Players can now transfer between Unions

Forum for the discussion of all International Rugby

Moderator: moderators

Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Players can now transfer between Unions

Post by Dave Cahill »

World Rugby approves birth right amendment for players to transfer unions

The World Rugby Council has approved an amendment to the sport’s regulations governing national team representation that will now permit an international player to transfer once from one union to another subject to demonstrating a close and credible link to that union via birth right.

From 1 January, 2022, in order to transfer from one union to another under the revised Regulation 8 (eligibility), a player will need to achieve the below criteria:

The player must stand-down from international rugby for 36 months
The player must either be born in the country to which they wish to transfer or have a parent or grandparent born in that country
Under the revised Regulation 8 criteria, a player may only change union once and each case will be subject to approval by the World Rugby Regulations Committee to preserve integrity

After 1 January 2022, any player who meets the above criteria can apply immediately for a transfer.

The Regulation 8 revisions will also align the “age of majority” across 15s and sevens. All players will now be ‘captured’ at 18 years of age to simplify the Regulation and improve union understanding and compliance.

Approval of the amended regulation follows requests by emerging nations and a subsequent wide-ranging consultation process with member unions, regions and International Rugby Players examining the possibility of amending the principle within Regulation that stipulates that a player may only represent one union at international level, save for specific circumstances relating to participation in the Olympic Games.

The benefits of the amendment include:

Simplicity and alignment: transfers are currently permitted in the context of participation in the Olympics in the sevens game. This amendment will create one aligned, simplified process across the game

Development of emerging nations: the player depth of emerging nations may be improved by permitting players, who have close and credible links to the “emerging union” through birth or ancestry, to “return” to those unions having previously represented another union

Player-focused approach: the process recognised the modern rugby environment, including global player movement, the current ability to capture players by selecting them on the bench, and the desire of some players to transfer having been selected a limited number of times for one union. It also examined the impact of any change on the integrity of the international competition landscape.

World Rugby Chairman Sir Bill Beaumont said: “Approval of this landmark regulatory change is the culmination of detailed and widespread modelling and consultation across the game. We have listened to our membership and players and sought to update the regulation recognising the modern professional rugby environment without compromising the integrity of the international game.

“Any player who wishes to transfer will need to have a close and credible link to their new union, namely birth right or parent or grandparent birth right while meeting strong criteria, including a 36-month stand down period. We believe that this is the fairest way to implement progressive change that puts players first while also having the potential to support a growing, increasingly competitive international men’s and women’s game.”

World Rugby Vice-Chairman Bernard Laporte added: “We have listened to our membership and honoured our pledge to undertake wide-ranging review of this important regulation. We have consulted, sought feedback from our unions, regions and most importantly to players’ representatives, before making a recommendation to the Council. This change to how international rugby operates will provide transformational opportunities to players with dual backgrounds, providing they meet the key criteria sets out in the Regulation 8.”

International Rugby Players CEO, Omar Hassanein said:“The proposal to change the rules around player eligibility is something that we have worked on over many years with our member associations. Many players across the world will now benefit from the chance to represent the country of their or their ancestors' birth, serving as a real boost to the competitiveness of emerging nations, which in turn, will benefit the game as a whole.”
I have Bumbleflex
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Re: Players can now transfer between Unions

Post by The Doc »

Jordi Murphy to line out for Spain?
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Too late for Isa sadly (for him)/thankfully (for us)
I have Bumbleflex
dropkick
Rhys Ruddock

Post by dropkick »

Kieran Brookes now or soon to be qualified for us. Any more?

I'd say the Scots and Welsh will benefit the most.
jezzer
Rob Kearney

Post by jezzer »

3 years is a long wait without any test caps to transfer.
Twist
Rhys Ruddock

Post by Twist »

*Declan Rice has entered the chat*
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Some former ABs/Wallabies that COULD play test rugby next year:

Samoa
Julian Savea, Victor Vito, Lima Sopoaga, Francis Saili, Steven Luatua, Henry Speight, Chris Feauia-Sautia, Joe Tomane

Tonga
Charles Piutau, Israel Folau, Vaea Fifita, George Moala, Augustine Pulu, Sekope Kepu

@tomvinicombe
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Murray Kinsella accurately pointed out that if Spain qualified for RWC 2023, Jordi Murphy could in theory play for them. His stand down period assuming no more Irish caps would end November 2022.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

dropkick wrote: November 24th, 2021, 3:32 pm Kieran Brookes now or soon to be qualified for us. Any more?

Last played for England in 2016 according to espn stats.
The Doc
Rhys Ruddock

Post by The Doc »

dropkick wrote: November 24th, 2021, 3:32 pm Kieran Brookes now or soon to be qualified for us. Any more?

I would have thought the likes of Tonga could benefit a lot more - luckily for us :shock:
I like your right leg. A lovely leg for the role.
I've got nothing against your right leg.
The trouble is ... neither have you
johng
Gordon D'Arcy

Post by johng »

Be no good to ISA even if he was 10 years younger. Although I presume Dave meant he could have played for NZ rather than us
paddyor
Shane Jennings

Post by paddyor »

So Stander can play for SA in 2024?
Ruddock's tackle stats consistently too low for me to be taken seriously as a Six Nations blindside..... Ruddock's defensive stats don't stack up. - All Blacks Nil, Jan 15th, 2014
England A 8 - 14 Ireland A, 25th Jan 2014
Ruddock(c) 19/2 Tackles
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Freddie Burns could probably declare for Ireland immediately.
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
hugonaut
Shane Jennings

Post by hugonaut »

I suppose that we would primarily be looking for guys with Irish heritage who have been capped by New Zealand, England or Australia. Or guys who had been capped by NZ, Australia or England at U20 with Irish heritage.

Luke Romano could line out for Italy through his Italian grandfather; he's 35 years old and last played for NZ in 2017, but has been winning Super Rugby championships with NZ for a long time. Would be a big addition to them.
limecat
Lazy totalitarian

Post by limecat »

Looking forward to seeing RoG lining out for the US and Heaslip for Israel.
Keep up to date on our facebook page or follow us on mastodon.
blockhead
Rob Kearney

Post by blockhead »

The Vinipola's, arnt they Welsh?
You know I'm going to lose,
And gambling's for fools,
But that's the way I like it baby, I don't want to live FOREVER!
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

blockhead wrote: November 24th, 2021, 5:52 pm The Vinipola's, arnt they Welsh?
Born in Australia to Tongan parents, residency not counting for this new set up.
Oldschool
Cian Healy

Post by Oldschool »

Who are the main winners and losers.
NZ, Oz and England perhaps?
Mirror, Mirror on the Wall who's the greatest player of them all? It is Drico your majesty.
neill_m
Rhys Ruddock

Post by neill_m »

Measure only just past the necessary majority, 76% for, 75% needed. 39 votes for, 11 No and 1 sat on the fence.
Dave Cahill
Devin Toner

Post by Dave Cahill »

Of course this works the other way as well. Considering that a significant number of players for Samoa and Tonga are born in New Zealand and Australia, they can go the other way too
I have Bumbleflex