Ray McLoughlin Appreciation Thread

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

backrower8
Mullet

Ray McLoughlin Appreciation Thread

Post by backrower8 »

It seems odd that we haven't paused here to honour the passing of Ray McLoughlin, one of the world's greatest ever props. Is it because he was too far back for most of us to remember seeing him play? Apologies if I missed it on another thread.

He was the same era as Willie John and arguably technically better in his positions than Willie John was in his.

As I posted elsewhere, McLoughlin and Syd Millar were forerunners to Porter. Both Test Lions who played either side of the scrum at the highest level. McLoughlin transitioned from No.8 to prop (whiole at UCD). Millar's journey started at out-half(!) when at school.

First selected as a 22 year old Tight-Head in 1962, McLoughlin was on the 1974 side that was the first to win anything by an Irish team since 1951...a 23 year gap. He also played in THAT Baa-Baa's game. McLoughlin was a pivotal figure in the '71 tour of New Zealand, on and off the pitch. He was light years ahead of his time as a thinker and trainer.

He won 40 caps, equivalent to 80 in today's money, despite long absences through injuries.

Stories doing the rounds include:
The morning after a win on the '71 Lions tour (King) Barry John came bouncing in for breakfast and said "Ray boy, The London Times says that i am the best player in the World". McLoughlin's response was: "That's nice Barry...but The Connacht Tribune say that I'm the best player in the world!"
1974. Ireland v Scotland (we won 9-6) to win the 5-Nations Championship for the 1st time since 1951.

At the dinner in the Shelbourne Hotel. Set menu for the players of chicken & chips.

On the other table, the committee/ blazers are tucking into steaks, wine, Champagne etc.

Ray McLoughlan calls the waiter and says “I’ll have a steak like them”.
“I’ll have to ask the committee about that Sir” says the waiter. “Go on then", says Ray. Over he goes and you can see the committee looking over in disgust, muttering away.

The waiter comes back and says “The committee say you may have the steak Mr McLoughlin, on this occasion, but the rest of you stay on the set menu!"

Ray enjoys his steak and then the waiter comes over and says “Gentlemen, for dessert you can choose between jelly & ice cream and tapioca”

Quick as a whippet Ray says “I’ll have another f%~kin' steak thanks”.

And he got it. Cue total pandemonium amongst the Blazers!

Finally an ode to Ray from former Lansdowne, Connacht and Ireland loose-head prop and Poet, Tom Clancy:

The Last Fir Bolg (Ray McLoughlin RIP)
By Tom Clancy

Tonight we shall
A vigil keep
Our last Fir Bolg
Now gently sleeps
Carved from ancient
Galway oak
With torc of gold
And velvet cloak
You watched the fox cubs
Chasing leaves
When scattered by
Cold winter's breeze
Barefooted by
Brave Aughrim's slopes
Hoisting sails
And turning ropes
Great limbs of steel
Above the cogs
From wheeling turf
Through windswept bogs
A blinding Ray
Beguiled the air
As crafty dealers
Left the fair
Now we must keep
Your Connacht shield
One lion heart
From Erin's fields.

ENDS

Ar dheis De go raibh a ainm dilis.

PS - Ronnie Dawson, Millar, Tom Kiernan are the Union's Trustees. They and McBride are the surviving greats of their generation. (Noel 'Noisy' Murphy was a greater off-field grandee than on-field).
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Re: Ray McLoughlin Appreciation Thread

Post by blockhead »

Yeah ye missed it on another thread
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Lovely tribute BR8. Ray would be before my time, playing his last test the year I was born, but I have seen highlights and he was an absolute legend of Irish rugby.

Seeing Tom Clancy's name brings me back to my school days. Tom and Des Fitz (both were past pupils) came to my school when I was in first year for a visit wearing their numbers ones, back when I was a first year. We were flabbergasted by their sheer size, the two of them seemed to fill the vastness of the corridors. I was playing prop for all of 6 months at this stage, and many a crack was made that I'd a way to go catch up with these two behemoths. I caught up mass wise, never playing ability wise
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

RoboProp wrote: November 25th, 2021, 12:10 pm Lovely tribute BR8. Ray would be before my time, playing his last test the year I was born, but I have seen highlights and he was an absolute legend of Irish rugby.

