Ireland A vs New Zealand XV Friday 4th November

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Re: Emerging Ireland to tour SA

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

Ireland A playing a New Zealand XV in the RDS on Friday 4th November according to the IT.

Given that Faz clearly wants games, I wonder is there any chance we'll add games next summer as well?
leinsterforever
Mullet

Post by leinsterforever »

LeRouxIsPHat wrote: September 12th, 2022, 4:43 pm Ireland A playing a New Zealand XV in the RDS on Friday 4th November according to the IT.

Given that Faz clearly wants games, I wonder is there any chance we'll add games next summer as well?
That's the day before the first November international (against SA), so there won't be any crossover in terms of makeup of the 23s.
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

As interesting as the selection will be, I wonder who the coaches will be? Wilkins after his stint during the summer? Surely the players will be training with the Ireland squad anyway so maybe some coaches will be double jobbing?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

This is a new approach to the World Cup, it seems to me. Having 4 Ireland 'A'ish games will be a lot more useful I believe than the pre-tournament warmup games we've had in the past. They've always stuck me as being a bit useless - the guys that know they're going don't want to get hurt like Wallace and O'Driscoll and the guys that are on the outer fringes often try too hard like Luke Fitz. These games and their timing should allow the fringe players a better opportunity to show their worth. Between these games, the AIs and the Six Nations, it will give the coaches plenty to work with and will allow them to approach the Summer Series games in a more relaxed and informed state
I have Bumbleflex
naraic
Mullet

Ireland A vs New Zealand XV Friday 4th November

Post by naraic »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... lacks-rds/

So this is happening in the RDS. Definitely a good idea with the world cup in mind.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Re: Ireland A vs New Zealand XV Friday 4th November

Post by wixfjord »

Hopefully we can sell it out... :lol:
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

wixfjord wrote: September 12th, 2022, 8:39 pm Hopefully we can sell it out... :lol:
An-mhaith!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Auckland and Blues lock Patrick Tuipulotu will captain the inaugural All Blacks XV squad selected for two matches against Ireland A and the Barbarians next month.
The 28-strong All Blacks XV squad was selected by the All Blacks coaching team of Ian Foster, Joe Schmidt and Jason Ryan and includes eight players with Test experience including Tuipulotu, Aidan Ross, Angus Ta’avao, Asafo Aumua, Luke Jacobson, TJ Perenara, Brad Weber, and Damian McKenzie.

Leon MacDonald is Head Coach of the All Blacks XV, alongside Assistant Coaches Clayton McMillan and Scott Hansen. The squad will boost the dept in New Zealand’s talent pool as Rugby World Cup 2023 approaches.

The 28-strong squad is as follows: (age, Super Rugby club, province)

Forwards:

Props

Finlay Brewis (22, Crusaders / Canterbury)
Oli Jager (27, Crusaders / Canterbury)
Aidan Ross (26, Chiefs / Bay of Plenty)
Angus Ta’avao (32, Chiefs / Auckland)
Tamaiti Williams (22, Crusaders / Canterbury)

Hookers

Asafo Aumua (25, Hurricanes / Wellington)
George Bell (20, Crusaders / Canterbury)
Brodie McAlister (25, Crusaders / Canterbury)

Locks

Josh Dickson (27, Highlanders / Otago)
Zach Gallagher (21, Crusaders / Canterbury)
Patrick Tuipulotu - Captain (29, Blues / Auckland)

Loose Forwards

Dominic Gardiner (21, Crusaders / Canterbury)
Billy Harmon (27, Highlanders / Canterbury)
Luke Jacobson (25, Chiefs / Waikato)
Christian Lio-Willie (24, Crusaders / Otago)
Marino Mikaele-Tu'u (24, Highlanders, Hawkes Bay)

Backs:

Halfbacks

TJ Perenara (30, Hurricanes / Wellington)
Brad Weber (31, Chiefs / Hawke’s Bay)
Cam Roigard (21, Hurricanes / Counties Manukau)

First five-eighths

Bryn Gatland (27, Chiefs / North Harbour)
Damian McKenzie (27, Chiefs / Waikato)

Midfielders

Levi Aumua (28, Moana Pasifika / Tasman)
Bryce Heem (33, Blues / Auckland)
Alex Nankivell (26, Chiefs / Tasman)
Bailyn Sullivan (24, Hurricanes / Waikato)

Outside backs

AJ Lam (24, Blues / Auckland)
Ruben Love (21, Hurricanes / Wellington)
Mark Telea (25, Blues / North Harbour)

All Blacks XV Head Coach, Leon MacDonald said, “We are expecting an intense challenge from both Ireland A and the Barbarians. These two fixtures will allow players to showcase what they have and put their best foot forward on an international stage.

