Moderator: moderators

wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: 6 Nations 2023 - Ireland

Post by wixfjord »

allezlesverres wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:00 am
wixfjord wrote: February 5th, 2023, 1:57 pm
Would also start Aki and bench Larmour.

I think if we’re to beat France we’ll need all the power we can muster in the first 60 and then hit them with a few punches in the last 20.
I don't think replacing 17st mccloskey with 16st aki brings any increase in power. Aki is certainly more aggressive in the tackle but I don't see that as a huge advantage anymore. I'd far rather have mccloskey being unglamorous and steady in defence but with zero risk of getting a card. You can't bench larmour because then you've no centre cover in the subs.

I'd select pretty much the same team. Perhaps Henderson for POM and beirne to 6. You could still have POM on the bench because with 3 locks in the starting side you don't need a lock on the bench. You could bench 2 of conan, Coombes, and POM. If furlong recovers I'd be tempted to bench him and ask him for a big impact for the last 30 mins.
You deleted the bit of my post where I referred to the forward changes I'd make for some reason?

But more importantly, weight isn't the same thing as power.

McCloskey was good at the weekend. Aki had a good cameo when he came in and for me is more likely to have an impact against a bigger French side.

Saying 'you can't bench larmour because then you've no centre cover in the subs' doesn't make any sense. Aki was the 23 at the weekend and we had no winger cover in the subs.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

I really can’t see Ireland making many changes for the France game.
Ireland are a very conservative team, and are very unlikely to look for changes, especially after a strong victory against Wales.

I’d imagine that any changes will be injury enforced or if JGP and Healy make a return.

Next week will be a massive test for Ireland, France will not be an east team to beat, and they will likely look to target our set piece which will be under pressure.

My only hope is that home advantage will be enough to give Ireland an edge.
If we beat France, we are looking at a strong chance of winning the 6 nations and even the grand slam.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Furlong, JGP & Healy confirmed out of France game.

Sexton & Kelleher seem to be good to go.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: February 6th, 2023, 2:01 pm Furlong, JGP & Healy confirmed out of France game.

Sexton & Kelleher seem to be good to go.
Plus Milne and Blade called into camp.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

wixfjord wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:52 am
Saying 'you can't bench larmour because then you've no centre cover in the subs' doesn't make any sense. Aki was the 23 at the weekend and we had no winger cover in the subs.
It makes perfect sense? There was wing cover against Wales. Ringrose to wing and aki to 13 was the plan if there was a wing injury. You need centre cover so can't have larmour on the bench. What's the plan if you get an injured centre? Byrne or larmour to 12? Aki is a good bench option because he covers 12 and 13 meaning ringrose can cover 11 and 14.
JKBA
Beginner

Post by JKBA »

Delighted for Milne but not sure I’d be excited to see him scrummaging against the French.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

JKBA wrote: February 6th, 2023, 3:20 pm Delighted for Milne but not sure I’d be excited to see him scrummaging against the French.
Both Milne and Salonoa are great prospects but I think that fact both have been called into the Irish camps says more about the lack of depth in both those positions right across the system. Neither are near starters for their Provence (Salonoa's probably closer but in truth that's only because John Ryans up and left)
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

allezlesverres wrote: February 6th, 2023, 3:18 pm
wixfjord wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:52 am
It makes perfect sense? There was wing cover against Wales. Ringrose to wing and aki to 13 was the plan if there was a wing injury. You need centre cover so can't have larmour on the bench. What's the plan if you get an injured centre? Byrne or larmour to 12? Aki is a good bench option because he covers 12 and 13 meaning ringrose can cover 11 and 14.
So you're happy with Ringrose at wing but not Larmour at centre?

Larmour covers centre to the same degree Ringrose covers wing, if not more (played most of a 6N finale in Twickers there for example).
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

munster#1 wrote: February 6th, 2023, 12:23 pm I really can’t see Ireland making many changes for the France game.
Ireland are a very conservative team, and are very unlikely to look for changes, especially after a strong victory against Wales.

I’d imagine that any changes will be injury enforced or if JGP and Healy make a return.

Next week will be a massive test for Ireland, France will not be an east team to beat, and they will likely look to target our set piece which will be under pressure.

My only hope is that home advantage will be enough to give Ireland an edge.
If we beat France, we are looking at a strong chance of winning the 6 nations and even the grand slam.
THE ONLY HOPE
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by JKBA

Delighted for Milne but not sure I’d be excited to see him scrummaging against the French.
Agreed. Are Bryne and Dooley injured or just out of favour?
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

sunshiner1 wrote: February 7th, 2023, 4:43 am
by JKBA

Agreed. Are Bryne and Dooley injured or just out of favour?
Same question.

Milne is a decent invitee for a Squad session, but Dooley & Byrne (subject to injury availability) have earned their place on the pole and might be needed.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Byrne is injured for a while now. Dooley wasn't last I looked, but he's also only started half his games this season.

I'd say Faz wants a new face so they get something out of camp.
Flash Gordon
Leo Cullen

Post by Flash Gordon »

riocard911 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:38 pm
sunshiner1 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:27 pm
by Oldschoolsocks

I was hugely disappointed with the penalty that Porter gave away for the “late hit” on Liam Williams after he scored. On review, and after the adrenaline was gone from the system, that penalty was 100% milked. Porter was marginally late AND was obviously attempting to hold Williams up.

If you factor in Williams’ (henceforth to be referred to as the Scrotebag) love of sliding in with the knee on opposing try scorers then there was nothing in that challenge.