Seeing Tom Clancy's name brings me back to my school days. Tom and Des Fitz (both were past pupils) came to my school when I was in first year for a visit wearing their numbers ones, back when I was a first year. We were flabbergasted by their sheer size, the two of them seemed to fill the vastness of the corridors. I was playing prop for all of 6 months at this stage, and many a crack was made that I'd a way to go catch up with these two behemoths. I caught up mass wise, never playing ability wise
Very modest.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
riocard911
Shane Jennings

Post by riocard911 »

Great tribute backrower8. It was the start of the seventies, when I attended my first int'ls in Lansdowne Road watching the greats like Ray McLoughlin, Willie John, Tom Kiernan, Slatts, Mike Gibson et al. I was in the sea-scouts at the time and the IRFU used to bring us in, give us soup and sambos for lunch in the old Wanderers club house, have us selling programs in our scout uniforms before kick-off and then find a spot for us somewhere thereafter to watch the game - could be on the sideline or up in the stands. Nice to see Tom Clancy's lovely poem, as I later played for Old B U19s in the front row with Tom at loosehead and Johnny Feehan, who later went on to become CEO of the Pro12, 6 Nations and the Lions, at tighthead. Both of them were great guys and wonderful players. Tough too - we looked out for each other!!!
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

riocard911 wrote: November 25th, 2021, 1:30 pm Great tribute backrower8. It was the start of the seventies, when I attended my first int'ls in Lansdowne Road watching the greats like Ray McLoughlin, Willie John, Tom Kiernan, Slatts, Mike Gibson et al. I was in the sea-scouts at the time and the IRFU used to bring us in, give us soup and sambos for lunch in the old Wanderers club house, have us selling programs in our scout uniforms before kick-off and then find a spot for us somewhere thereafter to watch the game - could be on the sideline or up in the stands. Nice to see Tom Clancy's lovely poem, as I later played for Old B U19s in the front row with Tom at loosehead and Johnny Feehan, who later went on to become CEO of the Pro12, 6 Nations and the Lions, at tighthead. Both of them were great guys and wonderful players. Tough too - we looked out for each other!!!
:happy clapper:

Lovely memories of a more homespun era.

I packed down against Tom, Johnny and Des many times..thankfully from the comfort of the backrow.

I will never forget, as a wing-forward/8, the huge concern of my well-decorated top-end loose-head prop before each scrum asgainst Des, as he insisted that I support him properly expecially at 5m defensive scrums, whereas I was mindful of the need for the forst tackle on Mannion or Paul Collins picking at the back. Great props all but literaly in the ha'penny place to the legend of McLoughlin.
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

blockhead wrote: November 25th, 2021, 12:06 pm Yeah ye missed it on another thread
Soz
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

blockhead wrote: November 25th, 2021, 12:06 pm Yeah ye missed it on another thread
I would appreciate if you could point me to where the discussion on the late Ray McLoughlin is. I can't find it.

If it isn't a thread then I still feel he merits his own one, but I would like to read other peoples' takes on his contribution either way. Thanks
RoboProp
Shane Horgan

Post by RoboProp »

Nice trip down memory lane here. I used to pester Des quite a bit as a kid when he'd be out and about; to his credit he always gave me plenty of time and advice.
I've also learned from this thread that BR8 and riocard911 are closer in age to my pal Oldschool than I would have thought. I thought you were pair gossins!
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 11:20 am
I would appreciate if you could point me to where the discussion on the late Ray McLoughlin is. I can't find it.

If it isn't a thread then I still feel he merits his own one, but I would like to read other peoples' takes on his contribution either way. Thanks
it's on the Connacht thread
https://www.leinsterfans.com/forum/view ... =5&t=25978
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 26th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Thank you. I did look around, but obviously not well enough.
Oldschoolsocks
Shane Horgan

Post by Oldschoolsocks »

backrower8 wrote: November 26th, 2021, 6:04 pm
Oldschoolsocks wrote: November 26th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Thank you. I did look around, but obviously not well enough.
Fáilte romhat
ustix
Bookworm

Post by ustix »

That which does not bend breaks
backrower8
Mullet

Post by backrower8 »

Nice one. Thanks
ustix