6 Nations 2024

Post by cormac »

France v Ireland will be played in Marseille
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Re: 6 Nations 2024

Post by ronk »

Interesting idea. Certainly one to look at for the tourists.
Ray Donovan
Knowledgeable

Post by Ray Donovan »

Stade Velodrome is an amazing stadium.

Marseille is a bit of a kip. Gets a lot of sunshine though!!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ray Donovan wrote: June 16th, 2023, 6:32 pm Stade Velodrome is an amazing stadium.

Not a great story coming out of Marseilles this evening where the Ligue 1 fixture between the home team and Lyon has been postponed after the Lyon team bus was attacked and stoned with their Head Coach injured with glass in his face and head injuries.

For a country hosting the Olympics in 10 months time, France holds threats for both competitors and fans of sporting events.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: October 29th, 2023, 9:49 pm
Ray Donovan wrote: June 16th, 2023, 6:32 pm Stade Velodrome is an amazing stadium.

Not a great story coming out of Marseilles this evening where the Ligue 1 fixture between the home team and Lyon has been postponed after the Lyon team bus was attacked and stoned with their Head Coach injured with glass in his face and head injuries.

For a country hosting the Olympics in 10 months time, France holds threats for both competitors and fans of sporting events.
I worked very closely with a girl from Paris who lived in Marseilles from her account Marseilles is a very dangerous place
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 30th, 2023, 7:26 am

I worked very closely with a girl from Paris who lived in Marseilles from her account Marseilles is a very dangerous place
I heard a similar anecdote about Marseilles. It makes me sad, I always imagine the south of France to be a utopic rugby haven.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Oldschoolsocks wrote:

Marseille is a major port city: they’re often gritty places. We have a few of those places too… as does almost every country. That includes many states that have hosted Olympic Games successfully.

I’d say the bureaucracy and lacking of widespread sporting interest in Paris, will be a bigger hurdle to the judgement on how the games go in France, than public safety of that sort in the second city.

Now, on the other hand- terrorism and the mitigation through security of that type of threat may have an influence on the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
Galicia celt
Learner

Post by Galicia celt »

Who is available to replace Paul O'Connell? He is unable to fix the lineout issues. Is he over the breakdown too?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Galicia celt wrote: October 31st, 2023, 8:16 pm Who is available to replace Paul O'Connell? He is unable to fix the lineout issues. Is he over the breakdown too?
There's no need to replace Paul O'Connell. It was only the world cup and the Irish coaching staff exist in a consequence-free environment where the World Cup is concerned.
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 31st, 2023, 8:36 pm
Galicia celt wrote: October 31st, 2023, 8:16 pm Who is available to replace Paul O'Connell? He is unable to fix the lineout issues. Is he over the breakdown too?
There's no need to replace Paul O'Connell. It was only the world cup and the Irish coaching staff exist in a consequence-free environment where the World Cup is concerned.
Legends fail upwards.

He's done alright.
naraic
Mullet

Post by naraic »

POC is the forwards coach. Lineout and breakdown would normally be areas of responsibility for him. So would the maul.

Esaterby was the forwards coach before he moved sidewards to be defence coach. I feel that other than the lineout that the pack was firing well. I'd certainly consider reallocating responsibility and giving Easterby responsibility over the lineout.
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

I'll be interested to see who comes into the squad at the beginning of a fresh world cup cycle.
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

Galicia celt wrote: October 31st, 2023, 8:16 pm Who is available to replace Paul O'Connell? He is unable to fix the lineout issues.
Is there not an issue with the ability of the hookers to throw over the pressure jumper at 2? I mean in addition to the odd system error and flat out mistake?
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Logorrhea wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 9:16 am
Galicia celt wrote: October 31st, 2023, 8:16 pm Who is available to replace Paul O'Connell? He is unable to fix the lineout issues.
Is there not an issue with the ability of the hookers to throw over the pressure jumper at 2? I mean in addition to the odd system error and flat out mistake?
Sheehan and Herring are top 10 all time (since stats started) accurate Investec Cup throwers. Kelleher is okay too.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 9:32 am
Logorrhea wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 9:16 am
Sheehan and Herring are top 10 all time (since stats started) accurate Investec Cup throwers. Kelleher is okay too.
Having looked closely at the NZ & SA games, our worst statistical performances, the line-out calls were not optimum and both of those teams clearly put a premium on winning the ball, even if the majority are from No 2, rather than calling "riskier" options which optimise attacking balls. I suspect J10 had some input into where he'd like to get ball from and 5 or 6 would be his premium options.

Technically, on opposition line-outs, both NZ & SA 'launch' Retallick & PSdT I.e. they throw them up and lifters don't maintain contact throughout. This is not something we have ever done with PO'M and maybe it's necessary at the very top level.

Finally, in terms of future development I've called on these Boards for Leinster to work on Baird's development in the PO'M mould. It was clear at the weekend that Connacht have already decided to go this route with Prendergast and he robbed two Glasgow throws magnificently in his own half, one of which led directly to a Connacht try.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

The hookers have changed, the jumpers have changed, the lifters have changed.

Only the coach and the outcome remain the same
I have Bumbleflex
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Dave Cahill wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 7:31 pm The hookers have changed, the jumpers have changed, the lifters have changed.

The opposition changed too
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

ronk wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 7:53 pm
Dave Cahill wrote: November 3rd, 2023, 7:31 pm The hookers have changed, the jumpers have changed, the lifters have changed.

The opposition changed too
Thats very true.
I have Bumbleflex
offshorerules
Seán Cronin

Post by offshorerules »

Thought Sheehan did well yesterday in his role of captain. Raises the question of who will be captain for the 6N's?
"POC will not be going to Toulon" - All Blacks nil » May 27th, 2015, 12:18 am
FtD
Mullet

Post by FtD »

offshorerules wrote: November 13th, 2023, 8:16 am Thought Sheehan did well yesterday in his role of captain. Raises the question of who will be captain for the 6N's?
I'd say O'Mahony for the 6N. If not him, then James Ryan IMO.