Get AVIVA Match Day Atmosphere to A&E ASAP!!

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Get AVIVA Match Day Atmosphere to A&E ASAP!!

Post by Dexter »

Whatever about the pros and cons being discussed here, I personally found it a bit cringy when we were drowned out by the French supporters last week. Even their booing was very loud and vocal!!
I remember the England game a few years ago, I think they were going for the slam, it was the only time I've been in Havelock Square end in the new stadium and it's a great place to hear/feel the atmosphere from the rest of the stadium. Every time the English supporters tried to get the Chariots going they were immediately and loudly drowned out.
That was an evening game under floodlights, I wonder is that a factor.
Dont Panic!
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

I don't understand the point about being drowned out by away supporters.

That happens in any big game where there's a lot at stake across all sports.

A small group of away fans on a jolly often have a much louder voice than home fans for quite a few reasons.

I can think of multiple Leinster home games where opposing fans have done that. I can think of multiple Leinster away games where we've done that.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

wixfjord wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:24 pm I don't understand the point about being drowned out by away supporters.

A small group of away fans on a jolly often have a much louder voice than home fans for quite a few reasons.

I can think of multiple Leinster home games where opposing fans have done that. I can think of multiple Leinster away games where we've done that.
You only have to look at some of the home comments from Gloucester at the number and noise from the Leinster support.

On the broader question, and at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old geezer, I think Lansdowne in particular has suffered from the removal of the terraces (part of the reason I would be very keen that a revamped RDS keeps a terrace). The "old atmosphere" in LR came from the terraces - even back then there would be a lot of comments about the "corporate crowd in sheepskin jackets sitting in the stands making no noise". So it's nothing new.

Also, with terraces, there were the old schools allocation and section. Between the terraces and the schoolkid terrace, you had accessible tickets at low end pricing that tended to be a generally younger, more vocal crowd.
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

backrower8 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:31 pm Greg O'Shea has a commercial audience dedicated to rugby. Nuff said.
So if Greg O'Shea says it, then it must be true.

I see where you're coming from.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

wixfjord wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:24 pm I don't understand the point about being drowned out by away supporters.

Just a personal opinion. It's great when Leinster fans do it at away games though...
Dont Panic!
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

The Doc wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:41 pm
You only have to look at some of the home comments from Gloucester at the number and noise from the Leinster support.

On the broader question, and at the risk of sounding like a grumpy old geezer, I think Lansdowne in particular has suffered from the removal of the terraces (part of the reason I would be very keen that a revamped RDS keeps a terrace). The "old atmosphere" in LR came from the terraces - even back then there would be a lot of comments about the "corporate crowd in sheepskin jackets sitting in the stands making no noise". So it's nothing new.

Also, with terraces, there were the old schools allocation and section. Between the terraces and the schoolkid terrace, you had accessible tickets at low end pricing that tended to be a generally younger, more vocal crowd.
100% correct.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

hugonaut wrote: February 17th, 2023, 11:37 pm
The Doc wrote: February 17th, 2023, 2:41 pm

100% correct.
I was a terrace dweller for 2 decades at the old Lansdowne and I'm struggling to understand where this fabled electric atmosphere people talk about was. There's be a non-descript roar when we kicked off or occasionally in a moment of exciting play. If we were winning you might get the occasional " Molly" but generally that was about it. I remember a powerful rendition of the Fields when we came out after half time in that game we blew vs the All Blacks but honestly I think there's some rose tinted glasses going on here.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

blockhead wrote: February 17th, 2023, 3:04 pm
backrower8 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:31 pm Greg O'Shea has a commercial audience dedicated to rugby. Nuff said.
So if Greg O'Shea says it, then it must be true.

I see where you're coming from.
Good lad, then can you see this too...I rate him over a d!%khead en bloc
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Is this Love Island's Greg O'Shea? Or a different mediawhore?
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

fourthirtythree wrote: February 21st, 2023, 8:15 pm Is this Love Island's Greg O'Shea? Or a different mediawhore?
The use of the term mediawhore to make your argument speaks volumes about you.

