Emerging Ireland to tour SA

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

jezzer
Rob Kearney

Re: Emerging Ireland to tour SA

Post by jezzer »

ronk wrote: August 31st, 2022, 3:14 pm
hugonaut wrote: August 30th, 2022, 8:47 pm Obviously I could be completely wrong about the above. It's a weird situation. They're supposed to be playing in a month, and the IRFU haven't even officially announced that there's a tour [as far as I know].

But I have no idea why they're having this tour if it's not preparing specifically for the World Cup in a year's time. So from my perspective the idea should be to select the current/recent test players:
1] who missed out on the tour through injury [Kelleher, Stockdale, Conway, Kilcoyne, Farrell and Baloucoune]; or
2] who got injured early on tour [Henderson, Hume and Harry Byrne]; or
3] who must have been very close to selection [O'Donoghue and Doak, in my opinion]

Then there are some positional things that I'm sure Farrell will want to see, like Baird play at No6. He was announced in the backrow for the NZ tour [source: https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/06/14/an ... land-tour/ ] but ended up playing both matches off the bench as a lock when Hendo went home and wasn't replaced. Potentially he might want to see Mack Hansen at fullback, which only just struck me a minute ago.

I think after thaat you get down to what I would view as a more typical 'emerging' coterie, the guys who were off-the-charts U20s like Ahern, Penny, Kendellen, Crowley, Osborne, Boyle [all very much 'maybes' in my mind, bar Ahern].

From my perspective, a lot of this is about getting guys who are likely to be in the RWC squad, or who might get called into the RWC squad, to a] experience a tour environment, and then b] to spend time immersed in the systems that are set out by the Irish coaches. Otherwise it's a f*cking terrible idea.
I'd really only see a place for number 3. Aside from giving someone time at being captain. If they want to work on specific players and give some potential bolters a chance then you mostly go there.

Someone like Jeremy Loughman makes a lot of sense.

There was a lesson learnt between the first and 2nd Maori tests and the team played as more of a team. I think players sometimes expect other people to lead and a tour can let other leaders emerge. For that reason I think they'll avoid bringing leaders like Ruddock, Molony, JOD.

Outhalf is possibly the most interesting position because it will give someone a chance to establish themselves. It could as easily be Harry Byrne as Leinster will have Sexton and Ross Byrne (and maybe Frawley).
The standard isn't going to be as high as they'd get playing in the URC, so the real benefit here is to give touring experience to players and let the coaches see who flourishes in that environment.

I'd be surprised if it was used to give guys like Stockdale or Balacoune game time - they'd be tested more heavily staying at home.

OH is an interesting one. With Ross probably leading the way in the URC and Ngatai in to bolster the midfield, it wouldn't surprise me to see Frawley go as the exception that proves.the rule.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

Really struggle to see the point of this tour. Its going to completely disrupt the URC, probably irreparably for teams like Ulster and Munster. With the new format of the URC you can't afford any bad spells but Ulster and Munster are likely to lose several key players to this tour. That is bound to spoil the competitiveness of the league as the SA teams and to some extent Leinster will make hay during the first block of games and will probably be uncatchable barring slip ups by Halloween.

I also struggle to see the benefit to Ireland. How much is eg Nick Timoney going to learn playing against cobbled together SA teams versus how much would he learn playing against VDF and Doris? Likewise Hume - what's he going to learn in SA he can't get from playing against Henshaw and Ringrose?
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

After being a pretty vocal critic of the coaching staff up to last year’s Autumn internationals I’ve decided to allow evidence change my opinions.

I personally don’t understand this emerging tour at all, but the coaching and management staff have earned my trust at this stage so sign me up for the T-shirt because I’m right behind them
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 1st, 2022, 4:41 pm After being a pretty vocal critic of the coaching staff up to last year’s Autumn internationals I’ve decided to allow evidence change my opinions.

I personally don’t understand this emerging tour at all, but the coaching and management staff have earned my trust at this stage so sign me up for the T-shirt because I’m right behind them
+1
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Part of this Tour must be ensuring that no RWC Squad player feels he has no idea what's going on when he gets called up, some time during the season. Part of the rationale may also be to allow the Coaches throughout every Squad session in the coming season (Autumn, Six Nations & RWC Squads) work with complete focus on the Squad for the upcoming tournament.

We've now taken the RWC as a priority target for 2022-3 ahead of the 6 Nations, for the first time. Faz and his Coaches have sat down with the various experts within the IRFU - S&C, Nutrition, Psychological, Performance- and worked out with them what alternative structures might support a stronger attempt at the RWC2023. Clearly, what we've tried before hasn't worked but given the last 6N & Summer Tour performances, Faz has earned the right to ask the Union Committee to allow him do it this way, rather than in the traditional manner.

