Ireland A vs New Zealand XV Friday 4th November

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Ireland A vs New Zealand XV Friday 4th November

Post by enby »

The entire back row has been dreadful, really really poor. Hume's defending is pathetic.
That NZ side is excellent
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

We have some big issues if one of our front 4 backrows go down pre RWC.

This trio again well bested by a fairly unheralded NZ three.
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:06 pm We have some big issues if one of our front 4 backrows go down pre RWC.

We knew that before this game though, didn't we? Our starting team is one of the best in the world, but there isn't a whole lot behind that.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Keith wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:11 pm
wixfjord wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:06 pm We have some big issues if one of our front 4 backrows go down pre RWC.

We knew that before this game though, didn't we? Our starting team is one of the best in the world, but there isn't a whole lot behind that.
You'd hope one of the three could do something though.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

We’ve made this so easy for them. Even just for the tries…

First one - we have Casey on his own covering a crossfield kick
Second one - simple maul
Third one - botched lineout
Fourth - Hume turned inside out
That last one was an intercept.

We’ve had kicks blocked down, Casey has been scragged a few times, ball presentation has been terrible…a bad day at the office.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Fiji will be rubbing their hands watching this fiasco. Farrell may have revisit his selection for that one.

What's with the Dad music every time there is a break in play?
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

I think that's the difference between us at the other 'Big' teams. We do have 'depth' in most positions but teams like SA, NZ, England France, they have 'options' in most positions. Thats a big difference in tournament rugby.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

That forward pass looks like a BS call to me
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

wixfjord wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:12 pm
Keith wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:11 pm

You'd hope one of the three could do something though.
My only hope is Marty comes good again. The rest simply aren't good enough, to play against the top sides.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

This is one game where the individuals are more important than the team and a lot of lads seem to have given up. The coaches are going to be furious about this one even though the game itself isn’t important.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Osborne has been pick of the bunch for us. He'll be some baller.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

At least the "Coombes is our best young 8 since Ken Goodall" merchants will be silenced for a week or two
Keith
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Keith »

enby wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:17 pm Fiji will be rubbing their hands watching this fiasco. Farrell may have revisit his selection for that one.

I can't imagine we were ever going to be sending a team like this out for that match? Fiji are the best tier 2 side by quite some distance, when on form. They've numerous scalps over tier 1 nations and we only beat them 23-20 in 2017. I find the blasé attitude towards them in the media and amongst fans incredibly ignorant.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Keith wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:31 pm
enby wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:17 pm Fiji will be rubbing their hands watching this fiasco. Farrell may have revisit his selection for that one.

I can't imagine we were ever going to be sending a team like this out for that match? Fiji are the best tier 2 side by quite some distance, when on form. They've numerous scalps over tier 1 nations and we only beat them 23-20 in 2017. I find the blasé attitude towards them in the media and amongst fans incredibly ignorant.
I agree. However this match should give Farrell pause for thought if he had planned wholesale changes
Laighin Break
Mullet

Post by Laighin Break »

enby wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:28 pm At least the "Coombes is our best young 8 since Ken Goodall" merchants will be silenced for a week or two
Actually really disappointed at how anonymous Coombes was today as I definitely thought he deserved a shot in the first team last year. Though happy to see how much of an improvement Deegan was when he came on
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Laighin Break wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:36 pm
enby wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:28 pm At least the "Coombes is our best young 8 since Ken Goodall" merchants will be silenced for a week or two
Actually really disappointed at how anonymous Coombes was today as I definitely thought he deserved a shot in the first team last year. Though happy to see how much of an improvement Deegan was when he came on
I had high hopes for him myself, but he was as anonymous tonight as he was against us. Driven back off a 5m scrum, not a good look for an 8 if you ask me
Last edited by Oldschoolsocks on November 4th, 2022, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Post by enby »

Deegan and Marty both put in decent shifts. No coincidence that both are very experienced players.
munster#1
Shane Jennings

Post by munster#1 »

Only just got to see the last 12 mins, so I didn’t see how poor Coombes was.
I am actually surprised to hear that he was that bad, as he is someone I would have said is very close to making the step up to the senior team.
Just because a post upsets you, that doesn’t mean that it is wrong. People have different views in all aspects of life, this is a key ingredient to an interesting conversation.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

enby wrote: November 4th, 2022, 9:41 pm Deegan and Marty both put in decent shifts. No coincidence that both are very experienced players.
Jaysus but Marty looked like a J1 prop trying to keep up with the NZ player for one of their tries though. Great scrummager but you'd have to wonder if modern game has passed him by.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

This game will be the making of a load of these lads or it won’t. The choice is theirs. I’m talking guys like Frawley, Casey, Hume, Coombes, Prendergast and Osborne. Guys with growing reputations. These guys are our future and they got a good lesson tonight. I think Osborne is the only one who came out with his reputation enhanced. Time for the other lads to put the head down and get working.

I don’t think it’s the end of the world at all one team were a lot more experienced than the other and they showed it. Worthwhile experience.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English