Lansdowne Road Music Choice

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

suisse
Shane Jennings

Lansdowne Road Music Choice

Post by suisse »

As we all know, Gerry Thornley has regularly taken aim at some Irish fans for the Aviva atmosphere and for the culture of arriving late or buying pints. So it really surprised me to hear him yesterday complimenting the decision to play Freed From Desire at full time. I thought it was an appalling decision yet Thornley seemed to bask in the hope that this Irish rugby's new anthem.

During his performance on OTB, he laid out perfectly well why Saturday's win was a once-in-a-lifetime moment. A first grand slam in Dublin, only the 4th ever, Johnny Sexton's last 6N game, the WPOTY leading out the team on his 50th cap, against England, on St Patrick's Day. And yet, Freed From Desire was the right choice to end that sequence? Seriously?

Not only is the song terrible, but it has no relevance or significance to Ireland, Irish rugby or Irish culture. It has no place being played in an Irish stadium after a momentous Irish win. My father is 72. He's been going to Lansdowne Road since 1964. He waited most of his life for a moment like that on Saturday. How are people like him supposed to react to the moment when that song comes on? It hasn't been played before. It's a song he and many others probably never heard of. Suddenly, this 30 year old Eurotrash dance is the anthem of Irish rugby :lol:

An island globally renowned for music settles for Freed for Desire. Trash
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: A whiff of Cordite

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

suisse wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:13 pm As we all know, Gerry Thornley has regularly taken aim at some Irish fans for the Aviva atmosphere and for the culture of arriving late or buying pints. So it really surprised me to hear him yesterday complimenting the decision to play Freed From Desire at full time. I thought it was an appalling decision yet Thornley seemed to bask in the hope that this Irish rugby's new anthem.

During his performance on OTB, he laid out perfectly well why Saturday's win was a once-in-a-lifetime moment. A first grand slam in Dublin, only the 4th ever, Johnny Sexton's last 6N game, the WPOTY leading out the team on his 50th cap, against England, on St Patrick's Day. And yet, Freed From Desire was the right choice to end that sequence? Seriously?

Not only is the song terrible, but it has no relevance or significance to Ireland, Irish rugby or Irish culture. It has no place being played in an Irish stadium after a momentous Irish win. My father is 72. He's been going to Lansdowne Road since 1964. He waited most of his life for a moment like that on Saturday. How are people like him supposed to react to the moment when that song comes on? It hasn't been played before. It's a song he and many others probably never heard of. Suddenly, this 30 year old Eurotrash dance is the anthem of Irish rugby :lol:

this
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 21st, 2023, 1:21 pm
suisse wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:13 pm As we all know, Gerry Thornley has regularly taken aim at some Irish fans for the Aviva atmosphere and for the culture of arriving late or buying pints. So it really surprised me to hear him yesterday complimenting the decision to play Freed From Desire at full time. I thought it was an appalling decision yet Thornley seemed to bask in the hope that this Irish rugby's new anthem.

this
100% ditto. Where's the puke emoji, when you need him?

On another note, for me the best bit of OTB's MNR yesterday was hearing Andy Dunne's take on the Steward red card. At the time I was straight-up convinced, that it was a deliberate shot to the head and a red card all day, every day. After we won, however, and I read or heard all the English pundits moaning and saying the poor hoor had been hard done by, I began to wonder, if I had perhaps allowed my green jersey to cloud my judgement. For that reason, I was delighted to hear AD confirm the correctness of my initial estimation and state categorically, that for him it was an out-an-out cheap shot, made to look as if he couldn't do anything else. Dunne dismissed Thornley's interjection, that Steward only had 0.6 of a second to react, pointing out, that a professional boxer can throw a punch in less than that. Fair play to Andy Dunne. He's gone up in my estimation.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

this
Agreed.
"Come out ye Black'n'Tans" would have been much more appropriate.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

blockhead wrote: March 21st, 2023, 2:05 pm

this
Agreed.
"Come out ye Black'n'Tans" would have been much more appropriate.
Or Celtic Symphony :twisted:

..... runs and hides
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

suisse wrote:As we all know, Gerry Thornley has regularly taken aim at some Irish fans for the Aviva atmosphere and for the culture of arriving late or buying pints. So it really surprised me to hear him yesterday complimenting the decision to play Freed From Desire at full time. I thought it was an appalling decision yet Thornley seemed to bask in the hope that this Irish rugby's new anthem.

