Seán Cronin

Re: Rugby Championship 2022

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Oh my God! I have never seen that before :shock: :shock: :shock:
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

30 seconds from pen awarded to when he gave the scrum.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Was the ref right? He told him several times, stopped the clock restarted it and told him again to take it and he didn't. But I've never seen a ref doing that. I'm in shock :o
Last edited by LeinsterLeader on September 15th, 2022, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Try in extra time by NZ.

FT: 37-39.

Ozzies whinging cos Matthieu Reynal gave NZ a peno scrum in the last minute for time wasting against them. Ho-hum.... lol.
Last edited by riocard911 on September 15th, 2022, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTT
Rhys Ruddock

Post by OTT »

Raynal has to do that every play of every game he refs, he can’t just choose do it in the last minute of a big test. That’s sickening.
"Horrocks went one way, Taylor the other and I was left holding the bloody hyphen!"

~The Late Great Mick English
wixfjord
Leo Cullen

Post by wixfjord »

He did warn Foley twice though. And Foley's teammates were shouting at him to get a move on also.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

LeinsterLeader wrote: September 15th, 2022, 12:58 pm Was the ref right? He told him several times, stopped the clock restarted it and told him again to take it and he didn't. But I've never seen a ref doing that. I'm in shock :o
Rob Dickson did it to Connacht for fannying about at a 22 drop out against the Ospreys in Swansea in the 79th minute way back in the mists of time. Except he gave a penalty and Ospreys scored to win 18-17.
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

I'm delighted. I'm all for refs tightening up things, clamping down on back-chat, handing out yellow for acting the maggot, giving red cards for dangerous foul play etc. The players and the coaches are driving the sport too far in the soccer direction. The ref has to have the final word and absolute and unquestioned authority on the rugby pitch. That for me should be the most important rugby "value".
FLIP
Seán Cronin

Post by FLIP »

riocard911 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 1:45 pmThe ref has to have the final word and absolute and unquestioned authority on the rugby pitch. That for me should be the most important rugby "value".
For them to have that in the professional age, they have to meet professional standards including consistency and impartiality. Many top level referees do not, and their performance is judged opaquely behind closed doors. Today's example does not show consistency, and through that accusations of lack of impartiality can follow.

For amateur rugby - absolutely, referees give up their time to allow us to play. But if it's your actual job to referee you should be doing it correctly.
Anyone But New Zealand
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FLIP wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:00 pm
riocard911 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 1:45 pmThe ref has to have the final word and absolute and unquestioned authority on the rugby pitch. That for me should be the most important rugby "value".
For them to have that in the professional age, they have to meet professional standards including consistency and impartiality. Many top level referees do not, and their performance is judged opaquely behind closed doors. Today's example does not show consistency, and through that accusations of lack of impartiality can follow.

For amateur rugby - absolutely, referees give up their time to allow us to play. But if it's your actual job to referee you should be doing it correctly.
I agree wholeheartedly. That's why WR, the professional leagues - the URC in particular - and the Unions need to invest more in raising the standard of refereeing, in order to allow refs, linesman and -women plus TMO's make the necessary decisions impartially and with an eye to the flow of the game as a spectacle.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

riocard911 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:05 pm

I agree wholeheartedly. That's why WR, the professional leagues - the URC in particular - and the Unions need to invest more in raising the standard of refereeing, in order to allow refs, linesman and -women plus TMO's make the necessary decisions impartially and with an eye to the flow of the game as a spectacle.
I thought Reynaud was excellent throughout. The final decision - correct, except for the consequences. If every professional referee could, and would do this to eliminate 'gamesmanship', I'd be happy and fully supportive (including resetting collapsed scrums which are time consuming).
Really sorry for Aussies who deserved to win, but they were the infringers at the final roll of the dice and they paid the price.

Overall, hugely impressed by Foley and Nic White and entire Aussie pack. If they continue this improvement they will be serious opponents in Europe in November and real contenders in RWC a year from now. Well done Dave Rennie, who is adding another chapter to his CV for next NZ appointment.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:15 pm
riocard911 wrote: September 15th, 2022, 2:05 pm

I thought Reynaud was excellent throughout. The final decision - correct, except for the consequences. If every professional referee could, and would do this to eliminate 'gamesmanship', I'd be happy and fully supportive (including resetting collapsed scrums which are time consuming).
Really sorry for Aussies who deserved to win, but they were the infringers at the final roll of the dice and they paid the price.

Overall, hugely impressed by Foley and Nic White and entire Aussie pack. If they continue this improvement they will be serious opponents in Europe in November and real contenders in RWC a year from now. Well done Dave Rennie, who is adding another chapter to his CV for next NZ appointment.
+1. Kudos too to the TMO - sounded to me like Ben Whitehouse - who alerted Renauld to the Aussie lunge at the NZ knee.
Barry
Enlightened

Post by Barry »

Agree that reynaud was correct but this needs to be applied consistently, including our two games v S. A. in November and at the RWC.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Oz vs NZ match highlights:

https://youtu.be/s4J16qaOxSc

"The ending that shocked the rugby world":

https://youtu.be/-cAzWChOiQA

Well done to referee Mathieu Reynal. You can hear him, while they're showing the replay of the NZ maul collapse and subsequent Aussie steal, telling Foley to kick the ball. If you watch the footage, just before he blows his whistle, Foley's own teammates are screeching at him to take the kick. Foley only has himself to blame, IMO; the decision was 100% correct.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Aussies maintain their long-standing #1 ranking in the World Rugby list of whingers:

"Foley denies deliberate time wasting as Wallabies lock Swain is cited"

https://www.the42.ie/foley-time-wasting ... 6-Sep2022/

In the same article: 1. Tim Horan confirms my dislike of him as most annoying rugby commentator and 2. Aussie second row Darcy Swain has rightfully been cited for his illegal, lower-limb clearout on NZ's Quinn Tupaea, which left the latter "with a serious knee injury".
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

I thought the decision was fair. Foley said he was just organising his forwards but that's a weak excuse. His own team mate was screaming at him to kick the ball out but he was still trying to take every second he could. He gambled and lost.
LeinsterLeader
Seán Cronin

Post by LeinsterLeader »

Don't often get pissed off by things in Rugby matches (things happen in the spur of the moment) but the Aussie number 19 needs to have a good luck at himself today. Could have easily had another 'Dan Leavy' moment on our hands. I'm sure he didn't mean it but it was extremely dangerous.
Logorrhea
Shane Horgan

Post by Logorrhea »

It was 47 seconds from the moment the penalty was given to the moment Foley started to take it. 7 of those were time off while Reynal warned Foley to play immediately. Having received that warning he took another 10 seconds (and another warning) and still didn't play it.

In fairness though, Foley is taking the shite for the whole team. Nic White held the ball first and the ref told him to play. He just placed the ball on the ground for Foley who inherited a warning he wasn't aware of. The Aussie Pack decided to have an impromptu meeting and refused to get ready to chase the kick. Then Foley having being told 3 times himself to play, took an age. Was a team f*ckup if you ask me. Reynal made the right call.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

On behalf of all the times I've seen teams get away with time wasting to close out a game I'd just like to say: good.

That always makes me angry.