Rugby Championship 2022

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dexter
Shane Horgan

Re: Rugby Championship 2022

Post by Dexter »

Pity Reynal wasn't reffing the URC SF in the RDS last season.... That was like an NFL game!
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Dexter wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:14 pm Pity Reynal wasn't reffing the URC SF in the RDS last season.... That was like an NFL game!
Ditto the HCup final
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: September 16th, 2022, 2:35 pm
Dexter wrote: September 16th, 2022, 12:14 pm Pity Reynal wasn't reffing the URC SF in the RDS last season.... That was like an NFL game!
Ditto the HCup final
For sure!
Dont Panic!
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

I think Reynal was right to sanction Foley but I'd have thought it would be a free kick and not a penalty.

Typically when a team delays a lineout, scrum or whatever, it's a turnover of possession by way of free kick.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

jezzer wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:20 am I think Reynal was right to sanction Foley but I'd have thought it would be a free kick and not a penalty.

Typically when a team delays a lineout, scrum or whatever, it's a turnover of possession by way of free kick.
Absolutely agree. Scrum every time.

BTW, Matt Williams in IT Sports section once again copper-fastens the Aussie reputation as the world's biggest moaners with another article of waffle - under a promising headline.
cormac
Rob Kearney

Post by cormac »

jezzer wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:20 am I think Reynal was right to sanction Foley but I'd have thought it would be a free kick and not a penalty.

Thought he gave a scrum rather than a penalty?
Look out Itchy, he's Irish
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 17th, 2022, 11:44 am

Absolutely agree. Scrum every time.

BTW, Matt Williams in IT Sports section once again copper-fastens the Aussie reputation as the world's biggest moaners with another article of waffle - under a promising headline.
Thanks for the confirmation, RTB. Glad to know it's not just me re Ozzie whinge.... :D
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

Yes. Law 9 (foul play) section 7 paragraph d. Time wasting is a free kick.
Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Post by Ruckedtobits »

ronk wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:05 pm

Agree. My mistake, solely based on most teams taking a scrum from the Free Kick
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

Ruckedtobits wrote: September 18th, 2022, 8:34 am
ronk wrote: September 17th, 2022, 10:05 pm

Agree. My mistake, solely based on most teams taking a scrum from the Free Kick
did Reynal not award a scrum though?
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

The Ozzie whingefest continues. From today's journal.ie courtesy of AFP:

Wounded Australia write to World Rugby over refereeing concerns

French referee Mathieu Raynal sparked uproar in Australia last Thursday.

Rugby Australia has written to the sport’s governing body about “overbearing officials”, after the Wallabies were denied victory against New Zealand by a controversial refereeing decision. French referee Mathieu Raynal sparked uproar in Australia after reversing a penalty awarded to the hosts in the dying seconds of their Rugby Championship clash against the All Blacks in Melbourne last week. He penalised Bernard Foley for time-wasting as the fly-half was about to kick the ball into touch in the 80th minute with the Wallabies leading 37-34. The All Blacks were instead awarded a scrum five metres out and Jordie Barrett crossed in the corner for a 39-37 win to deny Australia the Bledisloe Cup and all but end their Rugby Championship hopes.

Veteran Foley insisted he did not deliberately waste time, saying it was so loud he couldn’t hear what Raynal was saying. Australia coach Dave Rennie said he had “never seen a call like that, at any level”. Rugby Australia said their letter to World Rugby was not specifically about the Raynal decision, but more generally “the state of the game today and the overbearing nature of rules and officials”. “It’s not unusual, we’ve been lobbying World Rugby for some time on this,” a spokesman added.

They are not alone in their frustrations. England coach Eddie Jones railed against what he perceived to be over-the-top officiating during their tour of Australia this year. Jones said he was fed up with laws that have seen games become stop-start affairs, which he fears will ruin next year’s World Cup in France. “The referees, the players, the coaches need to get together and say, ‘This is the game we want, this is the game the people want to see,’” he said.

World Rugby has lowered the threshold for yellow and red cards, taking a cautious approach to improve player safety under a framework designed to protect the head, but it has slowed down the action.

While Rennie and Australian fans were fuming with Raynal’s decision, All Blacks coach Ian Foster insisted it was “very clear cut” and he found an ally in Nigel Owens, the game’s most capped international rugby referee. “As so many of you have been in touch to ask — clear communication and warning to the player to get on with it,” the retired Owens tweeted. “A fair and strong refereeing call by Raynal I feel. Learning here is not for the referee, but the players to get on with it when ref asks.”

