: January 17th, 2022, 2:54 pm

Standers was 3.7 per game. 42 tries in 156 matches. I'd expect Coombes' rate to drop off a bit as he is being watched much more this season but that means he can be used as a decoy too. Ulster had him well marked last week but in one instance munster skipped him and the Ulster defence were not expecting it.

Scott Penny has 15 in 25 appearances. A 1.66 scoring rate.
He actually reminds me of stander, but with a higher ceiling.
He seems to have a better awareness of what is around him.

He was well marked in the Ulster game, but still ended up with the most carries and one of the highest in metres gained.
Agreed that his try scoring stats will likely be impacted going forward, but that doesn’t detract from just how good he is right now.

That is some record from Penny.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Kelleher has 4 tries in 6 games this season, 4 starts. But because he's a hooker he's averaging about 44 minutes per game.

Dan Sheehan has 6 tries in 7 appearances, averaging 38 minutes per game.

Direct comparison is limited when different players play different roles within the team.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster set to be without Niall Scannell and DDA for this weeks game.

2 big losses imo.
I would like to see Kleyn come into the starting lineup to add ballast to the scrum.

No word on Healy yet, but I do hope that he is fit and ready to go.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

ronk wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm We'll be playing a team from the other pool in the next round. Ranking determines who's at home. If we meet Munster before the final we have to play away if they finish the pool with a better seeding.

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/format/rules/
If we meet in the semi......
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

paddyor wrote:
ronk wrote: January 16th, 2022, 9:43 pm We'll be playing a team from the other pool in the next round. Ranking determines who's at home. If we meet Munster before the final we have to play away if they finish the pool with a better seeding.

https://www.epcrugby.com/champions-cup/format/rules/
If we meet in the semi......
In the current economic climate - couldn't see the IRFU letting a semi v munster be played anywhere other than the Aviva

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

5k fans either way under current restrictions.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Munster Defence Coach JP Ferreira on his way to Bath.
Was it to be expected?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

ronk wrote: January 17th, 2022, 10:47 pm 5k fans either way under current restrictions.
That restriction will be gone very soon.
Dont Panic!
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

blockhead wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:21 am Munster Defence Coach JP Ferreira on his way to Bath.
Was it to be expected?
Real shame to lose him.
The Munster defence has been one of the best parts of their game, and they have consistently had one of the best defences over the last few years.

However, this is no real surprise.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

blockhead wrote: January 18th, 2022, 10:21 am Munster Defence Coach JP Ferreira on his way to Bath.
Was it to be expected?
Yes. He was always going to go with JvG. This at least means that there's certainty so Munster can finalise a coaching structure in a timely way.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Munster will have a fairly clean start next season with all bar Rowntree leaving.

Hopefully Munster and the IRFU do a good job in building a solid coaching ticket.
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by munster#1

Munster will have a fairly clean start next season with all bar Rowntree leaving.
Would actually like Rowntree to get the head coach position. He seems ambitious and hungry. He knows the players and seems settled.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:33 am
by munster#1

Would actually like Rowntree to get the head coach position. He seems ambitious and hungry. He knows the players and seems settled.
The noise that I’m hearing is that it will be him with a DOR above him.

He is a highly experienced coach, but I really hope that he gets the right coaching team around him.
Mike Prendergast and McNamara would be exciting coaches to come in, but they shouldn’t stop there.

Bring in a top class defence coach along with at least 1 skills coach.

Costello seems to be a brilliant acquisition for the development/academy role, so I really hope they resist the temptation to bring him in as a backs coach.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 18th, 2022, 11:33 am
by munster#1

He asked for a 5 year contract as an assistant coach. He had to tell people in an interview that he was interested in the job for the public to notice that he had any ambitions at all.

Not sure where the ambition thing comes from.