Strongest Position in World Rugby

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Strongest Position in World Rugby

Post by jezzer »

Curious to know people's opinions on which position is home to the best group of players collectively in the world. Maybe highlight one player you think is worthy of note.

To kick it off I'm going to propose:

Hooker

Taukei'aho
Montoya
Marx
Mbonambi
Marchand
Sheehan
Kelleher
Fainga'a
Nicotera
Turner
Hibbard

The first two in my opinion have been two of the standout players, let alone No.2's, in 2022.

Not far behind are Marchand, Marx and Sheehan.

I'd have Mbonambi, Kelleher and Fainga'a in the next tier, based on 2022.

It's a ridiculously talented group and one of it's newest inductees, Taukei'aho, is for me right at the top of the pile. Talk about bursting onto the scene. He has the entire package: athleticism, setpiece, defence, work ethic, ball-carrying, poaching, handling and destructive tackling.

I don't think it's a coincidence that NZ's performances started improving with his introduction.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Re: Strongest Position in World Rugby

Post by cormac »

jezzer wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:27 pm Curious to know people's opinions on which position is home to the best group of players collectively in the world. Maybe highlight one player you think is worthy of note.

To kick it off I'm going to propose:

Hooker

Taukei'aho
Montoya
Marx
Mbonambi
Marchand
Sheehan
Kelleher
Fainga'a
Nicotera
Turner
Hibbard

The first two in my opinion have been two of the standout players, let alone No.2's, in 2022.

Not far behind are Marchand, Marx and Sheehan.

I'd have Mbonambi, Kelleher and Fainga'a in the next tier, based on 2022.

It's a ridiculously talented group and one of it's newest inductees, Taukei'aho, is for me right at the top of the pile. Talk about bursting onto the scene. He has the entire package: athleticism, setpiece, defence, work ethic, ball-carrying, poaching, handling and destructive tackling.

I don't think it's a coincidence that NZ's performances started improving with his introduction.
Richard Hibbard?????
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I was listing everyone and then highlighting the tiers and the top players....
I see I left out Cowan-Dickie who should be in tier 3.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

jezzer wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:55 pm I was listing everyone and then highlighting the tiers and the top players....
I see I left out Cowan-Dickie who should be in tier 3.
Hibbard retired in January and hasn't played international rugby in quite some time.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

Oh, I thought he was out with injury. Either way, not the most important detail in the idea of the thread...
neiliog93
Shane Horgan

Post by neiliog93 »

Dweba and Aumua might not be added to the list if they get a run of games at international level.

Also Camille Chat and Mauvaka.
"This is breathless stuff.....it's on again. Contepomi out to Hickie,D'Arcy,Hickie.......................HICKIE FOR THE CORNER! THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!