Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Re: Men's Six Nations 2022

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

the spoofer wrote: March 26th, 2022, 8:10 am
JB1973 wrote: March 24th, 2022, 12:59 pm
hugonaut wrote: March 23rd, 2022, 4:53 pm Found myself thinking a lot more about the Scots after the game than I did before the game.

There's a weird, destructive relationship between Townsend and the senior backs [Hogg and Russell in particular]. They're never going to accomplish anything significant together. The Scots aren't going to become a team who play bigger than the sum of their parts.

It's difficult to pin down a solution because I think the players take a larger portion of the blame than the coach, but he's not blameless himself. Townsend has a good bit of spoof in him. I'm not saying that he's a complete spoofer, as I think there are some parts of the game that he coaches well, but he's a bit like Brendan Rodgers. He can't quite carry off what he's trying to do, but he thinks that if he keeps projecting this image of himself, that facts will bend to his will, or people will see it the way he's selling it.

His response to those lads going out on the piss after the Italian match looked kack-handed and weak. Some guys get let off, one guy gets dropped, one guy gets sent home. They all did the same thing, why are they treated differently? If you do something like that, you have to own your decision, because it is wide open to criticism. Jimmy Johnston, the old Dallas Cowboys coach, used to be completely up front about his favouritism to better players and said something like "Of course I treated players differently, they were all different players."

The two lads are basically a*seholes. They're not the worst a*seholes, but they're still a*rseholes. They've been indulged from the get-go because Scotland were drastically short of talent, and they're both talented.

Hogg is a bad captain [his fault] and was a bad choice of captain [Townsend's fault], because he has to try to be something he's not – responsive and responsible, stable, concerned about others, composed, forceful. Townsend was obviously hoping that by giving him the role, he'd grow into it ... but that hasn't happened, and was always unlikely to happen.

I probably have a jaundiced opinion, but Hogg comes across as somebody trying to fake being a captain when he's interviewed, trying to say what he thinks a captain is supposed to say ... because he knows that if he just says what he's feeling, it's not going to sound captain-like. Sometimes I wonder how somebody like Jurgen Klopp always manages to 'figure out' the right thing to say, and then I realise that he's not second guessing himself or trying to figure it out, he's just saying what he feels. He is who he says he is. That's why people play so hard for him. I get the feeling that if Hogg said what he felt it would just be a long line of complaints and grievances.

Russell has unbelievable skills, sees space incredibly well, is one of the most inventive players of the last decade ... and is lazy, uncompetitive, weak-willed and immature. He requires far more management than any 29-year old professional should. His drinking has seriously interfered with his career – on a public level, that everybody knows about – twice in the last two seasons. It's a f*cking problem for him.
Hogg has a huge amount of natural talent, quick has a good step and can boot it miles, he does seem to thrive on being the big fish in a small pond with Scotland though , when he has been with the lions he has looked over awed and not lived up to his billing so that will always leave a question mark over him . I have seen him be brilliant but he can also make big match turning mistakes (Dublin seems his bogey ground!) and I think his best days are behind him

Russell is way more flaky than Hogg and is as likely to lose you a game as win it, when he is on his day he is great to watch but when he is off he is a liability.

In short both are good (one is really good) but the question marks around their discipline and mental toughness means neither has been as good as they should have been.

Touch of the Henson what if's about the both of them
Simple question, would you want either at Leinster? My view is no.
Russell’s a total flake, I wouldn’t take Hogg over Hugo
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: March 25th, 2022, 9:47 pm
blockhead wrote: March 25th, 2022, 4:24 pm Official Six Nations Team of the Tournament- Chosen by votes on twitter (over 1m votes)
15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster)
14. Damian Penaud (Clermont)
13. Gael Fickou (Racing 92)
12. Jonathan Danty (La Rochelle)
11. Gabin Villiere (Toulon)
10. Romain Ntamack (Toulouse)
9. Antoine Dupont (Toulouse)
8. Gregory Alldrit (La Rochelle)
7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster)
6. Francois Cros (Toulouse)
5. Paul Willemse (Montpellier)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Leinster)
2. Julien Marchand (Toulouse)
1. Cyril Baille (Toulouse)

Toulouse and Leinster dominate, nothing new there.
J10 was streets ahead of Ntamack
Was he?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Peg Leg
Rob Kearney

Post by Peg Leg »

Oldschool wrote: March 26th, 2022, 5:32 pm
blockhead wrote: March 25th, 2022, 4:24 pm Official Six Nations Team of the Tournament- Chosen by votes on twitter (over 1m votes)
4. Maro Itoje (Saracens)

Was he?
He was
"It was Mrs O'Leary's cow"
Daniel Sullivan
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Difference is J10 only won a Triple Crown, whereas Ntamack won a Slam - the first one for France in 12 years.
ronk
Jamie Heaslip

