Tom Kiernan RIP

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Ruckedtobits
Rob Kearney

Tom Kiernan RIP

Post by Ruckedtobits »

It easier to list Tom Kiernan's playing, coaching and administrative achievements than it is to describe just how dedicated he was to the betterment of Irish rugby, whether it was in Cork Con, Munster or any level of Irish international rugby.

I played against him a couple of times and came across him as an Coach regularly in the 15-20 years thereafter. In the decade following Munster's Heineken Cup wins, I met him in meetings which considered and discussed the future of Irish rugby.

Tom had a drive, intelligence and determination to advance Irish rugby. 30 years ago, he was of the view that Irish Schools rugby was the best coached and most representative level of the skills of Irish players. He always believed that if Irish rugby, be it Club, Provincial or National level, could give our players the opportunity with coaching, administration and management structures that we were capable of competing with the best in the world.

He didn't just dream the dream however. Whether playing, coaching or strategising, Tom was involved and challenging his contemporaries from everywhere in the country to aim for excellence.
Irish Rugby is the poorer for his departure. We will not see his like again. May his family have some consolation in knowing that his contributions were appreciated everywhere in the Irish rugby family.
enby
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Tom Kiernan RIP

Post by enby »

He had an extraordinary list of achievements at the very highest level of the game. He was probably the last of the old fashioned goalkeeper style 15s. I remember the fuss when he scored a try in his last match away to Scotland in 1973 as tries by Irish full backs were unheard of. JPR Williams revolutionised the role around that time by adding an attacking dimension.

Irish rugby owes a huge debt to him for his vision and determination as an administrator during the huge upheavals of the 1990s
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

enby wrote: February 5th, 2022, 7:44 am He had an extraordinary list of achievements at the very highest level of the game. He was probably the last of the old fashioned goalkeeper style 15s. I remember the fuss when he scored a try in his last match away to Scotland in 1973 as tries by Irish full backs were unheard of. JPR Williams revolutionised the role around that time by adding an attacking dimension.

Irish rugby owes a huge debt to him for his vision and determination as an administrator during the huge upheavals of the 1990s
+1
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Ruckedtobits wrote: February 4th, 2022, 7:54 am It easier to list Tom Kiernan's playing, coaching and administrative achievements than it is to describe just how dedicated he was to the betterment of Irish rugby, whether it was in Cork Con, Munster or any level of Irish international rugby.

I played against him a couple of times and came across him as an Coach regularly in the 15-20 years thereafter. In the decade following Munster's Heineken Cup wins, I met him in meetings which considered and discussed the future of Irish rugby.

Tom had a drive, intelligence and determination to advance Irish rugby. 30 years ago, he was of the view that Irish Schools rugby was the best coached and most representative level of the skills of Irish players. He always believed that if Irish rugby, be it Club, Provincial or National level, could give our players the opportunity with coaching, administration and management structures that we were capable of competing with the best in the world.

He didn't just dream the dream however. Whether playing, coaching or strategising, Tom was involved and challenging his contemporaries from everywhere in the country to aim for excellence.
Irish Rugby is the poorer for his departure. We will not see his like again. May his family have some consolation in knowing that his contributions were appreciated everywhere in the Irish rugby family.
Well said Sir.
artaneboy
Shane Horgan

Post by artaneboy »

Tom Kiernan was a genuine sporting hero for Ireland, at a time when rugby hadn’t got anything like the profile it has now. He was heroic not only as a player, but as a coach/ manager- and notably as an administrator. He was one of the most important persons in Irish rugby over the last 50 years.

For most elite sportspeople, (and Kiernan had a great playing career) coaching and administration is the half, and then quarter-life where the former player pays their dues or/ and seeks to wring some residual pleasures from the game they love. Remarkably, Kiernan was the exception in that his coaching, and then administrative life was an acceleration of influence and brilliance on his playing.

It’s been said elsewhere, but bears repeating, his vision, political canniness, and moral courage- saved rugby in this country from being a plaything of the big clubs and, to some a large extent the unions, of England and France. That was his greatest legacy. A great man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Oh, I used to be disgusted, and now I try to be amused!"
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

artaneboy wrote: February 7th, 2022, 9:09 pm Tom Kiernan was a genuine sporting hero for Ireland, at a time when rugby hadn’t got anything like the profile it has now. He was heroic not only as a player, but as a coach/ manager- and notably as an administrator. He was one of the most important persons in Irish rugby over the last 50 years.

For most elite sportspeople, (and Kiernan had a great playing career) coaching and administration is the half, and then quarter-life where the former player pays their dues or/ and seeks to wring some residual pleasures from the game they love. Remarkably, Kiernan was the exception in that his coaching, and then administrative life was an acceleration of influence and brilliance on his playing.

It’s been said elsewhere, but bears repeating, his vision, political canniness, and moral courage- saved rugby in this country from being a plaything of the big clubs and, to some a large extent the unions, of England and France. That was his greatest legacy. A great man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lovely post AB
Good to hear from you again.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!