Ireland U20s 2023

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Hippo
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland U20s 2023

Post by Hippo »

ronk wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:32 am
wwed wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:21 pm Prendergast could be a superstar - kicking from hand and ground, passing and running game all look exceptional. Decision-making and temperament seem great - only potential weakness is tackling. Expect to see him play for Leinster regularly next year.
He could be an outside bet for making the trip to SA.

We probably have enough in Harry Byrne, Frawley and Tector, but it's a big opportunity to get him into camp if they think he's ready.
Hugely impressed by him. He looks like a senior player stepping down to give the U20s a dig-out.
AKA Peter O'Sullivan
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

It’s kinda concerning that there’s been no update on the update neuter Scottish player. He got a bad bang on the side of his head.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

ronk wrote:
wwed wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:21 pm Prendergast could be a superstar - kicking from hand and ground, passing and running game all look exceptional. Decision-making and temperament seem great - only potential weakness is tackling. Expect to see him play for Leinster regularly next year.

We probably have enough in Harry Byrne, Frawley and Tector, but it's a big opportunity to get him into camp if they think he's ready.
World cup has come "a year too soon" for Prendergast, otherwise could be an outside bet for the Romania game in Bordeaux

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

Hippo wrote: March 11th, 2023, 7:59 am
ronk wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:32 am

Hugely impressed by him. He looks like a senior player stepping down to give the U20s a dig-out.
Yeah, he is extremely impressive. If it was just a case that he was as composed as he is, and that was all he had, he would still be impressive.

You marry that to his goal-kicking, his kicking out of hand, the feet he showed just before his offload assist against Wales [here: https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/1 ... 17?lang=en ], his physical stature and the fact that his brother is an international blindside, and it is very difficult to see where his ceiling is.

It's great that there will be a JWC this year.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

In January, a famed Munster rugby blogger said about Prendergast:
Good goal kicker - a very good goal kicker - but he's a long way off athletically for the modern #10.
https://twitter.com/threeredkings/statu ... 3040653315

How wrong can you possibly be? I mean literally the opposite is the case as we've seen over last few games. Prendergast looks so good athletically that he could slot into the senior squad and that's without even the benefit of 2-3 years conditioning at the peak of his potential for growth.

At 20 years old, he's 6'4 has an incredible boot, a lovely step and acceleration.

Without hyping up the guy, he really is a potential superstar. All the physical gifts that some of our 10s don't have but also looks like he understands the patterns and can kick from hand and tee too.

To be blunt about it, if the ultimate decision on who to give a pro contract to happens to be between he and Tector (who is a really good Slam winning 10 that could have a long career), there's only one option.

I don't think i've seen an U20 as obviously prepared for test rugby since Porter.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

wixfjord wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:12 pm In January, a famed Munster rugby blogger said about Prendergast:
Good goal kicker - a very good goal kicker - but he's a long way off athletically for the modern #10.

How wrong can you possibly be? I mean literally the opposite is the case as we've seen over last few games. Prendergast looks so good athletically that he could slot into the senior squad and that's without even the benefit of 2-3 years conditioning at the peak of his potential for growth.

At 20 years old, he's 6'4 has an incredible boot, a lovely step and acceleration.

Without hyping up the guy, he really is a potential superstar. All the physical gifts that some of our 10s don't have but also looks like he understands the patterns and can kick from hand and tee too.

To be blunt about it, if the ultimate decision on who to give a pro contract to happens to be between he and Tector (who is a really good Slam winning 10 that could have a long career), there's only one option.

I don't think i've seen an U20 as obviously prepared for test rugby since Porter.
I've been tellin the great unwashed for a good while now that the 25 year unbroken line of International class Ireland 10s (Humpreys/ROG/Sexton) was coming to an end and we just had to learn to live with that fact because there did not seem to be any of the required standard about the place.
Now though.......
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Lock9541
Graduate

Post by Lock9541 »

wixfjord wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:12 pm In January, a famed Munster rugby blogger said about Prendergast:

He’s tall but very thin. He needs to put on muscle mass. A lot of 10s have more muscles mass than him he needs to bulk up a bit and fill out his frame. Obviously he will fill out his tall frame but right now he’s not physically ready for the pro game. He also has a miss tackle in him the odd time so he needs to bulk up physically. Everything else about his game is perfect though.
Last edited by Lock9541 on March 11th, 2023, 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sugary tae
Bookworm

Post by Sugary tae »

Phenomenal performance last night but my god the Scot’s were abject. I suppose they can’t ship in saffers at this age.
Team was so composed in terms of handling attacking lines and physical size was the thing that stood out. A lot of the other sides if the game can be taught as they progress. There looks to be a good few potential pros in that squad

Couldn’t but be so excited about prendergast. Looks like we have a phenomenal international player en route
CiaranIrl
Seán Cronin

Post by CiaranIrl »

Agree with all that, but would think Sexton's retirement will mean that we can take a punt on both of them. I hope so anyway. Harry's injury profile means we will need a few plates spinning.
“As you all know first prize is a Cadillac El Dorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.”
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Lock9541 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 6:38 pm

He’s tall but very thin. He needs to put on muscle mass. A lot of 10s have more muscles mass than him he needs to bulk up a bit and fill out his frame. Obviously he will fill out his tall frame but right now he’s not physically ready for the pro game. He also has a miss tackle in him the odd time so he needs to bulk up physically. Everything else about his game is perfect though.
You could literally be describing Sexton there. In fact he's actually heavier than Sexton at the moment.