Not only is the song terrible, but it has no relevance or significance to Ireland, Irish rugby or Irish culture. It has no place being played in an Irish stadium after a momentous Irish win. My father is 72. He's been going to Lansdowne Road since 1964. He waited most of his life for a moment like that on Saturday. How are people like him supposed to react to the moment when that song comes on? It hasn't been played before. It's a song he and many others probably never heard of. Suddenly, this 30 year old Eurotrash dance is the anthem of Irish rugby Image

Have been going to Lansdowne Road for almost as long as your Father.
Couldn't have given a 5hite what music they played in the Aviva after the game on Saturday night, would have stayed there all night listening to Daniel O'Donnell if I was let.
Just grateful to have been there to witness a memorable occasion.
(P. S. ran into the team outside the Shelbourne at about 1am - guess what they were singing "Freed from desire")

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Barry wrote: March 21st, 2023, 3:27 pm
suisse wrote:As we all know, Gerry Thornley has regularly taken aim at some Irish fans for the Aviva atmosphere and for the culture of arriving late or buying pints. So it really surprised me to hear him yesterday complimenting the decision to play Freed From Desire at full time. I thought it was an appalling decision yet Thornley seemed to bask in the hope that this Irish rugby's new anthem.

Not only is the song terrible, but it has no relevance or significance to Ireland, Irish rugby or Irish culture. It has no place being played in an Irish stadium after a momentous Irish win. My father is 72. He's been going to Lansdowne Road since 1964. He waited most of his life for a moment like that on Saturday. How are people like him supposed to react to the moment when that song comes on? It hasn't been played before. It's a song he and many others probably never heard of. Suddenly, this 30 year old Eurotrash dance is the anthem of Irish rugby Image

Couldn't have given a 5hite what music they played in the Aviva after the game on Saturday night, would have stayed there all night listening to Daniel O'Donnell if I was let.
(P. S. ran into the team outside the Shelbourne at about 1am - guess what they were singing "Freed from desire")

Yep that would be my take. I would have given my left hand to be there and they could have played "Nails on a blackboard" and not a single f%~k would have been given.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Barry wrote: March 21st, 2023, 3:27 pm

There are limits Barry, but you Sir are a true Patriot!
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
ustix
Bookworm

Post by ustix »

Dhera, lighten up.
Tis a top tune and you know it is.
The times they are a changing.
That which does not bend breaks
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I have a strong belief that it's a great track.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

“My lovers got no money he’s got a trampoline” - what’s not to like?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

I'm proud of my team using an anti consumerist anthem.
Schumi
Enlightened

Post by Schumi »

Just be grateful that we're not still in the Black Eyed Peas era.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

suisse wrote: March 21st, 2023, 12:13 pm My father is 72. He's been going to Lansdowne Road since 1964. He waited most of his life for a moment like that on Saturday. How are people like him supposed to react to the moment when that song comes on? It hasn't been played before. It's a song he and many others probably never heard of.
So yer auld lad was 46 when this banger of a tune was released? Jaysus he should be ashamed of himself for not recognising and busting a few moves to it after the final whistle on Sat.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

TIL

Usage in association football
The song has been used as a football chant by fans of Bohemian FC as far back as April 2011, where at a game away to Sligo Rovers it was sung with the lyrics amended to "The Bohs have got no money, we've got a bag of E's." (Ecstasy) Reference was made to the chant in the Irish Independent at the time, who wrote "For 45 minutes the visiting fans -- who clearly planned around dry Good Friday -- roared out 1990s dance classic 'Freed From Desire' seemingly oblivious to their team being dismantled on the park"[10] and was recorded by Sligo Rovers fans in the opposite stand. [11]
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

I watched the game in a jam packed Camden bar with a median age of ~27 I reckon.

At the end of the game they cut the broadcast audio and, by coincidence, also played Freed from Desire.

The entire place sang, danced, jumped, chanted and overall it added to the celebrations.

It is impossible to deny the song is a feel good song designed to get the listener moving and it clearly adds to an already elated atmosphere.

It's an easy song to chant to, you can easily sub in any words you see fit (see the Bohs version above or Will Griggs on Fire) meaning there is an added layer of enjoyment as personally tailoring it or having private jokes with your mates.

Anyone who sees this song as something that actively detracted from their enjoyment of the occasion I submit to you..... lighten up.
He's gotten awfully fond of that brick
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Its a shite song, doesn’t mean it took from the occasion
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:11 pm Its a shite song, doesn’t mean it took from the occasion
No.

In your opinion it's a shite song.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

arsebiscuits1 wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:29 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 2:11 pm Its a shite song, doesn’t mean it took from the occasion
Yes indeed.

Objectively it's a shite song.
FTFY 🧐
arsebiscuits1
Mullet

Post by arsebiscuits1 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 3:13 pm
FTFY 🧐
Don't misquote me.

And until you want to park your utter arrogance over a blatantly subjective matter then the conversation is over.