Connacht 2019/20/21

Forum for the discussion of other Teams and Clubs as well as General Rugby chat.

Moderator: moderators

heno
Knowledgeable

Re: Connacht 2019/20/21

Post by heno »

Why did they go for a scrum on a penalty in the 81st minute when they were 9 points down and only had 2 tries. The penalty was very kick able. Would have got them a losing BP the same as a try would have.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Dave Cahill
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by Dave Cahill »

heno wrote:
December 22nd, 2020, 12:21 am
Why did they go for a scrum on a penalty in the 81st minute when they were 9 points down and only had 2 tries. The penalty was very kick able. Would have got them a losing BP the same as a try would have.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
It was a dreadfull call - possibly cost Connacht a place in the knockouts of the Challenge Cup - but somewhat excusable. This is an unusual season in that teams 5 - 8 in each conferance qualify for the round of 16 of the Challenge Cup. Would a relatively inexperienced captain be aware of that, or would he be thinking 'okay, we're out of europe' (meaning the champions cup) 'but lets go out swinging' and the Challenge Cup wasn't even on his radar. I think thats what happened.

You could see (and hear) O'Halloran arguing in favour of the three points, but the captain's call is the captain's call.

A young, inexperienced, Captain made a bad call, it happens (Chris Robshaw). He'll learn from it for next time.
I have Bumbleflex

Dexter
Brian O'Driscoll

Post by Dexter »

Both Jack Carty and Andrew Brace having a bit of a shocker in tonight's game!
Dont Panic!

cormac
Shane Jennings

Post by cormac »

Brace cementing his reputation as a terrible ref this evening
Look out Itchy, he's Irish

Ruckedtobits
Shane Jennings

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Dexter wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 8:05 pm
Brace yes, but not Carty in the game I watched. His choice of options in the multi-phase passage leading to Wootam's second try was precisely what Ireland need from a play maker. Connacht hustled that win against a physically stronger Cardiff team by good forward play, mixed with athe concession of ridiculous penalties and decent guidancee from their half-backs.

Dexter
Brian O'Driscoll

Post by Dexter »

Ruckedtobits wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 9:52 pm
Dexter wrote:
February 20th, 2021, 8:05 pm
Brace yes, but not Carty in the game I watched. His choice of options in the multi-phase passage leading to Wootam's second try was precisely what Ireland need from a play maker. Connacht hustled that win against a physically stronger Cardiff team by good forward play, mixed with athe concession of ridiculous penalties and decent guidancee from their half-backs.
Yes, he definitely got better, I posted that after watching the first 20 mins.
Dont Panic!

Ruckedtobits
Shane Jennings

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Conversely, I switched over from the other tepid encounter just in time to see Wootam score his first try and stayed with that to the end and then watched the Murrayfield encounter on replay with 'fast forward' - which still looked a tepid performance compared to the Connacht display.