He's an outhalf not a backrow. He doesn't need to 'put on muscle mass' or 'bulk up physically'. That will imapct his mobility. He'll grow into his frame and put on a few kilos, but in four games against his peers he has been head and shoulders above almost everyone on the pitch physically.

Leinster clearly think he's ready for the pro game having involved him with senior squads.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

There is some serious talent in that U20s team.
I can’t remember seeing a more talented and exciting group of young Irish players, and there’s a good number who will be available again next season.
It has all the makings of a group of players who could go on to spur the senior team on for a number of years.

Some Leinster fans won’t like this, but I’m sure the majority will see sense, but there are too many Leinster players in that squad to be accommodated in the Leinster academy, so I hope all 4 provinces are in the ears of the pick of this group.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

munster#1 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 8:13 pm There is some serious talent in that U20s team.
I can’t remember seeing a more talented and exciting group of young Irish players, and there’s a good number who will be available again next season.
It has all the makings of a group of players who could go on to spur the senior team on for a number of years.

Some Leinster fans won’t like this, but I’m sure the majority will see sense, but there are too many Leinster players in that squad to be accommodated in the Leinster academy, so I hope all 4 provinces are in the ears of the pick of this group.
Sense? The IRFU are paying for 4 provincial academies, 1 is doing far better than the others. Even to the extent that players are moving to the other side of the country for academy wages.

It's an artifact of inefficiency that the IRFU are playing academy players to move to Belfast or Galway because they don't have space in a Dublin academy that pays the same. It'd be better to double the size of the Leinster academy and fund it by cutting back the other academies.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

ronk wrote: March 11th, 2023, 8:56 pm
munster#1 wrote: March 11th, 2023, 8:13 pm There is some serious talent in that U20s team.

Sense? The IRFU are paying for 4 provincial academies, 1 is doing far better than the others. Even to the extent that players are moving to the other side of the country for academy wages.

It's an artifact of inefficiency that the IRFU are playing academy players to move to Belfast or Galway because they don't have space in a Dublin academy that pays the same. It'd be better to double the size of the Leinster academy and fund it by cutting back the other academies.
+1
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Tactically logical. Technically impossible.

You can't put an extra 20 lads into the Leinster Academy and integrate their training with that of the Senior squad. That's a key component of the development of our players and you can't just expand and replicate.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Ruckedtobits wrote: March 12th, 2023, 8:05 am Tactically logical. Technically impossible.

You can't put an extra 20 lads into the Leinster Academy and integrate their training with that of the Senior squad. That's a key component of the development of our players and you can't just expand and replicate.
Crackers idea on all fronts.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Fringe players who pad out the Ulster squad won't get to train with the Leinster squad either.

Leinster run basically the same size academy as the other provinces. The result is that the limited opportunities available don't always go to the players with the most potential.

I don't know what the actual limiting factor is on the size of the Leinster academy, it might be that Leo and the senior coaching team want it that small, but it's just as likely that it not. The Leinster squad wouldn't easily absorb more senior players from the academy, so there'd be an increase in movement of graduating players to other provinces.
TrapperChamonix
Mullet

Post by TrapperChamonix »

I watched the Eng v Fra game. To my untutored eye the England back line looked pretty terrible, lots of dropped balls etc. The forwards were big as usual but not much more than that.
Anyone want to assess how they stack up against Ireland?
Never argue with an idiot. Someone looking on may not be able tell the difference
OneLungDavy
Bookworm

Post by OneLungDavy »

TrapperChamonix wrote: March 15th, 2023, 8:45 am I watched the Eng v Fra game. To my untutored eye the England back line looked pretty terrible, lots of dropped balls etc. The forwards were big as usual but not much more than that.
Anyone want to assess how they stack up against Ireland?
The English u20s have been like that for a few years now. The year they beat us, two years ago I think, their backs were absolutely hopeless. Their pack just monstered us off the pitch because they were much bigger. Concerning times for England fans.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

wixfjord wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:12 pm I don't think i've seen an U20 as obviously prepared for test rugby since Porter.
Both his parents are former army officers. His old man is former 2 i/c of the Army Ranger Wing. We had good results from the last lad with that sort of lineage!
mildlyinterested
Leo Cullen

Post by mildlyinterested »

hugonaut wrote: March 15th, 2023, 7:58 pm
wixfjord wrote: March 11th, 2023, 3:12 pm I don't think i've seen an U20 as obviously prepared for test rugby since Porter.
Both his parents are former army officers. His old man is former 2 i/c of the Army Ranger Wing. We had good results from the last lad with that sort of lineage!
Hopefully he sticks with leinster, temptation to join his brother has to be there.

Will be a big shame if leinster overlooked cian for soroka and both soroka and 2 prendergasts end up elsewhere a few years down the line.