6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Re: 6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Post by Dave Cahill »

Osbourne would be my third choice to start at 12.

McCloskey, fourth.
I have Bumbleflex
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

wixfjord wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:01 pm Darce calling for Osborne to start against Wales.

Says he 'deserves his spot based just purely on his last two rounds of matches'.

That's the sort of thing that if Quinlan said about a Munster player we'd go mad.

Osborne is a brilliant player and will be a test starter. But McCloskey more than deserves the 12 jersey.
So's Hugh Farrelly tbf

https://extra.ie/2023/01/30/sport/rugby ... -hype-2023
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by StopTheLights

Agreed, I think the calls for Osbourne to start are a little premature. His time will come no doubt, but McCloskey has the upper hand for the moment. Although I wonder is D’arcy playing the role of media personality a bit better these days, saying certain things just to illicit comment!
Big fan of Osbourne and McCloskey but Aki would be my choice for the number 12 shirt. If we are going to play an undercooked Sexton and Furlong we can play an undercooked Aki as well.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

paddyor wrote: January 30th, 2023, 10:33 pm
wixfjord wrote: January 30th, 2023, 9:01 pm Darce calling for Osborne to start against Wales.

Says he 'deserves his spot based just purely on his last two rounds of matches'.

That's the sort of thing that if Quinlan said about a Munster player we'd go mad.

Osborne is a brilliant player and will be a test starter. But McCloskey more than deserves the 12 jersey.
So's Hugh Farrelly tbf

https://extra.ie/2023/01/30/sport/rugby ... -hype-2023
Don't see Osborne mentioned there, but also and far more importantly...Hugh Farrelly...
suisse
Shane Jennings

Post by suisse »

I remember despising Hugh Farrelly when he wrote for the Indo. Couldn't believe they'd hire, as their rugby correspondent, such a sad, bitter and biased fanboy writer. I completely forgot he existed until recently. The best thing about him writing for whatever Extra is and his weekend rag, they are two publications I never have to read. Out of sight, out of mind for Farrelly.
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 7:44 am
by StopTheLights

Agreed, I think the calls for Osbourne to start are a little premature. His time will come no doubt, but McCloskey has the upper hand for the moment. Although I wonder is D’arcy playing the role of media personality a bit better these days, saying certain things just to illicit comment!
Big fan of Osbourne and McCloskey but Aki would be my choice for the number 12 shirt. If we are going to play an undercooked Sexton and Furlong we can play an undercooked Aki as well.
Don't understand the groundswell of support for Aki tbh. McCloskey was the player starting in the AIs. Aki has been very lightly raced since. Don’t see how there is a form or logic argument for going with Aki. That’s quite apart from his tackle technique. Ireland have received 6 red cards (I think) in International rugby, Aki has 2 of them, both for poor tackles. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.... Referees now have an even greater focus on that area than ever before. Aki’s inability, seeming, to learn from past mistakes would drop him right down the pecking order for me. Get that he is a big personality and that has benefits for the squad,but he's a massive red card risk every time he plays. Why take that risk when there are better options available? Think McCloskey has much better hands and passing, for me that is the key function for your 12 in attack, fixing the defenders and facilitating those outside you. SMcC excels at getting his hands free in the tackle and offloading, could add another dimension to the playing style. Ball rarely dies with him, he runs straight and doesn't crab. VDF and Doris steaming through on his shoulders could really add something. SmcC is a very solid defender as well as being good for those around him, didn't think he got enough credit for babysitting Crowley into the game against Australia, we played a fair bit off 12 that day. McCloskey has been one of the few bright lights for Ulster during their dip.

A lot depends on how Osbourne goes in training. Hansen came out of nowhere to start so Farrell has form if a guy impresses enough & both Farrell and Catt know a good centre when they see one but I think the best option all told is McCloskey.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

suisse wrote: January 31st, 2023, 9:52 am I remember despising Hugh Farrelly when he wrote for the Indo. Couldn't believe they'd hire, as their rugby correspondent, such a sad, bitter and biased fanboy writer. I completely forgot he existed until recently. The best thing about him writing for whatever Extra is and his weekend rag, they are two publications I never have to read. Out of sight, out of mind for Farrelly.
The core tenet of the article is that Ireland should change up a load of positions using the mantra of "don't know, let's find out". Somehow it'll either work or not, but we need to do it because of the World Cup.
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

TMC wrote: January 31st, 2023, 10:26 am
by StopTheLights

Don't understand the groundswell of support for Aki tbh. McCloskey was the player starting in the AIs. Aki has been very lightly raced since. Don’t see how there is a form or logic argument for going with Aki. That’s quite apart from his tackle technique. Ireland have received 6 red cards (I think) in International rugby, Aki has 2 of them, both for poor tackles. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice.... Referees now have an even greater focus on that area than ever before. Aki’s inability, seeming, to learn from past mistakes would drop him right down the pecking order for me. Get that he is a big personality and that has benefits for the squad,but he's a massive red card risk every time he plays. Why take that risk when there are better options available? Think McCloskey has much better hands and passing, for me that is the key function for your 12 in attack, fixing the defenders and facilitating those outside you. SMcC excels at getting his hands free in the tackle and offloading, could add another dimension to the playing style. Ball rarely dies with him, he runs straight and doesn't crab. VDF and Doris steaming through on his shoulders could really add something. SmcC is a very solid defender as well as being good for those around him, didn't think he got enough credit for babysitting Crowley into the game against Australia, we played a fair bit off 12 that day. McCloskey has been one of the few bright lights for Ulster during their dip.