“The selection panel have named a dynamic All Blacks XV squad, with eight capped All Blacks who know how to perform at this level and emerging talent. To play at international level is extremely valuable for the players and I am looking forward to guiding the team in what will be a first for the All Blacks XV.”

Ian Foster All Blacks Head Coach and All Blacks XV selector said, “The squad has a mixture of some experienced players and some younger talent coming through that we, as a group of All Blacks, are really keen to see how they progress in a Northern Hemisphere environment.

“It’s a great opportunity for them to play with a black jersey on, in a different environment and test themselves against different game plans and styles. Hopefully, that will help prepare us really well in another part of our building blocks for the Rugby World Cup next year.”

The All Blacks XV assemble on 28 October, travelling to Dublin where they will play Ireland A at RDS Arena on 4 November followed up with the Barbarians at Tottenham Stadium in London on 13 November.

The All Blacks XV was launched as NZR’s next senior national representative team after the All Blacks, as a critical high-performance pathway to the All Blacks. As the next senior national representative side, the All Blacks XV will have the same high expectations as the other Teams in Black.

All Blacks XV Schedule:

FRIDAY 4 NOVEMBER – Ireland A v All Blacks XV, 7:45PM (8:45AM NZDT, 5 NOVEMBER), RDS ARENA DUBLIN

SUNDAY 13 NOVEMBER – Barbarians v All Blacks XV 2:00PM (3:00AM NZDT, 14 NOVEMBER), TOTTENHAM STADIUM, LONDON
I have Bumbleflex
erskinechilders
Knowledgeable

Post by erskinechilders »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 10th, 2022, 8:46 am
The All Blacks XV was launched as NZR’s next senior national representative team after the All Blacks, as a critical high-performance pathway to the All Blacks. As the next senior national representative side, the All Blacks XV will have the same high expectations as the other Teams in Black.

Does an appearance for them make Jager ineligible for Ireland so?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

erskinechilders wrote: October 10th, 2022, 10:50 am
Dave Cahill wrote: October 10th, 2022, 8:46 am

Does an appearance for them make Jager ineligible for Ireland so?
If he plays or benches against Ireland A he will be ineligible
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

He has never even hinted he wants to play for Ireland.

Does he have any connection to the country apart from he went to secondary school here?
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 10th, 2022, 11:55 am He has never even hinted he wants to play for Ireland.

Does he have any connection to the country apart from he went to secondary school here?

Not quite true, but he has publically changed his mind since he said...
Oli Jager wrote:At 20-years-old he has no plans to come home in the short term, but would one day love the wear the green jersey. “It’s an ambition because I grew up in Ireland. Ireland’s my home.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.2554579

He also went to national school here, he came over as a baby - his mother is from Kildare

Not that it really matters either way now
I have Bumbleflex
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dave Cahill wrote: October 10th, 2022, 12:14 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: October 10th, 2022, 11:55 am He has never even hinted he wants to play for Ireland.

Not quite true, but he has publically changed his mind since he said...
Oli Jager wrote:At 20-years-old he has no plans to come home in the short term, but would one day love the wear the green jersey. “It’s an ambition because I grew up in Ireland. Ireland’s my home.”
https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... -1.2554579

He also went to national school here, he came over as a baby - his mother is from Kildare

Not that it really matters either way now
Cheers Dave
Fazo24
Beginner

Post by Fazo24 »

Interesting mix of players named by NZ. A few of the boys on the way home from SA have certainly put their hands up to be included in the squad (Doak, Crowley, Ahern, McCarthy).
Will Frawley be back in time - I imagine he would have been primed as being the starter here pre injury.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Be great to see Perenara rocking up in the RDS. He's some character and player!!!
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

Don’t suppose if anyone knows when tickets go on sale for this game?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
ustix
Bookworm

Post by ustix »

riocard911 wrote: October 10th, 2022, 6:39 pm Be great to see Perenara rocking up in the RDS. He's some character and player!!!
Himself and McKenzie ain't shabby.
That which does not bend breaks
Morf
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Morf »

cormac wrote: October 10th, 2022, 8:38 pm Don’t suppose if anyone knows when tickets go on sale for this game?
Dane Coles would describe him similarly to Sexton.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

https://twitter.com/NZRugby/status/1579663114819506176

According to the thread on the above twitter link, this All Blacks XV is NOT a "capture" team ??

So if this All Blacks XV side have not been designated a "capture" side, so Jager could play v Ireland A and still be capped by Ireland down the line.

Also if this is the case, then this game would be the same as the Maori games in Summer and would not be a capturing game from an Irish point of view (unsure if caps would be awarded?)
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Its very odd
I have Bumbleflex