Australia

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Australia

Post by neill_m »

Dave Rennie sacked, Eddie Jones new coach. Deal till 2027.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Re: Australia

Post by paddyor »

As Russ petty said on twitter, excited to see the new 5 year RWC cycle.

Rennie for Leinster though?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

paddyor wrote: January 15th, 2023, 11:11 pm As Russ petty said on twitter, excited to see the new 5 year RWC cycle.

Rennie for Leinster though?
Jono Gibbes apparently getting the sack at Clermont, has been name checked by Bernard Jackman to replace Lancaster.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Jonno Gibbes seems like a nice guy; but personally I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to replace Lancaster. I know Ulster were in turmoil when he was there and he left after a year ? or so, Anyway - Lancaster is 'Senior Coach' at Leinster. Leinster with Leo and Stu currently have a fairly unique model in terms of ownership and responsibility. It matches both their strengths. I'm not sure what the model will be when Stuart leaves. Am I correct in saying Leo is on rolling 1 year contract?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Wow!!! Makes sense though. Jones has a better track record than Rennie. Plus the change will give them a bounce, which could last up till and into RWC2023. Jones wears out his welcome eventually, so a nine month stint as Oz boss might just be perfect!!!

To the above via WhatsApp a buddy of mine in Brisbane wrote the following:

"That is the thinking at the ARU. Jones has always done well at World Cups. However Rennie was liked by the players and to be fair to Rennie he has been plagued by injuries . The strength in depth is just not there.The bottom line is that the Wallabies as a rugby powerhouse is fading. Act of desperation not strategic."
sunshiner1
Mullet

Post by sunshiner1 »

by desperado

Jonno Gibbes seems like a nice guy; but personally I don't think he's anywhere near good enough to replace Lancaster. I know Ulster were in turmoil when he was there and he left after a year ? or so, Anyway - Lancaster is 'Senior Coach' at Leinster. Leinster with Leo and Stu currently have a fairly unique model in terms of ownership and responsibility. It matches both their strengths. I'm not sure what the model will be when Stuart leaves. Am I correct in saying Leo is on rolling 1 year contract?
I wouldn't touch Gibbes as a senior coach. Hasn't been successful in a long long time. What do people think of Pivac? Did great at the Scarlets and had a tough time internationally.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

riocard911 wrote: January 16th, 2023, 12:21 am Wow!!! Makes sense though. Jones has a better track record than Rennie. Plus the change will give them a bounce, which could last up till and into RWC2023. Jones wears out his welcome eventually, so a nine month stint as Oz boss might just be perfect!!!

"That is the thinking at the ARU. Jones has always done well at World Cups. However Rennie was liked by the players and to be fair to Rennie he has been plagued by injuries . The strength in depth is just not there.The bottom line is that the Wallabies as a rugby powerhouse is fading. Act of desperation not strategic."
He has signed a 5 year contract.

BBC News - Eddie Jones: Ex-England boss appointed Australia head coach as Dave Rennie sacked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64285827
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

IanD wrote: January 16th, 2023, 8:34 am
riocard911 wrote: January 16th, 2023, 12:21 am Wow!!! Makes sense though. Jones has a better track record than Rennie. Plus the change will give them a bounce, which could last up till and into RWC2023. Jones wears out his welcome eventually, so a nine month stint as Oz boss might just be perfect!!!

He has signed a 5 year contract.

BBC News - Eddie Jones: Ex-England boss appointed Australia head coach as Dave Rennie sacked
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64285827
Whether Eddie remains in charge of the Wallabies for the full five years remains to be seen. Contracts are there precisely for the eventuality, that the parties involved have a falling out. Ar aon nós, knowing Eddie's ball-breaking managerial style and the high turnover of staff, which characterised his stint with England, I think my assessment, that his chances of guiding Oz to another WC title this coming Autumn are astronomically higher than in 2027, will be proven valid.
desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

I think the EJ appointment is a master stroke by RA, and he's smart enough to know they have plenty of talent to go far in RWC 2023.
MylesNaGapoleen
Rhys Ruddock

Post by MylesNaGapoleen »

desperado wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:18 am I think the EJ appointment is a master stroke by RA, and he's smart enough to know they have plenty of talent to go far in RWC 2023.
harsh on rennie but adds so much spice to a potential england v australia QF in the WC.

lack of depth and injuries contributed to so many losses last year rather than coaching. despite the injuries they came very close to winning so many big games...including NZ when Rayner made that call about time wasting. and france, in paris. and us, in Dublin.

details about EJs coaching style, that emerged after he was sacked, sounds like it belongs in the 20th century...alongside misogyny and jim davidson jokes.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

There's a proper coaching merry go round at this point. Ronnie, Jones, Pivac. All the more remarkable that Ian Foster has kept his job.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

MylesNaGapoleen wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:26 pm
desperado wrote: January 16th, 2023, 11:18 am I think the EJ appointment is a master stroke by RA, and he's smart enough to know they have plenty of talent to go far in RWC 2023.
harsh on rennie but adds so much spice to a potential england v australia QF in the WC.

lack of depth and injuries contributed to so many losses last year rather than coaching. despite the injuries they came very close to winning so many big games...including NZ when Rayner made that call about time wasting. and france, in paris. and us, in Dublin.

details about EJs coaching style, that emerged after he was sacked, sounds like it belongs in the 20th century...alongside misogyny and jim davidson jokes.
But they might be able to put up with it just until the World Cup is over. He's perfect for that, just not a long term option anywhere. He'll just get himself fired again and, again, blame it on the media rather than his own behaviour.

For a coach who seems to be so capable of critical reflection and reinvention in rugby, he sure is completely lacking it in the rest of his professional life.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

ronk wrote: January 18th, 2023, 8:03 am There's a proper coaching merry go round at this point. Ronnie, Jones, Pivac. All the more remarkable that Ian Foster has kept his job.
Eddie back as head coach of Australia, Warren back in Wales... we'll have Deccie back in charge of Ireland before you know it....
Dont Panic!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Dexter wrote: January 18th, 2023, 12:32 pm
ronk wrote: January 18th, 2023, 8:03 am There's a proper coaching merry go round at this point. Ronnie, Jones, Pivac. All the more remarkable that Ian Foster has kept his job.
Eddie back as head coach of Australia, Warren back in Wales... we'll have Deccie back in charge of Ireland before you know it....
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

Anyone But New Zealand
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Eddie back as head coach of Australia, Warren back in Wales... we have Deccie in charge of the Irish.
Fixed that. Now go wash your mouth out.
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Haha, I knew that might get some slightly negative reactions....
Dont Panic!
Xanthippe
Shane Horgan

Post by Xanthippe »

Best part of your message is your signature beneath it - it just works so well in this case!!!
#LiveLifeLoveLeinster

#BeSeenBeHeardBeBlueBELIEVE

I'm a Book Mark and damn proud of it. Storm 1:08 forever