I agree 100% with Nigel Owens. The presumptuousness of Eddie Jones supposedly speaking for the fans is galling in the extreme. The game I want is without timewasting, sledging, Wolfpack-like mocking of the opposition, coaches and/or their assistants on the side-line having temper tantrums, attracting the TV cameras, thereby distracting from the play on the field and bullies like Eddie ****ing Jones putting pressure on game officials or administrators, so they can keep using gray zones to game the system and gain an advantage. More and quicker red and yellow cards please. "Overbearing" refs, bring it on!!!!!!!!!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

riocard911 wrote: September 19th, 2022, 1:34 pm The Ozzie whingefest continues. From today's journal.ie courtesy of AFP:

Wounded Australia write to World Rugby over refereeing concerns

French referee Mathieu Raynal sparked uproar in Australia last Thursday.

Rugby Australia has written to the sport’s governing body about “overbearing officials”, after the Wallabies were denied victory against New Zealand by a controversial refereeing decision. French referee Mathieu Raynal sparked uproar in Australia after reversing a penalty awarded to the hosts in the dying seconds of their Rugby Championship clash against the All Blacks in Melbourne last week. He penalised Bernard Foley for time-wasting as the fly-half was about to kick the ball into touch in the 80th minute with the Wallabies leading 37-34. The All Blacks were instead awarded a scrum five metres out and Jordie Barrett crossed in the corner for a 39-37 win to deny Australia the Bledisloe Cup and all but end their Rugby Championship hopes.

Veteran Foley insisted he did not deliberately waste time, saying it was so loud he couldn’t hear what Raynal was saying. Australia coach Dave Rennie said he had “never seen a call like that, at any level”. Rugby Australia said their letter to World Rugby was not specifically about the Raynal decision, but more generally “the state of the game today and the overbearing nature of rules and officials”. “It’s not unusual, we’ve been lobbying World Rugby for some time on this,” a spokesman added.

They are not alone in their frustrations. England coach Eddie Jones railed against what he perceived to be over-the-top officiating during their tour of Australia this year. Jones said he was fed up with laws that have seen games become stop-start affairs, which he fears will ruin next year’s World Cup in France. “The referees, the players, the coaches need to get together and say, ‘This is the game we want, this is the game the people want to see,’” he said.

World Rugby has lowered the threshold for yellow and red cards, taking a cautious approach to improve player safety under a framework designed to protect the head, but it has slowed down the action.

While Rennie and Australian fans were fuming with Raynal’s decision, All Blacks coach Ian Foster insisted it was “very clear cut” and he found an ally in Nigel Owens, the game’s most capped international rugby referee. “As so many of you have been in touch to ask — clear communication and warning to the player to get on with it,” the retired Owens tweeted. “A fair and strong refereeing call by Raynal I feel. Learning here is not for the referee, but the players to get on with it when ref asks.”

I agree 100% with Nigel Owens. The presumptuousness of Eddie Jones supposedly speaking for the fans is galling in the extreme. The game I want is without timewasting, sledging, Wolfpack-like mocking of the opposition, coaches and/or their assistants on the side-line having temper tantrums, attracting the TV cameras, thereby distracting from the play on the field and bullies like Eddie ****ing Jones putting pressure on game officials or administrators, so they can keep using gray zones to game the system and gain an advantage. More and quicker red and yellow cards please. "Overbearing" refs, bring it on!!!!!!!!!
good post.

TLDR: Aussies can be whingeing babies, Eddie Jones is a pr!*k and doesn't speak for the fans
LeRouxIsPHat
Jamie Heaslip

Post by LeRouxIsPHat »

That's crazy from Australia. Their discipline was shocking and they need to take ownership of that in order to improve and win these games in the future, not blame the ref and give themselves an easy ride. I'd imagine some of the players are embarrassed by this considering you could see them shouting at Foley to get him to hurry up. There are times when I wish coaches were more critical of refs but to do it on this occasion shows serious bias and a culture of shifting the blame that doesn't bode well for them in future.

There are lots of reasons to back Raynal on this one but the big one for me is that he stopped the clock. Once that happened Foley knew full well he had to be ready to kick it quickly once the time was back on. He didn't, tough sh!t.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Joe Schmidt's NZ are giving the Wallabies something to complain about; The latter are 32-0 down after 55 mins and getting absolutely demolished!
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

FT: NZ 40-14 Oz