Post by ronk »

riocard911 wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:00 pm Difference is J10 only won a Triple Crown, whereas Ntamack won a Slam - the first one for France in 12 years.
The 6N team of the season was 10 other French players, 3 Irish and 1English. So Ntamack had less to do himself, that and Sexton was injured for the game Ireland lost.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

ronk wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:45 pm
riocard911 wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:00 pm Difference is J10 only won a Triple Crown, whereas Ntamack won a Slam - the first one for France in 12 years.
The 6N team of the season was 10 other French players, 3 Irish and 1English. So Ntamack had less to do himself, that and Sexton was injured for the game Ireland lost.
England once again demonstrated that they have Sexton's number. His lack of composure was evident throughout the game.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Peg Leg wrote: March 26th, 2022, 7:42 pm
Oldschool wrote: March 26th, 2022, 5:32 pm
Was he?
He was
Watch the England game again!
Dexter
Shane Horgan

Post by Dexter »

Oldschool wrote: March 27th, 2022, 7:41 pm
ronk wrote: March 27th, 2022, 3:45 pm
England once again demonstrated that they have Sexton's number. His lack of composure was evident throughout the game.
Now you're just winding us up :D
Dont Panic!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

4. Maro Itoje (Saracens)

Not sure if Sexton was streets ahead of Ntamack, but he was the best out half by a good bit in every match he played.
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

I'd take either at the ospreys tbh, as flaky as they are they are both miles better than say dan evans or Stephen myler. plus we have a long history of overhyped flaky prima donnas so it's not really a concern. Granted if the ospreys had players like sexton and keenan I wouldn't want them here either so Leinster are in a privileged position of not only being able to get good players but also good charchters

Would I pick them for Wales? Ahead of Biggar and Liam Williams? that is a far tougher choice
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

JB1973 wrote: March 28th, 2022, 10:48 am I'd take either at the ospreys tbh, as flaky as they are they are both miles better than say dan evans or Stephen myler. plus we have a long history of overhyped flaky prima donnas so it's not really a concern. Granted if the ospreys had players like sexton and keenan I wouldn't want them here either so Leinster are in a privileged position of not only being able to get good players but also good charchters

Would I pick them for Wales? Ahead of Biggar and Liam Williams? that is a far tougher choice
You know the difference between Biggar and Sexton?

No, me neither!
I have Bumbleflex
JB1973
Rhys Ruddock

Post by JB1973 »

Dave Cahill wrote: March 28th, 2022, 11:10 am
JB1973 wrote: March 28th, 2022, 10:48 am I'd take either at the ospreys tbh, as flaky as they are they are both miles better than say dan evans or Stephen myler. plus we have a long history of overhyped flaky prima donnas so it's not really a concern. Granted if the ospreys had players like sexton and keenan I wouldn't want them here either so Leinster are in a privileged position of not only being able to get good players but also good charchters

No, me neither!
Biggar doesn't have the range of passing Sexton has, both are far more reliable than Russell and both unlike Russell have got every inch of talent out of themselves with their mental toughness and will to I'd pick both ahead of him , Hogg and the current version of liam Williams is a closer call, Liam isn't the counter attacking force of old and his failure to execute a simple 2 on 1 in the last lions test possibly cost us a series victory, although Hogg surpassed that with his failure to execute a 3 on 1 in dublin :D
fourthirtythree
Leo Cullen

Post by fourthirtythree »

Don't know what Furlong is doing in people's team of the 6N. He didn't have a good championship.

Biggar is a warrior, I'd have him on my team ahead of Russell every time. As a Leinster supporter I never liked seeing him on the teamsheet. Russell is an opportunity for the opposition.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

fourthirtythree:

"Biggar is a warrior, I'd have him on my team ahead of Russell every time."

+1
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

If Johnny played in Paris we would have the Slam now.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
SoupyNorman
Bookworm

Post by SoupyNorman »

blockhead wrote: March 28th, 2022, 1:22 pm
The best ability is availability.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Sexton was involved in only one of the four tries scored against England.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

JB1973 wrote: March 28th, 2022, 11:19 am
Dave Cahill wrote: March 28th, 2022, 11:10 am

No, me neither!
Biggar doesn't have the range of passing Sexton has, both are far more reliable than Russell and both unlike Russell have got every inch of talent out of themselves with their mental toughness and will to I'd pick both ahead of him , Hogg and the current version of liam Williams is a closer call, Liam isn't the counter attacking force of old and his failure to execute a simple 2 on 1 in the last lions test possibly cost us a series victory, although Hogg surpassed that with his failure to execute a 3 on 1 in dublin :D
Unfortunately has is becoming had in terms of speed of execution.
the spoofer
Shane Horgan

Post by the spoofer »

riocard911 wrote: March 28th, 2022, 1:02 pm fourthirtythree:

"Biggar is a warrior, I'd have him on my team ahead of Russell every time."

+1
+1
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

SoupyNorman wrote: March 28th, 2022, 4:23 pm
The best ability is availability.
You must have a very poor opinion of an awful lot of rugby players so.
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!