I, for one, am more than prepared to cut him that latitude. As a died-in-the-wool Leinster fan, I'm certain it will impact on our season, but serving the Irish jersey is the role of the four Provinces and this is an innovation Faz considers worthy of the cost.

Good luck to this Emerging Ireland Squad. Previous Emerging teams played SA, Georgia, Romania & Uruguay in summer Tournaments and many great players emerged - Jack McGrath being one I remember. The Squad will learn at high pace, as will the support staff, and the conditions will be very similar to France next Autumn, but at altitude. Those who get selected will give this shot their all.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 1st, 2022, 5:05 pm Part of this Tour must be ensuring that no RWC Squad player feels he has no idea what's going on when he gets called up, some time during the season. Part of the rationale may also be to allow the Coaches throughout every Squad session in the coming season (Autumn, Six Nations & RWC Squads) work with complete focus on the Squad for the upcoming tournament.

We've now taken the RWC as a priority target for 2022-3 ahead of the 6 Nations, for the first time. Faz and his Coaches have sat down with the various experts within the IRFU - S&C, Nutrition, Psychological, Performance- and worked out with them what alternative structures might support a stronger attempt at the RWC2023. Clearly, what we've tried before hasn't worked but given the last 6N & Summer Tour performances, Faz has earned the right to ask the Union Committee to allow him do it this way, rather than in the traditional manner.

I, for one, am more than prepared to cut him that latitude. As a died-in-the-wool Leinster fan, I'm certain it will impact on our season, but serving the Irish jersey is the role of the four Provinces and this is an innovation Faz considers worthy of the cost.

Good luck to this Emerging Ireland Squad. Previous Emerging teams played SA, Georgia, Romania & Uruguay in summer Tournaments and many great players emerged - Jack McGrath being one I remember. The Squad will learn at high pace, as will the support staff, and the conditions will be very similar to France next Autumn, but at altitude. Those who get selected will give this shot their all.
I agree wholeheartedly. I remember well the Emerging IRL summer tour to Georgia, where Jack Conan and Dan Leavy seriously impressed.
heno
Knowledgeable

Post by heno »

allezlesverres wrote:How much is eg Nick Timoney going to learn playing against cobbled together SA teams versus how much would he learn playing against VDF and Doris?
Bit harsh on the SA teams. They might not be the strongest but 2 of them date back to the 1800s.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

desperado
Mullet

Post by desperado »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 1st, 2022, 5:05 pm Part of this Tour must be ensuring that no RWC Squad player feels he has no idea what's going on when he gets called up, some time during the season. Part of the rationale may also be to allow the Coaches throughout every Squad session in the coming season (Autumn, Six Nations & RWC Squads) work with complete focus on the Squad for the upcoming tournament.

Not sure about that..Is that paragraph above speculation on your behalf; or based on some inside knowledge? I'm sure it will be a case of ánd'. The 6N pays the bills. We're just out of Covid. 6N I'd imagine; will be just as much a priority as RWC. Between this emerging Ireland tour, Nov internationals, and the NZ tour Faz will surely have enough data to go into the 6N with a template to win it; and not having to 'deprioritise' it in favour of RWC.
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

The squad will be very interesting as it could give an indication who is on Farrells radar post world cup. A bolter could be Sam Prendergast.
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 1st, 2022, 5:05 pm

As a died-in-the-wool Leinster fan, I'm certain it will impact on our season, but serving the Irish jersey is the role of the four Provinces and this is an innovation Faz considers worthy of the cost.
It will certainly have an impact on Leinster's season, having all the first choice Ireland internationals available to them whilst the other provinces lose their front liners, but I can't see any circumstances in which it could have a negative impact on Leinster's season?

Having said that, I dont think people can begrudge Leinster this season because for many a season Leinster lose front line players to Ireland camps for interpros and end up having to compete with the academy so if there's one positive to this, maybe we will see a bit more of players like say Sexton in big games in the URC. It will however mean that games like the Ulster interpro will be a massacre.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

When are they naming this squad?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

blockhead wrote: September 7th, 2022, 3:18 pm When are they naming this squad?
Who knows? The IRFU only formally confirmed the fixtures last Friday. There are a lot of logistics to organise in less than 3 weeks.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

Hard to know where to start but let's take it at face value and reverse through the Under 20's of recent Seasons checking possible candidates: (Province is senior unless noted by *)