A lot depends on how Osbourne goes in training. Hansen came out of nowhere to start so Farrell has form if a guy impresses enough & both Farrell and Catt know a good centre when they see one but I think the best option all told is McCloskey.
The last 2 six nations were pretty much dictated by reds and to a lesser degree yellows. I reckon Aki is good for at least a yellow over the course of a 6 Nations, a red is potentially the losing a game and championship
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by TMC

There is a reason why Aki has 41 caps and McCloskey has 8. That said I won't be wailing into the night if McClosley gets picked. For the Wales games I'd like a big unit in at 12 as I think Gatland will do the whole Warrenball approach. Osbourne's time will come but this is a game to soon imo.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 11:21 am
by TMC

There is a reason why Aki has 41 caps and McCloskey has 8. That said I won't be wailing into the night if McClosley gets picked. For the Wales games I'd like a big unit in at 12 as I think Gatland will do the whole Warrenball approach. Osbourne's time will come but this is a game to soon imo.
Aki is a much better player in my mind. Big Stu does what he does and should play a part in the squad but Aki was a Lion, Stu doesn't get anywhere near that level.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

Wales: Halfpenny; Adams, North, Hawkins, Dyer; Biggar, T Williams; G Thomas, Owens (capt), Francis, Beard, Alun Wyn Jones, Morgan, Tipuric, Faletau.

Replacements: Baldwin, Carre, Lewis, Jenkins, Reffell, Webb, O Williams, Cuthbert.

This is not a 2013 Welsh reunion, this is the actual team.....
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

by StopTheLights

Do you think there is a limit to the number of undercooked players we should start, or not?
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Flash Gordon wrote: January 31st, 2023, 12:26 pm Wales: Halfpenny; Adams, North, Hawkins, Dyer; Biggar, T Williams; G Thomas, Owens (capt), Francis, Beard, Alun Wyn Jones, Morgan, Tipuric, Faletau.

Replacements: Baldwin, Carre, Lewis, Jenkins, Reffell, Webb, O Williams, Cuthbert.

This is not a 2013 Welsh reunion, this is the actual team.....
A lot of solidity and experience there, but not a huge amount of athleticism besides Tipuric/Faletau/Dyer.

Dewi Lake is a huge loss for them here.

Our set piece will be tested and Reffell/Tipuric will test our ruck.

But overall the 23 we can put out should be far more dynamic and our attack should be much better drilled.

Francis v Porter will be interesting.

Ringer will be licking his lips at taking on that centre duo.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

According to Ultimate Rugby, 1st centre Joe Hawkins of Ospreys is 20 years old, 6 ft and 99 kgs. Jamie Osborne is 21, 6 ft 4 & 97kgs

Is Warren tempting Faz to play another rookie @ 12...or is Hawkins the clear #1 for Wales
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by backrower8

Do you think there is a limit to the number of undercooked players we should start, or not?
That's up to Farrell. :lol:
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by Flash Gordon

Wales: Halfpenny; Adams, North, Hawkins, Dyer; Biggar, T Williams; G Thomas, Owens (capt), Francis, Beard, Alun Wyn Jones, Morgan, Tipuric, Faletau.

I am curious to see the win ratio Wales have with North playing 13 as I can't imagine it's very high. He never seems to stand out in that position.
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

sunshiner1 wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:19 pm
by Flash Gordon

I am curious to see the win ratio Wales have with North playing 13 as I can't imagine it's very high. He never seems to stand out in that position.
He's only moved there since the other options faded and Wales have been a bit gack in that time, so it's probably pretty awful.
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

by Flash Gordon

Wasn't he the 13 in 2021 when they won it?
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

OneLungDavy wrote: January 31st, 2023, 1:27 pm
by Flash Gordon

Wasn't he the 13 in 2021 when they won it?
That's the year the opposition player getting a red card was their MVP :lol:
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

riocard911 wrote:Forget the acrimony, Irish rugby owes Warren Gatland a belated ‘thanks’

Before the fallout over dropping O’Driscoll and not picking Sexton, Ireland’s golden period started with the Kiwi coach

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... ed-thanks/

I remember Gatland appearing on the Late Late a couple of months after the 2013 BIL tour to Oz and being impressed, firstly because he didn't have to do it, but did, and secondly because he came across very well.
Would it really be belated? I dont think Ive ever met an Irish rugby fan who doesnt think he was hugely important in turning things round after 1999.

Not that Ive asked all of them!