The Scrotebag also milked a penalty from Henderson’s clumsy block attempt. So while I thought his yellow card for the hit on Jonny Sexton was soft in retrospect he can just go **** himself…
Plus 1. Wasn't impressed with Dickinson's lecture to Hansen after either. Was well happy when he got carded.
+1. Porter was 100% committed to trying to prevent the grounding, by getting an arm under. It wasn't a cheap shot with the knee, IMO. Biggar was next in and made a big deal of everything, kicking the whole escalation off, and Hansen went in to support Porter - and fair play to him too! The ref could have just have easily said to Biggar "I don't want you charging in, after I've blown my whistle", but didn't.
It was a ridiculous call. Porter was clearly trying to get his arm under the ball to prevent the try, he's absolutely not a late cheap shot merchant. The histrionics from the Welsh were obviously rewarded though. Really hate that stuff creeping into the game, play acting should be penalised, it's not like we don't have enough camera angles to spot it these days.
Flash ahhhh ahhh, he'll save every one of us
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

Flash Gordon wrote: February 7th, 2023, 9:48 am
sunshiner1 wrote: February 5th, 2023, 12:27 pm

Plus 1. Wasn't impressed with Dickinson's lecture to Hansen after either. Was well happy when he got carded.
+1. Porter was 100% committed to trying to prevent the grounding, by getting an arm under. It wasn't a cheap shot with the knee, IMO. Biggar was next in and made a big deal of everything, kicking the whole escalation off, and Hansen went in to support Porter - and fair play to him too! The ref could have just have easily said to Biggar "I don't want you charging in, after I've blown my whistle", but didn't.
It was a ridiculous call. Porter was clearly trying to get his arm under the ball to prevent the try, he's absolutely not a late cheap shot merchant. The histrionics from the Welsh were obviously rewarded though. Really hate that stuff creeping into the game, play acting should be penalised, it's not like we don't have enough camera angles to spot it these days.
Ref and TMO got 4 obvious calls wrong in favour of Wales:

- knock on where Keenan cleaned up - clear and obvious
- Lowe blocking - Adams ran into the back of him- no pen
- Aki penalty for hitting North - North was in front of the ball carrier
- Pen against Porter on Williams

I know its not illegal but it's usually given so we were lucky not to be penalised for Ryans great steal on the 5M.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

the spoofer wrote: February 7th, 2023, 11:43 am

I know its not illegal but it's usually given so we were lucky not to be penalised for Ryans great steal on the 5M.
It's only illegal if you don't get the ball and interfere with anyone on the other side.

Edit: The knock on was pure weird. I know TMO has own feed but just seems mad there wasn't a clear shot of it.
Last edited by paddyor on February 7th, 2023, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

the spoofer wrote: February 7th, 2023, 11:43 am

It's what you expect from Gatland: shithousery and referee conning. His teams do it all the time. Allied with undermining the referees in public (with the enthusiastic participation of the British media, including those who should know better) which included suggesting that Porter should have got a card for it. I agree with a penalty restart after that try, but for Ireland for the shitehousery and handbags of Biggar and Williams (who really has returned to his old self hasn't he).

While it had ultimately limited outcomes it did work for them. It gave them a hold on the match and as long as this happens and there are no repercussions, and Gatland is as devoid of actual coaching inspiration as he usually is, this will be his go to strategy for his teams.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

TMOs almost never contradict refs. They tactfully suggest another viewing or they say I agree.

Which is also how a one-sided TMO reveals themselves: they're really quick to see what they want to see.

Leinster were on the wrong side of that for the SA trip last season. The TMO almost erupted when he spotted that a penalty could be reversed.

Playing dead causes a stoppage which almost guarantees additional replays, and it's being mercilessly exploited — at the cost of slowing the game right down (& integrity). There's a reason footballers go down like they've been shot.
Mookie
Beginner

Post by Mookie »

Well, it is Oscar season !
TMC
Knowledgeable

Post by TMC »

ronk wrote: February 7th, 2023, 7:55 am Byrne is injured for a while now. Dooley wasn't last I looked, but he's also only started half his games this season.

The two boys are there to provide scrum opposition for the 4 guys they are looking at seriously & who are going to be picked for the weekend (Porter, Killer, Bad Barnet and TOT). Don't think either Milne or Salanoa within an asses roar of being picked, there to soak up the experience and show how they operate in that kind of environment. With Marty Moore banjaxed, on current form the IRFU should be talking to John Ryan about what he is up to in the autumn. A short term deal for the RWC squad if Ryan is fit post the SRP season wouldn't be out of order. You would hope they are at least exploring the option with him.

Blade for me is more interesting, he could possibly force his way in. The guys who come through the club system have to overcome so many obstacles and a fair bit of prejudice along the way. Anyone who makes it through the club route is generally mentally very strong. Wouldn't discount him in the same way. He's only one cap V the States so would be amazed if he is involved this weekend but he might sneak onto the bench for the Italy game
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

TMC wrote: February 8th, 2023, 12:16 pm
ronk wrote: February 7th, 2023, 7:55 am Byrne is injured for a while now. Dooley wasn't last I looked, but he's also only started half his games this season.

The two boys are there to provide scrum opposition for the 4 guys they are looking at seriously & who are going to be picked for the weekend (Porter, Killer, Bad Barnet and TOT). Don't think either Milne or Salanoa within an asses roar of being picked, there to soak up the experience and show how they operate in that kind of environment. With Marty Moore banjaxed, on current form the IRFU should be talking to John Ryan about what he is up to in the autumn. A short term deal for the RWC squad if Ryan is fit post the SRP season wouldn't be out of order. You would hope they are at least exploring the option with him.
This is true up until one of the four guys picks up an injury during the week, in which case Milne or Salanoa would likely bench (unless someone else is parachuted into the squad ahead of them)