"I'm shocked! Shocked!!" :wink:

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM_A4Skusro
IanD
Official Mascot

Re: 6 Nations 2023 - The Other Teams

Post by IanD »

RTE news : Healy named in Scotland squad for Six Nations

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/0117 ... x-nations/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Former England winger, Ruaridh McConnochie, has been called up to the Scotland squad ahead of this year’s six nations.

The Scots are really goin around the houses at the moment aren't they. Healy, McConnochie and maybe Cooney soon too.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Gatland made some comments yesterday (in response to media questions) about the number of older players in his 37 man Squad. He has 12 aged over 30 and said he would have changed the age profile if he had been around in the past three years but it's too late to jettison the Senior guys now because the young guys haven't enough experience.

Interesting comment and struck me as brutally honest.
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:25 am Gatland made some comments yesterday (in response to media questions) about the number of older players in his 37 man Squad. He has 12 aged over 30 and said he would have changed the age profile if he had been around in the past three years but it's too late to jettison the Senior guys now because the young guys haven't enough experience.

But was it honest? Gatland is hardly known for young squads. I know the WRFU hired Gatland with lip service to rebuilding the game from the ground up and a 360 view of the game in Wales rather than just for the World Cup. But that's not what Gatland does or did. He's a quick fix for the world cup really who showed no interest in anything but the senior international men's team in his long tenure in Wales.

I mean it's great to get your excuses in early to the media but I wouldn't laud it as honesty. It's spin. Pure and simple. Gatland is a super smart coach and like most of them what he says to the media is just spin and nothing else.
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

Ruckedtobits wrote: January 18th, 2023, 9:25 am Gatland made some comments yesterday (in response to media questions) about the number of older players in his 37 man Squad. He has 12 aged over 30 and said he would have changed the age profile if he had been around in the past three years but it's too late to jettison the Senior guys now because the young guys haven't enough experience.

https://twitter.com/rpetty80/status/161 ... V1H7SnriQg

He was still picking a lot of those guys for the Lions a little over a year ago and Pivac has doled out lots of new caps.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

IT
Scotland will consider bringing former Ireland scrumhalf John Cooney into their Six Nations squad when he becomes eligible next month, coach Gregor Townsend said at the official championship launch on Monday.
Dublin-born Cooney, 32, has 11 caps for Ireland but last played, as a replacement in the Six Nations, in 2020 and has a Scottish-born father which makes him eligible to switch allegiances from February 23rd.
The Ulster player said in January that his father would be “immensely proud” if he were capped for Scotland.
“I spoke to John when the rule change came about,” Townsend told reporters. “He actually reached out to me just to let me know it would be something that he’d consider. A lot of his family live in Scotland.
“In terms of timelines, he's not available until later on in the championship so obviously it wasn't something we considered for the beginning.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Welsh rugby encounters turbulence less than two weeks out from the national team's match in Cardiff vs Ireland:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-26055408

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... source=nba
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

I think we're gonna end regretting this more and more! Cannot understand Ulster not offering him a contract over Burns, he's got a much higher ceiling

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2416665/
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

erskinechilders wrote: January 24th, 2023, 4:36 pm Image

I think we're gonna end regretting this more and more! Cannot understand Ulster not offering him a contract over Burns, he's got a much higher ceiling

https://www.sportsfile.com/id/2416665/
Ulster couldn't offer him 300k a year and even then he's still like 8-9th choice for Ireland.
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Ferris strongly against Cooney going to Scotland according to latest reports. Stephen never short of an opinion and believes Cooney no better than current Scottish No 9's.
IanD
Official Mascot

Post by IanD »

RTE news : Cowan-Dickie ruled out of Six Nations

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2023/0125 ... x-nations/
Treat life like a dog: If you can't eat it, play with it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Elliot Day out with injury now too.
Dont Panic!
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

riocard911 wrote: January 24th, 2023, 12:37 pm Welsh rugby encounters turbulence less than two weeks out from the national team's match in Cardiff vs Ireland:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-26055408

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... source=nba
Welsh CEO has now quit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/64423254

With most teams this level of change and turbulence would undoubtably be a negative, but Wales (especially but not uniquely under Gatland) often find a way to jam their way to success.
Anyone But New Zealand
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

Dexter wrote: January 27th, 2023, 12:23 pm Elliot Day out with injury now too.
And HENRY SLADE HAS been ruled out of England’s opener against Scotland at Twickenham with a hip injury

also, vice-captain Courtney Lawes will miss the game with a calf problem
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

The French team training at Cap Breton yesterday had an open media day which results in a lot of articles today by famous former players and coaches who analyse and speculate about the way in which this team is set up and plays. The contest on the weekend against Italy is hardly in focus at all, as most commentators consider the Italians will be keeping their power dry for games against Wales and Scotland.

Commenting on the game against Ireland, the general theme is that Ireland will probably be the only team who will try to outscore France through their attacking strategy. The expectation is that Wales & England will try to prevent France playing the game they desire, whilst the Scots will try to deprive France of the ball by not kicking and keeping possession for long stretches. It has to be said this is largely foccussed on Finn Russell's ability to move the ball from any position.

There's little doubt that although RWC23 is just around the corner, the majority of commentators consider victory is essential for France to confirm among the players and coaches that they have progressed since last season, largely because many believe they have not faced the strongest opponents since the 6N last season.

So, no overwhelming confidence in France. Respect for the Irish, admiration for Borthwick & Gatland but an expectation that both will rely on the 'old guard'; a slight suspicion that the Scots and Italians will both take an unexpected scalp.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Flannery putting Hugh Cahill in his box, gotta love it.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

OTT wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:11 pm Flannery putting Hugh Cahill in his box, gotta love it.
Oooh what was said.
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

paddyor wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:25 pm
OTT wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:11 pm Flannery putting Hugh Cahill in his box, gotta love it.
Oooh what was said.
HD was trying to start some "banter" about Hoggs hair getting longer with every season.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.