Full-back: Oran McNulty (Connacht); Patrick Campbell (Munster); Max O'Reilly (Leinster)
Wings: Aitzol King (Leinster*); Ethan McElroy (Ulster); Aaron Sexton (Ulster)
Centres: Jude Postletwaite (Ulster); Stuart Moore (Ulster); Jamie Osborne (Leinster)
Out-halves: Jack Crowley (Munster); Ben Healy (Munster); Jake Flannery (Ulster)
Scrum-halves: Nathan Doak (Ulster); Mathew Devine (Connacht*); Cormac Foley (Leinster);

Loose-head: Josh Wycherly (Munster); Jack Boyle (Leinster); Marcus Milne (Leinster)
Hooker: Tom Stewart (Ulster); James McCormack (Ulster*); John McKee (Leinster)
Tight-head: Tom Clarkson (Leinster); Rory Maguire (Leinster*); Sam Ilio (Connacht)
Second-Row: Joe McCarthy (Leinster); Ryan Baird (Leinster); Tom Ahern (Munster) Niall Murray (Connacht); Alex Soroka (Leinster)
Back-rows: Scott Penny (Leinster); Alex Kendellan (Munster); Reuben Crothers (Ulster*); David McCann (Ulster); James Culhane (Leinster*); James McNabney(Ulster)

In posting these suggestions, I've excluded any current internationals or any mature front-liners as yet uncapped. I've also excluded overseas based players - such as Dan Kelly and Hayden Hyde - although many might like them included.

The Squads listed below are reminders of recent U.20 names.

Under 20's 2022 - Summer Tournament - Coach Richie Murphy
(v South Africa U20, Italy - Wednesday, June 29, 2022):

15. Patrick Campbell (Munster)
14. Aitzol King (Leinster)
10. Sam Prendergast (Leinster)
2. James McCormick (Ulster)
4. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (Leinster)
6. James McNabney (Ulster)
7. Reuben Crothers (Ulster) (capt)

Ireland Grand Slam 6N Champions 2022 - Coach Richie Murphy

15. Patrick Campbell (Munster)
14. Chay Mullins (Irish 7's/IQ Rugby)
13. Jude Postlethwaite (Ulster)
12. Ben Brownlee (Leinster)
11. Fionn Gibbons (Leinster)
10. Charlie Tector (Leinster)
9. Matthew Devine (Connacht)

1. Jack Boyle (Leinster)
2. James McCormick (Ulster)
3. Rory McGuire (Leinster)
4. Conor O’Tighearnaigh (Leinster)
5. Mark Morrissey (Leinster)
6. Lorcan McLoughlin Ulster)
7. Reuben Crothers (Ulster) (capt)
8. James Culhane (Leinster).

Under 20's - 6N 2020 - Coach Noel McNamara - Feb 2020

15. Oran McNulty (Connacht)
14. Ethan McIlroy (Ulster)
13. Dan Kelly (IQ Rugby)
12. Hayden Hyde (Ulster)
11. Andrew Smith (Leinster)
10. Jack Crowley (Munster)
9. Lewis Finlay (Ulster)

1. Marcus Hanan (Leinster)
2. John McKee (Leinster)
3. Thomas Clarkson (Leinster)
4. Thomas Ahern (Munster)
5. Brian Deeny (Leinster)
6. Alex Soroka (Leinster)
7. Sean O’Brien (Leinster)
8. David McCann (Ulster) (captain)

Replacements:

16. Tom Stewart (Ulster)
17. Harry Noonan (Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Leinster)
19. Joe McCarthy (Leinster)
20. Cian Prendergast (Leinster)
21. Ben Murphy (Leinster)
22. Tim Corkery (Leinster)
23. Max O’Reilly (Leinster).

Ireland v Italy U.20, World Cup, Sante Fe, Argentina, 4th June 2019 - Coach Noel McNamara

15. Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
14. Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)
13. Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster) Captain
12. Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
11. Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
10. Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
9. Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
1. Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)
2. John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
3. Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
4. Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster)
5. Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
6. David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
7. Ciaran Booth (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
8. Azur Allison (Ballymena/Ulster)

Replacements:
16. Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster)
17. Tom Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
18. Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster)
19. Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht
20. Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster)
21. Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
22. Luke Clohessy (Shannon/Munster) *
24. Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster)
25. Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)
26. David Ryan (UCD/Leinster) *
27. Aaron O’Sullivan (UCD/Leinster) *
28. Max O’Reilly (Dublin University/Leinster) *
Degz
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Degz »