Yes this is O'Shea of Love Island, of Crescent College (JCT X 2; SCT X 1), of UL Law Degree, of Ireland 7s international, also the gainfully employed Rugby Joe.ie presenter. Who are you btw?

O'Shea agrees with other posters here and other people in the national rugby media that the atmosphere in the Aviva is soely lacking.

What's your point about him? Do you have a point to make, or are you a wee WUM-man?
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

backrower8 wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 10:57 am
fourthirtythree wrote: February 21st, 2023, 8:15 pm Is this Love Island's Greg O'Shea? Or a different mediawhore?

Yes this is O'Shea of Love Island, of Crescent College (JCT X 2; SCT X 1), of UL Law Degree, of Ireland 7s international, also the gainfully employed Rugby Joe.ie presenter. Who are you btw?

O'Shea agrees with other posters here and other people in the national rugby media that the atmosphere in the Aviva is soely lacking.

What's your point about him? Do you have a point to make, or are you a wee WUM-man?
Meeeow!
You really like Greg O'Shea,.
Had a look at this Joe podcast.
Lindsay Peat "the atmosphere was absolutley electric, wasn't it Greg". "Yeah" responds Greg.

So even your hero disagrees with you.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Jeez petal, take a deep breath, count to ten and put the keyboard down.

A real rugby guy should he able to take it on the chin…
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 5:31 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this but (for probably the first and quite possibly the last time ever) I agree with BR8 to a certain extent :shock:

How is it fair to describe Greg O'Shea as a mediawhore when the same term is not applied to BOD, Darce, Heaslip, O'Callaghan, Cave, Ferris, Kearney, Keatley or the countless others who have transitioned from playing the game into commentating on the game?
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Xanthippe wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 5:53 pm

I can't believe I'm saying this but (for probably the first and quite possibly the last time ever) I agree with BR8 to a certain extent :shock:

How is it fair to describe Greg O'Shea as a mediawhore when the same term is not applied to BOD, Darce, Heaslip, O'Callaghan, Cave, Ferris, Kearney, Keatley or the countless others who have transitioned from playing the game into commentating on the game?
Yeah, that’s mad.

It’s just not in character for BR8 to be reverting to childish namecalling, I am actually a concerned for the chap (a lil lil bit)
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Xanthippe wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 5:53 pm

It was very brave of you to stick your neck out there Xanthippe and agree with me for the first time in over 1,300 posts. I hope it doesn't ruin your rep and that you wind it safely back in before any harm comes to you. :wink:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ah surely a legend of this forum such as your sardonic self you can do better than that? :roll:
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

blockhead wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 11:41 am

Meeeow!
You really like Greg O'Shea,.
Had a look at this Joe podcast.
Lindsay Peat "the atmosphere was absolutley electric, wasn't it Greg". "Yeah" responds Greg.

So even your hero disagrees with you.
:lol: So you actually went off to listen to the podcast for material to win the argument...or were you just listening to Greg & Lindsay anyway.. as you do like? #rentfree :?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 6:20 pm

Ah surely a legend of this forum such as your sardonic self you can do better than that? :roll:
I’m actually recognising symptoms of hypertension in your posts, do whatever you want with the advice…
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 7:08 pm

I’m actually recognising symptoms of hypertension in your posts, do whatever you want with the advice…
I am withdrawing from engaging with you. I apologise to both you and your parents for previous robust exchanges, but I had not identified the mental age issue before now.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: February 24th, 2023, 9:54 am
Oldschoolsocks wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 7:08 pm

I am withdrawing from engaging with you. I apologise to both you and your parents for previous robust exchanges, but I had not identified the mental age issue before now.
Oh dear, if this is what is produced by one of the most privileged and exclusive schools in the state I can only thank my parents for my bog standard state funded education…