Do we know if this will be televised?
allezlesverres
Bookworm

Post by allezlesverres »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 8th, 2022, 1:52 pm Hard to know where to start but let's take it at face value and reverse through the Under 20's of recent Seasons checking possible candidates: (Province is senior unless noted by *)

Full-back: Oran McNulty (Connacht); Patrick Campbell (Munster); Max O'Reilly (Leinster)
Wings: Aitzol King (Leinster*); Ethan McElroy (Ulster); Aaron Sexton (Ulster)
Centres: Jude Postletwaite (Ulster); Stuart Moore (Ulster); Jamie Osborne (Leinster)
Out-halves: Jack Crowley (Munster); Ben Healy (Munster); Jake Flannery (Ulster)
Scrum-halves: Nathan Doak (Ulster); Mathew Devine (Connacht*); Cormac Foley (Leinster);

Loose-head: Josh Wycherly (Munster); Jack Boyle (Leinster); Marcus Milne (Leinster)
Hooker: Tom Stewart (Ulster); James McCormack (Ulster*); John McKee (Leinster)
Tight-head: Tom Clarkson (Leinster); Rory Maguire (Leinster*); Sam Ilio (Connacht)
Second-Row: Joe McCarthy (Leinster); Ryan Baird (Leinster); Tom Ahern (Munster) Niall Murray (Connacht); Alex Soroka (Leinster)
Back-rows: Scott Penny (Leinster); Alex Kendellan (Munster); Reuben Crothers (Ulster*); David McCann (Ulster); James Culhane (Leinster*); James McNabney(Ulster)

I'd be surprised if the squad looks like this. The stated goal of the tour is to prepare fringe/breaking through players to experience life on tour with a view to them being in the world cup squad. Very few of those named above have any chance of making the 33 for the world cup.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

I hadn't picked up the comment "with a view to them being in the world cup squad" from anything I've seen from official IRFU statements. However, if that is the objective or one of them, I agree that it will certainly be a very different selection.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/ ... lacks-rds/

Also says the 35-player Emerging Ireland squad will be named this Wednesday.

That NZ XV also have games against Canada (29 Oct) and the Barbarians at Tottenham Hotsupur stadium (13 Nov) with two more games to be announced according to the below link. Assuming the Ireland A game is one of those.

https://www.allblacks.com/news/all-blac ... announced/
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
berliner
Bookworm

Post by berliner »

Squad named:
https://www.irishrugby.ie/2022/09/14/em ... emfontein/

Osborne, Smith, Frawley, Clarkson, Milne, McCarthy, Deeny, Deegan, Penny, Soroka.
Last edited by berliner on September 14th, 2022, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

Emerging Ireland Squad – Toyota Challenge 2022
Backs (15)

Robert Baloucoune (Ulster/Enniskillen)*
Caolin Blade (Connacht/Galwegians)*
Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution)
Shane Daly (Munster/Cork Constitution)*
Nathan Doak (Ulster/Banbridge)
Jake Flannery (Ulster/Shannon)
Antoine Frisch (Munster)
Ciaran Frawley (Leinster/UCD)
Michael McDonald (Ulster)
Ethan McIlroy (Ulster/Queens RFC)
Stewart Moore (Ulster/Malone)
Chay Mullins (Connacht/IQ Rugby)
Calvin Nash (Munster/Young Munster)
Jamie Osbourne (Leinster/Naas)
Andrew Smith (Leinster/Clontarf)

Forwards (20)

Tom Ahern (Munster/Shannon)
Diarmuid Barron (Munster/Garryowen)
Tom Clarkson (Leinster/Dublin University)
James Culhane (Leinster/UCD)
Max Deegan (Leinster/Lansdowne)*
Brian Deeny (Leinster/Clontarf)
John Hodnett (Munster/UCC)
Sam Illo (Connacht)
Cormac Izuchukwu (Ulster/Ballynahinch)
Alex Kendellen (Munster/UCC)
Joe McCarthy (Leinster/Dublin University)
Michael Milne (Leinster/UCD)
Scott Penny (Leinster/UCD)
Cian Prendergast (Connacht)
Callum Reid (Ulster/Banbridge)
Roman Salonoa (Munster/Shannon)
Alex Soroka (Leinster/Clontarf)
Tom Stewart (Ulster/Ballynahinch)
Dylan Tierney-Martin (Connacht/Corinthians)
Josh Wycherley (Munster/Young Munster)

Some *very* interesting selections in there!

Frisch stands out, as is Michael McDonald. Would imagine both have been promised opportunities.

Frawley is interesting also, clearly going as a 10.

Andrew Smith is interesting, as is James Culhane.

Jake Flannery and no Ben Healy?